“Fun and casual atmosphere, fresh food”
Review of Real Macaw

Real Macaw
Reserve with OpenTable
Real Macaw is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #252 of 987 Restaurants in Naples
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Richmond, Virginia
“Fun and casual atmosphere, fresh food”
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Popped in here after a visit to the nearby Botanical Gardens. We were a little worried at first because it didn't look open from the street. Actually- it looked a little ramshackle from the street and I doubt we would have tried it had we not been with a local resident. The colorful outdoor dining atmosphere is charming and with leafy palm and bamboo fronds shading the tables. It would have been tranquil but for the odd choice of pumping top 40 dance music that seemed a mismatch for the tropical setting. Food was fresh and well prepared- no frills. We waited quite a while for our food but we just chalked it up to the "island lifestyle" setting and took it as a cue to relax and have another drink. The macadamia nut encrusted goat cheese salad and Kobe burger were both yummy.

1 Thank CraigsOrganizer

Naples, Florida
“A lovely hidden spot”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We dined in a lush tropical setting with a real macaw in attendance.

The food was outstanding, original, generous, and top quality.

Go for the ambiance of this little hidden, secret garden. You will be intrigued as I was.

2 Thank ataboscoe
Aurora, Canada
“Want Atmosphere and Fun? Here it is!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Loved this teeny, tiny restaurant that has a delightful happy hour and the food is fantastic. The fish and chips are my favourite. Watch you don't miss it - it's tucked away and you may have to double-back. Parking is not so good - they need to increase your parking lot. Highly recommend it! Enjoy!

Visited January 2013
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Dinner at the Real Macaw”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were recommended to the restaurant by our Concierge who knows that we like 'different' restaurants. It is an eclectic place with different rooms within what can only be discribed as a converted house. The bar has both and inside and outside area and the deccor is very carribean.
The food is slightly expensive but was very good, a little bit different and beautifully cooked. It was nice to chat with the lady who was the Manager / Owner and we swopped a few stories and had a bit of a chat about 70's music.... We went in November so it was pretty quiet on the night that we went but probably absolutely 'buzzing' in season.
It was also great to finish our meal listening to the music of Doc...great pianist/vocalist (voice like Robert Palmer / Bill Withers) but it was a shame that we were pretty much the only table left to listen.....
Also the lady that was working behind the bar let me borrow her cell phone to phone our Hotel to ask one of our front of house guys to come and pick us up....really kind of her and much appreciated !
All in all, a good night was had !!

• Visited November 2012
Venice, Florida
“Unbelievably good!!”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We moved to Naples two months ago and have been exploring many restaurants. The Real Macaw is right down the street from us, but we were put off by the exterior, which looks a little dumpy. On Christmas Eve, we decided to go out spur of the moment. We were headed downtown to see what was open. We saw that the Real Macaw was open and decided to give it a try. What a nice surprise!! The decor was kind of Florida funky. I'm not good at descriptions, but this was definitely different, and I loved it!! There was a real macaw, a beautiful bird, that they moved out of the area eventually due to his excessive squawking, but I wish they hadn't!! We sat at the bar to eat, but I peeked in the restaurant and it was really cute. "Peeking in" is not accurate, since everything is fairly open.

Heather at the bar was wonderful. She recommended everything on the menu except the fried food, but only because she doesn't eat fried food, so she didn't know if it was good or not. I wasn't that hungry and ordered the crab cake appetizer, which would have been enough for a meal even if I had been hungry. My husband ordered the mahi mahi, and it was exquisite. I NEED to go back soon so I can order it myself!! Portions were ample, the presentation was exquisite. The drink menu was also plentiful -- I had a painkiller; for some reason, these are only good in Florida and some Caribbean islands. It was exceptional.

The menu has several fish entrees, chicken, duck, pork--I don't understand why, but there are not really any seafood restaurants here, so if a restaurant offers any appealing seafood, I usually get it. I'm sure the other entrees are just as good.

The food descriptions put me off a little "Cashew Encrusted Wild Salmon" -- Cedar wood-roasted wild salmon encrusted with cashew nuts topped with fruit salsa. (I brought a menu home.) Heather assured us that the cook has been with the owner 30 years, is from Trinidad, and knows what he's doing with food. I believe her.

The prices were lower than most Naples restaurants, but still not cheap. The mahi was $26. However, compared to the $39 for grouper I've seen at some restaurants, this would be considered a bargain. The food was definitely gourmet, both in taste and presentation; the only thing not gourmet about it was the plentiful portions.

I can't say enough about the atmosphere (not fancy, tho -- if you like to dress up, this is not the place), the food the service--I have no recent memory of enjoying a restaurant so much.There are so many restaurants here I have been reluctant to visit the same one twice, but I will happily return to the Real Macaw over and over. Definitely my favorite restaurant so far. I almost hate to give it such a good review -- I'd like to keep this place to myself!!

• Visited December 2012