“Anniversary dinner”

Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The seafood was wonderfully prepared and beautifully presented, great wine list too. Dined al fresco with a great sea breeze!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Every year I attend a luncheon business meeting at the Naples Beach Hotel and the attendees order lunch from the regular menu. Every year the food and service is bad and this year was no exception. An associate and I decided to share the crab cakes and a Greek salad and asked for the two items to be split onto two plates. Our server brought a Greek salad with the crab cakes, two rolls, a pat of butter and three containers of dressings dumped on top - and a separate plate.
When we asked our server to prepare it the way we had asked she couldn't understand why I would object to hot crab cakes and everything else put on top of a salad. Anyway, she took it away and came back about 10 minutes later with the salad divided on two plates and the crab cakes (which were now cold) on a bare plate served with a tasteless remoulade and one miniature piece of lemon. The crab cakes had clearly been frozen, were bland, and mostly breadcrumbs. If it's possible to make a bad Greek salad this kitchen somehow managed to do it. It consisted of chopped, wilted romaine (maybe it was wilted from the hot crab cakes), tiny cut-up bits of tomato and cucumber, a few small pieces of feta and a couple of olives. It was served with a strange bright green dressing that had no taste whatsoever. The price for this was the real joke-$15 for the crab cakes and $14.50 for the salad. If I had been paying I would have sent it back and left.
Last year I had a grouper sandwich and I have my doubts about what kind of fish it really was. If it was grouper it wasn't fresh. It was very fishy and totally overcooked, served with some soggy curly fries that were obviously frozen. I can't remember what I ate the year before that- I must have blocked it out.
The only reason this place does any business must be because of the view which really is beautiful and is the only reason I'm giving it two stars. The kitchen really has a lot of nerve putting out such lousy food and charging those prices. I concur with another reviewer who suggested going for a couple of drinks and the sunset and eating somewhere else. Next year I'll eat at home before I go to the meeting.

1  Thank quietcat
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Dined at HB's tonight. Went to enjoy a Naples sunset which did not disappoint. However, my wife ordered poached grouper with orzo which was drowned in broth and I ordered the 12oz rib-eye which was dry and tasteless. What made it worse was the price-$32 for the grouper and $28 for the rib-eye. With a soup and salad, the tab for two came to $83. Our advice, go for drinks and sunset, not dinner. Server, Bridgid was engaging and very nice.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Excellent food and eating on the beach is such a fun experience. Very busy so reservations recommended.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had a wonderful "Ladies Luncheon" at HB's on the Gulf. The view was relaxing! The food was wonderful! Most tried soups, salads and sandwiches. All were very good! Everyone was pleased. I tried the Jamaican Pineapple Boat which had Curried chicken salad with pineapple, grapes, cashews and toasted coconut and was served with cream cheese and banana nut finger sandwich. The curried chicken salad was not overbearing with curry - and freshly made. Fruits were tasty and fresh from market too. Nice blend of everything. Their ice tea was freshly brewed. The servers were very accommodating to our group and provided separate checks (9 ppl). HB's is truly a perfect lunch spot on the beach in Naples! We will go back again and again.....