“No good gluten free for kids”

Carrabba's Italian Grill
Ranked #128 of 984 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Park Shore
Naples, Florida
“No good gluten free for kids”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I have really liked this Carrabbas on past visits, but was disappointed this time. We went for lunch, two adults and a five year old who is on a gluten free diet. I had read that Carrabas had gluten free options, but I found out not really for kids. And their gluten free options for adults are limited to asking for meats prepared without the grill baste, and without any bread or croutons or pasta.
The only two things on the kids menu he could eat were the chicken breast and the kabob. He had an overdone chicken breast the day before from another restaurant, so he chose the kabob. It came with broccoli which he isn't eating these days, so I ordered him the mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes came with big chunks of red onion mixed in; not appealing at all to any of us. Together with the kabobs with large red onion slices he simply rejected his meal. He tried the meat, but wasn't having any part of the red onions.
Now, aside from his aversion to green vegetables and red onions, this child has a hearty appetite. He eats every fruit in the world, even the most exotic, loves gluten free pasta and pizza, sweet potatoes, rice, baked potatoes, carrots, turkey, chicken, fresh fish, none of which was available as an alternative for him. We asked. No fruit at all available? I was disappointed when our server told us that.
Construction type workers were present at the restaurant while we ate which may account for the terribly loud noises coming from the toilets in the restroom, and the bad smell in the restroom. Anyway, came back and my barely lukewarm pasta fagioli was served along with my friends salad, bread and dipping oil. Nothing for the hungry child. A few minutes later the waiter brought out a small plate with some great looking play dough- real dough for my grandson to play with while we ate in front of him. Under normal circumstances I would have thought this a wonderfully creative diversion. But when presented to a hungry gluten free child it was not a good choice. Grandma has seen him sneak pieces and licks of lots of batter and dough while cooking which is not a problem since I cook gluten free for him. But it is a problem for a gluten free child. So he played for a few minutes with the real dough before we asked the waiter to take it away so he wouldn't eat it. And it meant another restroom trip to wash hands thoroughly.
My friend and I both had ordered the lunch margherita pizza. When it came after my grandson rejected his meal we just ordered boxes to take the pizza home with us. I wasn't eating anything else in front of a hungry child who just had apple juice. Had the pizza later at home and it was excellent; just the way I like it. My friend's salad was very good; a good sized portion.
With gluten free options being widely available and offered at many restaurants in town it was disappointing that because of no good gluten free options for kids at Carrabas our lunch was ruined.

• Czech first
Naples, Florida
“Good Food and Service for a Great Price”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Love Carrabas. You can always count on a good meal here. Prices are very reasonable and the service is great. This location is always busy, so if you want to dine during peak hours there will be a long wait. Blackberry Sangria is THEBOMB.COM! On this last visit, I had the pork tenderloin medallions, which were excellent! Have had a lot of different dishes and have never been disppointed.

Atlanta, Georgia
“The best Carraba's I've ever been to”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

We were in town for the beach. We didn't really plan to come here. We have been to other Carraba's in our home state and the overall experience has been "meh". But this was really close to our hotel. MY OH MY WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE!

The meal was great and the service just as good! The best part is we didn't go over our budget..... nice! Will return here on our next vacation.

2 Thank Daniela K
Deep River, Canada
“One of the best Italian restaurants ever!!!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Love Carrabba's. Food is great. The service is wonderful. Restaurant is very clean. Friends took us there, we had never eaten there before. Would definitely go back and will. They serve a wonderful Sangria. One of my favourite drinks.

• Visited February 2014
Naples, Florida
“In need of a good cleaning!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Went about 3:30 pm on July 21 an early dinner since we had missed lunch. The place was almost empty (nice and quiet).
Hostess took us to a table in the S.W. corner near the front window, adjacent to the big round 10 top there. Food on the floor, and seats, she had to brush food off of the bench seat for my wife to sit. The big round top had not been cleaned off since the last patrons left and it sat that way the whole time we were there.
When the table was last cleaned it was not degreased you could see the grease smears on it.
The food is average it was all right but not really great.
I just wish restaurants would take more pride and provide a clean eating out experience. I have not been to Carrabbas for a long time and it may just be that way again.