“Lots of food”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North Naples
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The map attached to Trip Advisor and this restaurant is incorrect. DaRuMa is located off Vanderbilt Beach Rd....head west on VBR and it will be on your right, one block or so from the beach. It is set back off of the road and the above picture is not the Naples location. Our location is not as fancy as the above picture. Make sure you visit their direct website for accurate map, directions, and pictures.

We go here every year for my birthday because the food is great and it is a fun atmosphere. I always order filet and scallops. They steak is usually overcooked so make sure you ask for one step less than what you want (if you want med-well, order medium). The steak has a great flavor and is always perfect when ordered as stated above. I love their fried rice but there is an upcharge for it. Two people got fish (sea bass and grouper) this time which they said was excellent. We never get an appetizer because if you get the "combination boxes" you get soup, salad and shrimp appetizer prior to your meal which includes rice and your protein. The one negative is I always feel rushed. Once the chef is finished cooking in front of you they give you a few minutes to eat but then they are asking if you want green tea and start picking up plates, bringing the bill and the plates to reset the table. I do not eat much as my meal is being prepared so once the chef leaves I still have a full meal to eat. There is no time to sit and chat after dinner and one of our party had a 1/2 glass of wine to finish in which she had to hurry instead of drinking at her own pace. Also, you are sitting with other parties and right on top of each other but I think this is typical of most hibachi restaurants. This time we had a nice family but the table sharing our "space" had at least 6 rowdy children which were loud and chaotic. We paid for 5 people and it was approx. $170 with two glasses of wine.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have been full time residents of Naples since 2002. When we first moved here everything was "new" and "exciting." This was one of our favorite restaurants and we have been there maybe 30 times in 11 years. There has been a slow transition from excellent to just fine.

Five of us went for my birthday on November 8. No fanfare. None wanted. But like many Naples restaurants, especially by the beach, in 11 years the prices have doubled and the food and customer services has stalled.

Be watchful of the sushi prices. My 21 year old son brought a 21 year old friend, and because I wasn't paying attention, the friend ordered about $50 in sushi. Our bill for the four of us, (my wife doesn't like sushi) was about $120. This before dinner. Of course, the friend couldn't eat what he ordered and we took it to the table.

If you have read any of my other Japanese restaurant reviews, our family's pet peeve is that the waiters seem to bring everything at once. You order and the chef starts on the various dinners. After a fashion, your soup and salad arrive together. The chef is then shoveling vegetables onto your plate. If you don't eat like a madman, your vegetables are cold before you get to them. Then, if you order your meat rare, as we all do, the meat is on
your plate minutes later.

Getting older, I long for the days a decade ago when the hibachi chef did a few tricks. You know, "egg roll," "volcano," "flips an egg into his hat," etc. If seem now that DaRuMa just wants to get you in and out as quickly as possible. We've tried numerous times to ask that the courses be spaced a little bit, but this has never been done.

I know. Why do we keep going back? Sadly, because it is the best Japanese steakhouse in Naples and the sushi is excellent. By the way, our son's guest never did eat the sushi he ordered. He won't get invited again. Dinner, including sushi, for five with tip, about $370.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I can only speak to the Sushi here, but being an avid sushi eater, it was amazing! The quality, quantity of the sushi and the presentation were all what you would expect from an outstanding sushi restaurant. We went with our friends, and by the time we left, we were all stuffed! The variety and quantity were great for the price, and Justin did a great job taking care of us all evening! I prefer Fresh Salmon-Sake sashimi style (no rice), and it was 3 pieces (large) for $5.95. That price is hard to beat anywhere! Great place, great value, great food!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This was the first time I was in a Japanese steakhouse. You make a choice when entering, choosing either a dining table or a cooking table. I didn't exactly understand the difference but luckily I chose the cooking table where the chef literally cooks on the surface, with 8 guests seated around him. I found it fascinating to watch him chop and cook the vegetables, meat and seafood. This experience may be "old hat" to some, but it was new and exciting to me.

The food was cooked to order and service for drinks was good. Our table mates were friendly, pleasant and enjoyable with which to share conversation. It was a very good evening.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Better make a reservation. It seems to always fill up. Their sushi is above average, the family style tables are great for family's or eclectic company. Have never been disappointed here. The staff is warm and friendly and the setting is relaxing. Everything own seems to have a few "staples". His is one of them.