“Ok meal.”

Ranked #115 of 990 Restaurants in Naples
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Naples
Description: Mangrove Cafe is the longest existing restaurant on Naples' famed 5th Ave South. The discriminating restaurant is known for its quality fresh local seafood, especially their signature dish sweet and Sour Snapper and creative Global Comfort Cuisine. Mangrove's motto, Think Global, Eat Local, is uniquely presented on its menu and Wine Spectator Award-winning wine list. You'll appreciate the flawless service and recognize your server; they've been there for years. Check out our website for our current menu and pricing. Like us on Facebook for news, updates and upgrade dinner specials
Netherlands
“Ok meal.”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Got a good offer on a meal deal here. Pleasant surroundings sitting outside. Food was okay but others on 5th that are better

Visited September 2013

Naples, Florida
“Excellent Value”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

They have very nice menu, competitive pricing and good service. It can be a little noising unless you each in the west room or outdoors- but not as noisy as some busy places

Visited June 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Seriously bad. Still burping meatloaf at 3am.”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I don't know how this place scored so many good reviews. I read about the Mangrove Cafe on TripAdvisor before dinner, and the experience was so bad that I felt obligated to become a member just so I could warn others not to eat here.

The restaurant has a nightly special: 2 dinners + house wine for $35. Wife ordered an Italian chicken dish, I ordered the "Not Your Mother's Meatloaf". (And yes, I know meatloaf is not a trendy dish, but I had a craving for it after reading the menu description.) We were recommended to the Mangrove for its carrot cake -- another of my cravings that night. The $35 special was an unexpected surprise.

Waitress was great: friendly and sweet.

House salads were basic with (I think) a balsamic vinaigrette. Bread was warm and good.

House white wine was bad, especially compared to the glass of Moscato bought at the bar. And the bartender made his lousy $9 Lemon Drop with a mix of vodka and something he shot from the gun. Yuck. We each had 1/2 a glass of the wine and then decided to drink water.

Dinner was seriously bad. Wife's chicken was floating in a pool of something that tasted like sweet barbecue sauce. I could not recognize anything else on the plate. She took a few bites and said she couldn't eat it.

My meatloaf was interestingly gross. It was stacked: base layer of mashed potatoes, hockey puck of meat on top, with a swirl of sauteed spinach crowning the tower. The spinach was really good. Potatoes were okay. As for the meatloaf, I swallowed the first 2 bites. The third is in the bush next to our table.

Ever have that experience where your stomach spasms and says "don't eat this or you're going to see it again later tonight while hunched over the toilet"? Welcome to the Mangrove.

Our waitress was genuinely concerned when she checked on us and we still had the dinners and the nearly full bottle of wine sitting on the table. We just said it wasn't good, and I asked for the check. I stopped her mid-apology, telling her that the bad food was not her fault.

To the restaurant's credit -- and not expected or requested -- our waitress had the dinner bill cut in half. Again, she apologized. I used to wait tables in school, so I tip big anyway, and I really tipped her. She was great.

At 3am, I was still burping meatloaf.

Now that you've been warned, I've done my duty. Maybe it was a bad night for the Mangrove kitchen. But we'll never risk it again.

• Visited September 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great value”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Food is always good. Service is quick. Restaurant is noisy so not conducive to conversation, but lively fun atmosphere. A local place that's managed to survive on pricey Fifth Avenue.

Visited September 2013
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“So good we returned next evening”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

After a very disappointing meal in cafe Luna on our first night ( food arrived within 10 minutes and was tasteless, lukewarm and very watery as if the pasta hadnt been drained properly, yeuk , good singer on though ) we found this gem on a wander along 5th Ave on our second evening.
Our server, though busy was excellent, an older lady can't recall her name, brought us lovely warm ciabatta bread and house salad. I chose the 'my sweet& sour snapper' and my husband had the meatloaf , both arrived piping hot and tasted delicious, it was the best meal we'd had whilst travelling in Florida by a mile, so much so we went back the following evening and had another lovely meal. I don't know how they can afford to do the deal at $ 32 for two entrees salads and a bottle of wine, just over £20 ! An absolute bargain.
The restaurants in Naples all seemed to have a large selection of Italian i.e. pasta dishes on their menus, which is one of the reasons we chose this restaurant because it only had a couple of pasta dishes on its menu, I cook pasta at home and if I want it I go to an Italian restaurant!!
Thoroughly recommended, was surprised how for down the restaurants this was rated, it deserves a much higher position.

• Visited September 2013