“Surprisingly good”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North Naples
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I sometimes eat lunch at the pavilion shopping center and once long ago, I had lunch at Pad Thai. I don't recall anything bad but don't recall anything great. So in my never ending quest to add some variety to my daily lunch trip with a handful of my co-workers, I suggested Pad Thai.

I'm glad I did - and so are my co-workers. Half of us ordered the panang curry and will no doubt be back for more. One lady asked for a spoon so she could finish the remaining sauce in her bowl. The soup of the day (comes with your meal) was chicken noodle and was average. But the curry was excellent and only around $7. There were two other tables with patrons so the place was relatively quiet, which made talking to friends enjoyable. (During season in naples it's hard to find a place to eat that isnt over run with cattle who drown the place with loud voices.) Although this place is all the way up in north naples, we'll be back soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is the second time we tried Pad Thai. Our first experience I would have rated it highly. I had the same dishes green curry with beef and Thai soup with shrimp. We love Thai cooking and lived in Thailand for 3 years. My wife and guests had similar dishes, two with red curry and one green.
The soup tasted like dish water and had no lemon grass in it. It was not spicy as requested. It did have 3 shrimp which was at the low end, but OK. All of the curries were not likeable. One guest said it left a bad taste in his mouth, plus was not spicy. I had a similar experience and must say, this was the worst green curry ever experienced. The curry also had the most bamboo shoots that I have experienced, which was likely one of the reasons for the bad taste.
We asked the waiter if the restaurant had changed hands, since it had been several months since having dined there. He said no, it has been owned by the same people for twelve years. However, the husband and wife chefs change on given nights. This night was the husband -likely the previous night was cooked by the wife.
Advise to check before going

1  Thank Len H
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had planned to go to KC American Bistro last night because of the ratings on tripadvisor. However, when we got there all eight tables were busy. I should have made note of the comments reviewers made of the size of the restaurant and called for reservations. Well, we walked on and went into Pad Thai in this strip mall. We were their only customers on a Saturday evening, which made me skeptical. I hadn't read their reviews before we ate there. However, the cashew beef we ordered was very good.

We arrived in Naples that Saturday afternoon and I had walked around that mall picking up menus from the various restaurants, when possible. Some were closed and had menus outside. Pad Thai was closed and had no menus outside the door. Two ladies walked up and wanted to go there for lunch. They had been there earlier in the week but hadn't noticed that the restaurant is open for lunch only Monday through Friday. They told me they enjoyed their lunch and therefore returned for another meal.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We really didn't expect a lot from this restaurant that was hidden away in a small strip mall. We were very pleasantly surprised. My party tried a few appetizers and they were all tasty. The Mee Krob, which was crispy fried rice noodles with shrimp and chicken in a sweet and sour sauce, was delicious. The only complaint was that the portions of shrimp and chicken were a little lacking. Our entrees were all plentiful, with the Red Curry Duck being outstanding. The prices were moderate and we will definitely return when back in Naples.

1  Thank jjfisher406
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Based on many of the good reviews, my husband and I tried Pad Thai. Convenient location and moderate prices. However, the food was bland, over cooked and forgettable. If we wanted chinese food, we would have gone to a chinese restaurant. The food did not seem fresh at all. We ordered the Mee Krob appetizer and the little bit of chicken in it, seemed like it had been overcooked and used previously. My noodle salad was watery, with limp lettuce and no vegetables to speak of.

We would never go back and were very dissapointed.