“Get the sea bass!”
Review of Bistro 821

Bistro 821
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 821 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 1,051 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Old Naples
Cross street: 8th Street
Description: 2017 Is Bistro 821's 23rd year in business. All these years we have prided ourselves as being the Small Locally Owned Bistro on 5th Ave South. Friendly service, excellent food and a great atmosphere are our specialties. Don't Miss the Miso Saki Sea Bass or Thai Spiced Snapper if you Like Fish, or The Ribeye Steak or Pot Roast for the Meat and Potato lovers.
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Presentation was excellent. The sauces and dressings were unique and complimented the food. The sea bass was sweet and tender. Desserts are average.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,382)

Reviewed August 14, 2013

On our first two visits this year (have been several times on our holidays to Naples in the past) we had the same high quality food and service as normal, we ate off the $30 for 2 special menu with wine on our 1st visit, my husband had the tournedo of beef and I had the crusted lemon sole, our 12 year old had the flat iron steak. The waitress was attentive, friendly and she really looked after us without being overbearing. On our 2nd visit we were fortunate enough to have the same waitress and she remembered us and new exactly what my son wanted. My husband had the lamb, I asked if it was possible to have the the shrimp risotto off the wine and dine menu and of course this was no problem. The food was lovely and the risotto was one of the best I have tasted, lovely plump juicy shrimp, an extremely tasty risotto and the portion was perfect, so of course on our next visit I wanted to have it again, I explained that the last time they had kindly given me the the shrimp risotto off the wine and dine well, the waiter said what I had to order was the seafood risotto with only the shrimp as the wine and dine was finished, I said that would be fine as long it is the same as what I had previously, he said this is how it had to be done, I ordered the appetizer portion as this is what I had previously,my husband and son both ordered the flat iron steak, sadly the waiter came back to advise they had no flat iron steak left, after a discussion my husband had the beef and as my son wanted a steak we ordered the rib eye, we feel the flat iron steak is good value for a 12 year old but he didn't fancy anything else. our meals arrived and instantly I could see the risotto looked different, same large round plate but far more ingredients than the last time. As I started eating it, there was artichoke which I do not like and lots of other chunks of vegetables which were not in my risotto the last time and it tasted very different. I explained to the waiter that this was not what I had the last time and this is where things went downhill, I was basically made to feel that I was in the wrong and that I did not know what I was talking about, another waiter who joined in the conversation said the vegetables would have been in there the last time, they may just have been smaller, well I am sorry but I know what I ate! After much discussion, they offered to see what they could do, what I ended up with was a small round plate with risotto rice and shrimps on top, didn't look appetizing and did not taste anything like what we had before and in addition by that time my husband and son had finished their meals. Such a shame and to be honest the whole experience really put me off. To top it off when the bill came I was charged $18.95, the price of the appetizer seafood risotto on the menu was $15.95, yes only $3 but considering I did not have the scallops, clams, mussels etc I found that annoying. We just wanted to get out, paid the bill and left. We normally eat here on the last night of our holiday but not this time. As we have visited several times over the past few years I feel or should I say hope this was just a one off bad day. I would like to return, only time will tell when we return to Naples next year. This would have been a 5 rating and was nearly a 3 but as our other 2 visits were very good I rated it accordingly. The ratings I have given below are based on my 1st 2 visits not the 3rd.

Jesse H, Owner at Bistro 821, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

One of my biggest problems over the years has always been communication. It seems my staff, which is usually better than they were that night let me down.
I am Chef Jess; I am one of the owners here at Bistro 821. I apologize for your bad experience. It is really easy to get things right, but my staff for some unknown reason couldn't understand what you wanted. By reading your review it is certainly clear to me what you wanted. I am disappointed that this happened this way. Sounds like we deserved the review. Our job is to say yes to our guests……
What night were you here when that happened and do you remember the waiter? I would like to investigate this further. I want to make things right.
I go nuts when I hear that my staff doesn't treat people right. You should never be talked down to in any way. It’s our job to give you an experience you want to come back to. I hope you can give us another chance.
Please let me know when you are back in Naples and allow me to take care of the details.
Chef Jesse Housman
239-261-5821

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Went with the family while on vacation. We had noticed the menu while walking on 5th avenue and put it on our 'list'. Very happy we stopped in - they have a 2 for $30 special that includes a bottle of wine. Our teen daughter had the blackened crab cake, I had the paella and my wife selected the tasting menu with tenderloin tips in a marsala sauce. Her tasting included spring rolls filled with goat cheese and a salad as well. Our younger daughter had penne with marinara. Everyone enjoyed their selections and I was very happy with the bargain :).

Give them a try - we enjoyed it and think you will as well

1  Thank rha762
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Bistro 21 is just a fabulous place for casual dining here in Naples. Affordable, witty, attentive, and really good food, prepared your way. Sea bass is meltingly good, happy hours are wonderful for savings.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Recently attended a friends' birthday party here. Hard to imagine, but there were ten at each table....with not one complaint! Service was smooth unobtrusive. The food came out to the temperature of the diners liking and the waiters were quick to keep beverages flowing. This was "in season", not an easy accomplishment.