“Fine Dining at Chez Boet”

Chez Boet-French Home Cooking
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Boet-French Home Cooking is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 987 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Naples
Cross street: 8th Street South
Transit: We are located in the historic village of Crayton Cove, steps from the City Dock in downtown Naples, Florida.
Description: Established in 2003, Chez Boet is a chic neighborhood bistro serving country French cuisine and owned and operated by Lisa & Philippe Boet. The menu reflects the Boets' experiences in France spending long weekends in the French countryside with family and friends, cooking traditional, home-style dishes with what came from the family farm and garden.Under the direction of Lisa Boet, Chez Boet's culinary team prepares dishes including Pate Maison, French Onion Soup, Bouillabaisse, Roasted Orange Duck, Boeuf Bourguignon, along with fresh local seafood and authentic Moroccan tagines, served with locally grown, seasonal produce.Cheese and Chocolate Fondue is also on the menu. Chez Boet has a full bar with cocktails prepared by Philippe Boet, varied wine list, and covered terrace for outdoor dining. Private parking in rear. Healthy children's menu and pet-friendly terrace. Proud founder of Naples Originals, the finest independent restaurants. Chez Boet has been named the City of Naples first certified green restaurant.
Naples, Florida
“Fine Dining at Chez Boet”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Many years ago I ate in the same restaurant when it was under another name. Recently when the other nearby French restaurant was booked, I decided to return under the new French theme. The cuisine is so improved I would now truthfully proclaim it the best French restaurant in Naples.
After a 10 year absence, I recently dined there three times in the last two months. It's a married couples ownership. The husband, Philippe is French, his wonderful wife Lisa and their child all speak French. Service is 1st class with a knowledgeable staff. I usually get the steak frites ( beautiful beef and fries) or moules frites (mussels and fries on the side). The steak is just over $40 but worth every cent.
I have taken a date there twice. The first time I was seated in a side by side so I requested it again. I think its Table 27. Ask Madame Lisa. Very romantic. There are plenty of places to eat in Olde Naples near 3rd street. I've lived in Naples 25 years and eaten in all of them. Of the high end places, I think the Chez ("place") is the best. And you don't feel rushed.

• Visited January 2014

“A Naples "Must Dine" Experience!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We discovered Chez Boet several years ago when it was The Bamboo Cafe. We always have a delicious meal and the sevice is impeccable. We've dined there for New Year's Eve several times, but since we were out of town last week we went last night. My husband had the Onion Soup and Beef Bourgignone (sp?). I had Foie Gras and Snapper in parchment, which was out of this world. We splurged on desert - the pear special and a fresh fruit Napolean! Yumm!

What sets Chez Boet apart, in my opinion, is the attention the owners pay to their guests. Lisa Boet stopped by our table the very first time we dined there, and she remembered us the following year. Last night both she and Phillipe couldn't have been nicer, and since they weren't as busy as a weekend, we learned alot about Naples Originals, a group of fine dining independent restaurants in the greater Naples area.

Of course, we wouldn't keep returning unless the food was delicious!

• Visited January 2014
“Disappointing and poor service”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Reserved dinner for 11 people, of which 5 children, and arrived at 6.30pm in order to be able to order early and not wait too long being served. First reception wasn't optimal, they fitted us att 2 different round tables, unable to host us all at one table. We eventually managed to convince them to join 2 round tables in order to sit together, and we had to help moving the tables...
Once sat and ordered (uncomplicated order) , it took them 1hour to serve us the first dish (escargot - their recommendation...), and yet another 20 minutes before they brought 3 of the 5 children's dishes (hamburger and pasta), with the 2 remaining children waiting yet another 10 minutes. We kindly remixed and asked for the food 3 times, not getting very comforting nor polite answers, even less an excuse.
Food quality was ok, nothing more. Service insufficient (yes, they were full), but the largest joke was the bill that included a service charge of 18% - with the opportunity of adding more !
Not one excuse, not one thank you

3 Thank Frafranz
lisamkboet, Owner at Chez Boet-French Home Cooking, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Sir:

We regret that you were not satisfied with your experience at Chez Boët as we take personal pride in doing our best to serve all our guests with great care and attention. It was indeed an extremely busy evening on December 30 with many large groups. I distinctly remember your reservation because it was very confusing. In fact, you made two separate reservations: one for a party of 5 and later one for a party of 6. It appeared as though you had made a mistake online and you were changing the number from 5 to 6 guests.

While I attempted to confirm this in advance, the telephone number you listed (overseas phone number) was incomplete therefore would not ring through. In addition, we sent you an email which you did not respond to. Upon your arrival, you announced it was for a party of 11. As all of our large tables were already booked, we did our best and joined two adjacent tables together. Making reservations online is perhaps convenient, but not such a good idea when you require special attention or have special needs. Nothing beats a personal phone call! As an aside, my husband and I personally answer all phone calls to Chez Boët.

Please know that we serve SLOW FOOD, i.e., all of our food is made to order, from scratch, and most of our guests enjoy dining with us for two hours or more. For a party of 8 or more, we estimate a dining time of 2.5 to 3 hours. I understand with young children that a leisurely pace is not compatible with their schedules and we do try to serve our children their dinners as quickly as possible, at the same time as warm appetizers for the adults. As their dinners are truly prepared and cooked in our kitchen, these too take time to prepare. Your entire time with us was 1.75 hours, a quick turn around, in our world!

