“Frequent Guest at the Bayfront Inn 5th Ave”

Bayfront Inn 5th Ave
Ranked #31 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Naples, Florida
“Frequent Guest at the Bayfront Inn 5th Ave”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

My business takes me to Naples one to two times a month and I always stay at the Bayfront. I find the the rooms comfortable and the staff extremely helpful and accomodating. I was happy to learn that Nicolas was recently and deservingly promoted to desk manager. I have found him to always go out of his way to make my stay comfortable.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank XYZ1211

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

I took a trip to Naples with my Wife and Son and my Wife wanted to stay as close as possible to 5th Ave shopping and dining, as well as near the Beach. My love of boating had me drawn to the Marina area that is just outside of the Bayfront Inn 5th Ave so we chose to stay there. The Hotel was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. We loved the Bar area that overlooks the Marina as well as the fact that this location was mere blocks from all we needed to enjoy our visit. Their rates were quite affordable considering the amenities, location and upscale decor. My Wife and I plan to return to frequently and I don't see any reason to stay anywhere else other than this hotel which we had a great experience with. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room overlooking the Marina.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Peekispop
Tampa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

A romantic weekend turned into physical threats by the front desk manager, Nicholas. We selected BayFront Inn as the hotel for a special weekend. She lives in Ft. Lauderdale and I live in Tampa, so we thought Naples would be a good meeting destination. We arrived Friday evening and were set to check out Sunday. I called Sunday morning and scheduled us for a late checkout. We wanted to try and maximize the amount of time with each other. We were running slightly behind schedule (she surprised me with a couples massage down the street on 5th Ave). Checkout time was 1pm. We raced back to the hotel and started packing at 12:50pm. We finally had all of our bags packed and we were ready to leave when we received a phone call at 1:25pm. This phone call would certainly ruin the entire trip for us. She answered the phone and proceeded to stay silent for the next few minutes while the front desk manager, Nicholas, berated her. She politely asked him to lower his tone, but the harassment continued until she finally hung up the phone. He called back. Keep in mind it is 1:30 now and we are trying to walk out the door. I answered and Nicholas proceeded to give me a verbal lashing telling me that "we need to get our -- and get out". At this point we are completely speechless. We had no altercations or problems leading up to this. I asked for his name and after telling me his first name he followed up with it by aggressively telling me to "just wait because he was headed up to the room".

At this point we are afraid this Manager is going to show up and cause physical harm. He then pounds on the door. We open the door and Nicholas again proceeds to yell at us and tell us how rude we are for staying past our checkout time of 1pm. Keep in mind it is about 1:35pm. He continued his verbal thrashing for a few minutes and ended it with "Get the -- out of my hotel before I slap you". We tried several times to shut the door so we could grab our bags, but Nicholas put his foot in the door stopping us from closing it. We were finally able to reason with him in letting us shut the door so we could grab our things and get out of there.

