“Frog Legs, Really?”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Naples
Description: Le Lafayette French Restaurant a purveyor of real french traditional cuisine since 2001. Family owned and operated For the past 16 years, customers at Le Lafayette have felt at home That's because everyone who walks through the doors is immediately greeted like family. We are known throughout Naples for our elegant style, hard work and ability to make customers feel acknowledge . Recently renovated and expanded to include a light and contemporary outside bar, the restaurant is attracting clientele of all ages. "From the coq au vin and duck a l'orange to the crepes Suzette, we are traditional. You come for the whole French experience.
Reviewed June 5, 2012

3 course dinner menu, 18.95 per person with a bottle of wine, choice of 2 starters, 5 different entree choices, 3 dessert choices and yes, i ordered the frog legs. Real good, Real French Gourmet Restaurant.

1  Thank pjdpri

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Mother's Day Brunch Ruined!! Please see our complaint letter to the establishment and the snarky response we received in return. To add to the problem, we were promised a credit for one of the overcharges we were disputing, and instead, the charge to our credit card is $50 more than we authorized!!
We had reserved an outside table and didn't get it. My husband returned to the restaurant and was told nobody could do anything.

Dear Chef and Management,
I am very upset and disappointed about our experience today for Mother's Day Brunch. When I called to make a reservation, I was told that the price was $26.95 per person, with children adjusted accordingly. I booked a table for 6, 2 of whom were kids. When we received our bill, it had a total cost of $275. Upon asking why, we were told that the price was $39.95, even for the 2 kids who barely ate anything and obviously had no champagne. Furthermore, we were not informed of any extra charges and were not presented with any menu indicating the true cost of the brunch per person. As it turns out, we were also charged extra for coffee. In addition, upon arrival the hosts outside gave us a million reasons why we couldn't have an outside table, citing names of more important customers. From the time we arrived we did not feel welcome. Lastly, your bill states that gratuity is included, when in reality it isn't. We came to find that out when our server inquired about the tip. Unfortunately, we had already been severely overcharged and had only $20 left to give him a tip on $275. While the food and our server were very good, we feel very mislead - not only between the cost I was quoted and what the cost actually turned out to be, but by the fact that a 10 and 6 year old who shared an omelet and had a few mini desserts were charged $80 for their meal. I would appreciate a resolution to these issues with a credit to our credit card. The experience has put a damper on our happy day as well as a damper on my feelings about the restaurant.

Response from Restaurant:
Thank you very much for these comments. Without feedback it is possible for us to make a mistake without knowing it. It was a mistake for the kids under 12, normally they should be charged half price. I will credit the difference back to your card.
I have talked to your server Justin to make sure this won't happen again.
As for the rest of your email, I find some problems with the story you're telling.
I personally brought you to your table, and did not mention any other name of any other client, only that the large tables outside had already been requested when they were booked. I have reviewed this email with Chef Sebastien, the owner of the Lafayette, and with Justin, the waiter who took care of your table.
I believe you may have confused our brunch with another restaurant, because we have never offered a brunch at $26.95. Just for your information, you never put any tip on your receipt. Again thank you for your input,

Our Return Response to th Restaurant:
Thank you for your response. There is no "story" and this is the only restaurant I called. This was our experience. The day I called and made the reservation, I first inquired about the price. This is the price I was given- $26.95. Obviously, the person who took the reservation was incorrect. However, based on that conversation, I booked the reservation for 6 - outside -at that time. We were some of the first to arrive today and you were not aware that our reservation was for 6. When I said that it was, you responded "oh, it is?" Then, you asked where we would like to be seated. I responded "outside" per my reservation. You then searched through the computer and said "this person needs this table for a birthday, these people need this table for a large party, etc." It was a laundry list of other clients as we stood in front of you. Meanwhile, we were there for our reservation seating standing in front of you and made to feel completely unimportant. That is a completely unprofessional way to handle welcoming guests.
No, we didn't put a tip on the receipt, because the receipt specifically states that gratuity is included for parties of 6 or more. We were a party of 6 and charged as such. Once we left the restaurant and my husband told me of the bill total, upon my request he went back in to ask about the bill. It was at that time that our server asked if he was returning because he had forgotten the tip. My husband responded that the receipt says tip is included. At that point, the server responded that, in fact, it had not been included. So, my husband reached in his pocket and gave the server the only cash he had in his wallet, a $20 bill. Apparently, Justin neglected to provide you with that information. I wrote the restaurant about the issue today because it was truly upsetting in its entirety. As of now, noting has been credited to our card.

*****Our card was subsequently not credited, but charged $50 more than we signed for.

2  Thank InNaplesFLorida
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My friend and I have wanted to try this restaurant for some time. We took advantage of the dinner special that was by far, ($18.95 p/p, appetizer, entree, dessert and a bottle of wine for 2) one of the best in Naples. The inside dining room decor is absolutely beautiful. Lots of "French" charm. A lovely bar area and an outside patio for dining. The restaurant offers a great lunch, dinner and "Sunday Brunch" menu. Something for everyone's taste. We were pleasantly surprised with the entire experience and the "Excellent" service that we received. We look forward to trying the lunch, regular dinner menu and "Sunday Brunch." Also, I would suggest the restaurant as a great "Girls Night Out," as well as dining with your special someone.

Yolanda McGee

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Their brunch was fabulous. Also it was portioned well so you could try so many different things. I had escargot for the first time and a great shrimp cocktail. Desserts were to die for and probably 12 different kinds. The traditional was on the brunch, but also things that I never had experienced before. The Chef was great and pitched in where he was needed. I wish we did not live in Wisconsin, because if I lived anywhere close--I would not ever miss that brunch...but make a standing reservation.

1  Thank sarah h
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I had dinner twice at Le Lafayette during a recent visit to Naples. It is a fine French restaurant in the interesting Third Street South neighborhood. It has both indoor and sheltered outdoor seating. The food is quite typically French. On on occasion we both had the earlybird tasting menu, an incredible deal at $22.95 if ordered before 6:00 PM. On the second visit my companion again had the tasting menu and I had mussels, which were a very reasonably priced special, I believe on Tuesday nights. The mussels were prepared in the classic manner-steamed in garlic butter sauce. The order size was ridiculous. I could have served several other tables with them. I ate about half by pushing myself. What I sent back would have made a substantial order in itself.

The tasting menu was rather limited in selection but I liked most of the things that were on it. I had frog legs, which don't appear on menus too often. They were delicious and the sample size was ample. My companion had Beef Bourguinon (?sp) and said that it was excellent. I don't remember what she had the second time when I was climbing the mussel mountain.

The prices on the regular menu indicate that this is quite an expensive restaurant. Since I didn't order anything from it (except for soup with the mussels), I can't comment of it, though I can't imagine that it would be less than excellent. Service was friendly and attentive. I can recommend this reservation with only a reservation concerning the prices if one wants to order from the regular menu. You can always check online before you go.

1  Thank maconmac