Our loyal diners (many of whom have enjoyed dining with us over the past 10 years) know they are welcome to bring their children or grandchildren to Chez Boet so that they too may enjoy the high-quality food we serve, however, they call me to personally book their table. During busy nights, my suggestion is to come early, when we open around 5 to 5:30 p.m., and not in the middle of dinner rush during one of our busiest weeks during the year.

Moral of the story, SLOW is good, personal attention is offered, take advantage of it! We are different than 99% of restaurants in America as we actually cook all of our food from high-quality primary ingredients and eschew pre-prepared ingredients and dishes. We are true food artisans and we are proud!
Loveland, Ohio, USA
“Waited so long 3 iPads and 2 iPhones ran out of battery”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Excellent food (except the tagine was too small and served with a cream sauce), but some of the worst service we have had in awhile. Finally received our dinners more than 2 hours after our 6:45pm arrival at the restaurant. We were a large table, but had reserved the day before, so they knew we were coming. We had 3 small children (also noted in the reservation) and made it clear that we needed to get their food quickly and move along so the children wouldn't get too tired, but it was completely ignored. Went through every electronic device we had trying to entertain them all night as they waited for their food (came AFTER the salads even though we asked for it first) and then their dessert. Our server started out grumpy and just got worse as the night went on, even arguing with us when we asked to chill our wine as it was served a bit warm. When we complained about the wait, we got more of an excuse than an apology "sorry, we are busy preparing for New Year's Eve tomorrow so weren't ready for such a big crowd tonight". Um, so tomorrow's clients are more important than the ones here now? And the walk-ins are more important than those who reserved? I guess the obligatory 18% tip for our large party meant we weren't entitled to actual good service. Even dessert took forever to be delivered. When we finally got the bill, not one single thing was reduced as a gesture of apology!!! We asked to speak with the owners, and while she apologized again, told us she didn't really "do" reductions because they are a lone restaurant. We insisted and finally she went to see what she could do, and came back with the coffees and after dinner drink reduced - $20 off a bill of almost $800! Wow, what a gesture.
Loved the atmosphere, location, and food but just can't go back due to the poor service and attitude. So disappointing, was looking forward to having an authentic French restaurant to go to in Naples, but will have to keep looking.

Dear Sir:

We are so pleased to hear that you found our food excellent. Yet I must remind you that excellent food demands great care and attention to prepare and serve. In fact, most days I begin prepping for our evening service at 8 a.m. sourcing the highest quality ingredients, baking, and marinating, among other tasks, all of which are truly a labor of love. Most of our ingredients come from local producers and artisans who take pride in their art, mirroring our commitment to quality and hand-crafted food. Some of our specialty fine foods are imported from France.

I fear your expectations are incompatible with our reality. You arrived with a table of 14 in the middle of dinner rush during one of our busiest weeks all year. As I have previously described, we estimate 2.5 to 3 hours minimum for a large party (8 or more guests.) Once again, we serve SLOW food and we take pride in doing so!

We did serve your children their meals as quickly as possible, right after salads were served. Cold always precedes hot. Their dishes were made to order and lovingly prepared in our artisan kitchen. If I may be so daring, I would suggest that if your children require the aid of electronic devices to hold their attention, perhaps you would have enjoyed your evening more had you arranged for child care and dined “sans enfants?” A second option would have been to book your table early, at 5 to 5:30 p.m., before the dinner rush. Most of our large parties do book with us personally (vs. online) which allows us to better assist them with their specific needs and desires.

I was quite shocked and appalled when I was summoned to your table and you demanded that I discount your food. This was a first for me. As I politely explained to you: Excellent food is never discounted.

Unfortunately for all of us foodies, most restaurants in America no longer cook their food. Our biggest challenge is that guest expectations are molded by the industrial fast food world where everything comes out of boxes and bags, pre-prepared and heated up last minute with the aid of a steamer or micro-wave. No real chef ever touches this sorry excuse for food. Lamentably, this has created a food culture of short attention spans and a total disregard for the reality of what it means to practice the art of fine cooking.

At Chez Boët, we have always taken the challenging road and we will not compromise. We remain proud purveyors of excellent quality hand-crafted food and for this sir, I will never apologize!
Naples, Florida
“chez bonet”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

sad to say as year round residents we tried this restaurant Christmas eve...we arrived a little early for our reservation but around the time of opening. We were rudely told they were behind schedule to open so we asked to sit at the bar..no luck...when we left around 6:30 restaurant was almost empty....so much for being so busy with reservations.

Meal was disappointingly meager at most. Tagine couscous was not adequately cooked. The soup was good as an entrée.
but tagines were very disappointing..hardly any vegetables or flavor.

4 Thank shadrin
Twas the night before Christmas in the front-of-the-house, the servers were preparing for a busy evening without a doubt. As they polished the silver and set up the terrace, a couple arrived and they were not from Paris. They arrived before five, very un-European, yet were politely greeted and offered a seat to wait in until the dining room was set and the mies-en-place was completed.

I in my “Bonet” and my chefs in their caps, we chopped and we prepped to prepare for our guests soon to arrive “en masse.”

When the opening hour arrived, the guests were promptly offered their seats, and their orders were placed without missing a beat.

To finish the story without further adieu, some people are not happy no matter what you do. Each Christmas Eve, no matter how hard we try, there is inevitably a “Scrooge” to put things in a negative light.

Merry Christmas to all and happy holidays too, be sure to join us for fine food and spirits and holiday cheer anytime of the year.