Granted we were past our checkout time by 25minutes, but never in my life would I have expected to be treated this way. We were two paying customers being threatened with physical violence because we were 25 minutes past checkout. We honestly felt assaulted and afraid. Hopefully they will correct this issue and fire this employee. I know we will never go back if he is still employed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jworm119
Bahigg, General Manager at Bayfront Inn 5th Ave, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear Sir, although I deeply regret the circumstances which occurred during your stay, you have not shared a truthful account. To an experienced Trip Advisor reader I feel that your review will appear to be suspicious, and very out of character for our hotel. Sir, you had requested a 1:00 late checkout which our front desk had granted to you (1:00 being the latest we will allow a guest to check out and not be charged for a partial day) It is necessary that check out times are adhered to because many times another guest is in the lobby or restaurant waiting to check into a room that you may be occupying and or housekeeping is waiting to service that room. At 1:30 our housekeeping staff informed the front desk manager that you had still not checked out of your room and also that there appeared to be a disturbance coming from inside the room that could be heard by the other guests in the hotel. After investigating the disturbance the front desk manager at his discretion waited to give your room a reminder call at approximately 1:40. The first time that he called he was hung up on the second time he called you were angry and abusive over the phone. When our manager personally came to your room you were physically aggressive and your posture was threatening, standing only inches away from his face as you insulted him (This was witnessed by hotel staff). It was at this point that you became an unwelcomed guest at the hotel and were asked to leave, which you refused. It was only when the circumstances escalated to extreme, and that you were threatened with police action that you gathered your things and left the hotel. We have recorded video footage of you coming to the front desk and shaking our front desk manager’s hand and apologizing as you leave the hotel. The quote that you have chosen to share was the end result of your abusive and demeaning treatment of another human being who finally was broken down and lost his composure. It is extremely unfair that you would center your review on this one individual and this statement, but give a completely untrue account of the actual circumstances, your own behavior, and your abuse of our staff. The Bayfront Inn strives to treat all individuals who enter our property from guests, to staff, to service people, with the highest level of dignity and respect. With this in mind an extreme circumstance is capable of pushing a normally calm respectful individual to a point where they lose control and do or say something that they would not normally do or say. Our manager has been disciplined, and retrained regarding his loss of composure, however because of your severe treatment of him and his past excellent reputation the hotel could in no way justify his termination. Although we apologize for this and have personally spoken with you regarding this, you have chosen to use Trip Advisor as means of extracting vengeance over a situation for which you hold a major portion of responsibility, and this is not the intended purpose of Trip Advisor. We appreciate the opportunity given to us by Trip Advisor to respond to your review and believe that the Trip Advisor readers will continue to rely on the high opinions and reviews of our many satisfied guests. It is also our belief that the Trip Advisor readers will regard your review as a suspicious and an incomplete account of a very unfortunate event that occurred at the Bayfront Inn, and definitely not a typical occurrence.
Naples, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our one year anniversary. We were so excited as it seemed like a great place. We payed lots of money for this room in hopes to get a better experience then a cheaper hotel.
When we first got into the room I spotted a tiny little bug or two in the bathroom. I didn't think much of it and we kept on enjoying our time. That night we came back to the room for dinner and we brought a small bag of sour patch kids with us. We opened them up and set them on the dresser. Later on, when I went to eat a few I found small bugs in my bag of candy. I kept on finding more and more in there.. and was really starting to get freaked out by it. While my husband and I were laying in our bed, we found several bugs in the sheets. EW!!! Our bag of candy continued to attract more and more bugs (they were like tiny ant like looking bugs) By the morning time, our room was filled with small bugs. (in the bed, in our candy, in the bathroom, all over my husbands laptop... pretty much everywhere!)
So, of course we confronted the front desk, a manager talked to us and proceeded to tell us that it was our fault and we had brought the bugs in with us. He was very rude, not compassionate or wanting to make things right. He did not once offer to reimburse us. We went on to tell him that NEVER have we ever stayed in a hotel where there were bugs all in the bed and everything. He didn't seem to care one bit. He ended up hanging up on my husband (the manager called us in our hotel room) . Then, my husband got in contact with the manager's manager and he was a little nicer.. but still did not want to refund us for the bugs. FINALLY we got him to give us $50 toward our room. But I thought that didn't mean much considering we were in a room FULL of bugs on the night of our 1 year anniversary. It was quite the bummer.. and made it very hard to enjoy our night.
Even when we were checking out of the hotel.. we were treated very poorly by the man at the front desk... not once did he say that they were so very sorry for the bugs.. but instead he asked us if we were the bug people. Sigh. Not good.
So sad that customer service in America has gotten so so terrible. I would suggest not to stay here if you want a nice, pleasant time ... way overpriced for their terrible customer service.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ELE933
Bahigg, General Manager at Bayfront Inn 5th Ave, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
As you were aware, the "bugs" that were in your room were Sugar Ants and are extremly common in SW Florida. Although we follow a strict pest control treatment program at the hotel, it can be a challange at times when guests bring sugary foods into their rooms and do not take precautionary measures to keep them tightly sealed, or they eat while working on their laptop or while watching TV in bed. We did respond to your needs as soon as soon as you informed us the next day. It is always a touchy situation whenever a guest has contibuted to a situation or challange that has occured durring their stay, especially when they are seeking compensation. We always do try to be fair and in this case although we did not grant your first compensation request of a free stay, we did grant you your second request which was a discounted rate. This was very fair considering all of the circumstances. In regards to poor customer service there is more to this story that is not being said. In this case I know that you were treated with kindness and respect, but as I said the final outcome was not your first choice. We realize that this particular scenario will always put us at risk with Trip Advisor, however we must do what we feel is right despite the possibility of negative consequences.
I noticed that you are local residents of Naples. In addition to the discount that you have already recieved, I would be very happy if you would consider returning to our hotel for a complementary dinner for two at our Bambu Grille restaurant. Please contact me personally to make this reservation.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed about a month ago. I liked it. Good parking, the room was quaint. Bed was comfy. Nice view from the bar. Overal I liked my stay there. I would go back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MissMiami
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

I got a great deal on this property. front desk was exceptionally helpful, our connecting flight was cancelled and we didnt get our luggage with us - they made arrangements to have it delivered to the Hotel.

TIP: try and get direct flights if you are travelling in the US

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

I found this hotel on Hotwire and got the last room. It was a lovely hotel, good location. There was a wedding reception unfortunately, with many loud and drunk people attending. That was the only drawback.

Room Tip: The best rooms face the bay. I did not have one of those. Also, if you use Hotwire to reserve the ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple