“Great Day on the Water”

Down South Charters - Capt. Mike Schmidt
More attraction details
Owner description: Down South Charters offers an extravagant experiance of fishing in the backwaters of the 10,000 Islands and Everglades National Park.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Had a great day fishing the inland waters with Captain Mike. He put us on Red Fish and Snook and we even had a hook-up on a Tarpin.Captain Mike's boat and fishing gear are very clean and well maintained. We look foward to the next charter we take with Down South Charters.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I book several fishing charters a year around the world so I'm a pretty solid authority on guides. Captain Mike did everything you want from a guide. Starting with having a great boat. The boat got up around 55 mph on plane and we got an awesome ride around the Glades. Very stable and plenty of room.

Our first stop was just off shore where we caught a variety of species. One highlight was watching a large shark prowl around near our boat. After picking off a ton of fish around the shoreline, we moved in-shore and parked in a honey-hole. We sat in that hole and caught everything imaginable including my first goliath grouper, my first snook and a few other types of fish. We moved around the glades and caught many more snook.

Any day where you can catch 8-10 species of fish and cross some firsts off your list, it's a great day. I highly recommend Mike if you are Naples.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Captain Mike is the man!!!!! If you are looking for one of the greatest fishing trips you could take in Florida, this is it people. We went out for 2/3 day and couldn't have had more fun. We had an overall group of about 20 people and three of us went with Capt. Mike, needless to say that our boat FAR out-fished our entire group. His knowledge and expertise led us to catch 8 different species of fish and about 60-80 fish total, now you know why I titled my review 'sore arms'! His boat is as nice as they come and is awesome to fish from, multiple bait/live wells and a nice casting platform up front....the ultimate Everglades machine. I've taken guided fishing excursions before and sometimes the guide is there to just make some money and really could care less if you catch much.......not Capt Mike. He worked really hard all day to keep us on the bite as we moved from spot to spot, pounding the fish! You need to contact him today for your trip, unless you don't like catching fish in which case you should just stay on the dock! It is also worth mentioning that Capt Mike is also a pretty fun guy to spend the day with!

1  Thank Jake P
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Captain Mike was a great guide. He showed us the proper fishing techniques and then put us on the fish. We caught an released over 25 snook, redfish, grouper and snapper. I would highly recommend him if you're not looking for a great fishing day!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have chartered Captain Mike many times. I have referred many of my friends. We have always caught a ton of fish - including dinner..! Capt. Mike has an uncanny knowledge of the backwater areas in SW FL. His boat is rigged for pure fishing - multiple live wells, remote controlled trolling motor, power pole - these are absolute essentials for success. The engine goes from stop, to on-plane, in an instant to effortlessly move from hot-spot to hot-spot! If you want to have an awesome experience saltwater fishing in SW FL, Captain Mike & Down South Charters is a slam dunk!