“"BEST IN TOWN from Marco Island - Cleveland Ohio"”
Review of Alpine Restaurant

Alpine Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Alpine Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #103 of 992 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: German, Hungarian, Czech, Eastern European
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Airport Road
Description: We serve the finest, the most authentic and delicious German, Slovak, Czech, and Hungarian food on this side of Florida. All meals are homemade from scratch. Come in to taste and see how we serve our cappuccino, latte, espresso and other European coffees. For lunch we have sandwiches and salads, homemade soups, schnitzels and lot more. Finish your meal with home baked apple strudel, rum ball or our chocolate cake.
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We are true German's and moved here from Ohio over 10 years ago. Back in Ohio we had many favorite German restaurants but after we moved here it was one of the things that was hard to come by. In the 10 years there have been a few which have now closed.
I did a search and came across Alpine and after reading the reviews had to try. So glad I did! !
I find any of the bad reviews to be false and would highly recommend you giving it a try. Being in the service industry ourselves we try to surpass customers expectations. They did that by far.
Atmosphere was very intimate and peaceful and we started out with a nice glass of wine. Service was outstanding and even though there were other tables of people we felt as thought we were the only ones being tended to. We had an appetizer of potato pancakes and they were out of this world. Then we decided to have soup instead of salad and chose the split pea soup. Again....wow, this was amazing. Made from scratch and had little pieces of kielbasa which gave it such a unique flavor. On to the entree of Jaeger Schnitzel and it was enough for two or three people with spaetzels on the side. The schnitzel was cooked to perfection and had such a great flavor and wasn't greasy.
We really wished we had room for the crepes but next time we will.
Not only German food but the menu had so many choices it was hard to pick. We stuck with our old time favorites and will definitely be back again and again and again. For the quality of food and the outstanding service we almost felt as thought they mis-charged us because for the money you can't go wrong. Prices were very reasonable, that is hard to come by in Naples.
Congrats to your business and we wish you nothing but good things to come.
It was great to meet you all and we will see you again soon.
Jim & Amy Ridinger

3  Thank AmyLeeRide
Alex S, Owner at Alpine Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you very much Jim & Amy for your review. It is great to have customers like you which can judge the food because of you experience with German cuisine. Unfortunately some people know only some "fusion" German cooking = Americanized which has nothing to do with real cuisine.
For example, I had a great conversation with Italian chef working in three Michelin stars places in Europe.
He applied for a job in one local ="fancy" Italian restaurant in Naples.
When he prepared chicken parmigiana for his boss, the boss became upset, because he wanted to have it done American way. Well he did it his way, but asked him: "Why do you call it chicken parmigiana? It has nothing to do with the real Italian dish".

Therefore, I am not surprised when customers want gravy on Wiener schnitzel.
Someone, somewhere poured salty gravy over their schnitzel, and from that time, they think it should be done that way. We love customers which experienced the real taste of meal in country of origin. Those are real judges of our cooking.

Yes, we refuse to do "FUSION" :-)

Thank you again, and we are waiting for your next visit.
Alex and Eva.

There are newer reviews for Alpine Restaurant

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We really enjoyed our meal at the Alpine restaurant. It was delicious and excellent value for money. Portions were huge. I had the Tomato Basil Soup and the Jager Schnitzel and my wife had the Potato Pancake with Chicken.

Another reviewer complained about the décor but we felt the restaurant was very nice. The owner was very friendly.

2  Thank Jody C
Alex S, Owner at Alpine Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you Jody for you review. I have great memories from Canada.
I hope your vacation here in Naples was also great.
It was our pleasure to have you in our restaurant. Go Canada Go!
Alex

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Our party of three enjoyed our dinner but expected more based on earlier Tripadvisor reviews. Salads were fresh but the dressing tasted commercial. The goulash soup was good and spicy. Our entrees (wiener schnitzel, goulash, and Knedlo – Vepro – Zelo) were good but not extraordinary. The Pilsner Urquell on draft was good and service was attentive and prompt. The prices seemed more appropriate for formal dining but the atmosphere was informal - paper napkins and no tablecloths.

1  Thank Ed G
Alex S, Owner at Alpine Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear Mr. Ed,
Please understand we value your opinion and we do not want to insult you in any way, but we take Tripadvisor reviews very seriously, and we feel that we have to sometimes "defend" our staff, which works very hard to make every customer happy. In same time, we want future reviewers to know why we do things certain way.

It looks like from your review, that our customers who are raving about our food on Tripadvisor do not know what excellent food should taste like. Please let me inform you that we have many "tough" customers from Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, etc. They like us for very simple reason. Our food tastes the same or better than what their mothers cooked. We hear this very often, and this is the reason why we are in the restaurant business.

Yes, the service was prompt and attentive, as you wrote, but you gave us "only" good rating. Your tip was over 20%. I am confused.

Atmosphere is always personal opinion. No, we do not have antlers and cuckoo clocks on the walls. We hear from our customers that our restaurant is very clean, and tastefully decorated. However, we are open to any suggestions. What about belly dancer, psychic reading or magician. This is what you can “enjoy” in some restaurants in Naples.

Just imagine for a moment.
You gave us second chance. You finally love our schnitzel, and suddenly psychic comes to your table to tell you that you will have car accident on the way home, because the cards say so. What review we will get then? :-)

Our prices are lower than any other German restaurants in town. Your bill for three people with three entrees beer and wine was $88.46 including tax. For this price, you will get only appetizers in most places in Naples.

Yes, we do use paper napkins, because you can be sure that you are the first and last person to use it. You cannot say that about cloth napkins. They wash them, but I do not want to clean my mouth with something what hundreds of people used before me. Trust me. I have reason for that.
This is what 99% of our customers tell us. They do not care about reused napkins, white tablecloth covered with white butcher paper as you can see in most "upscale" restaurants. (I still do not get it why they cover tablecloth with paper. Is it because most customers are messy, and they want to save money?) Our regular customers are coming back for great food not tablecloth or fancy = expensive fusion food. We are not, and we will never pretend to be “fancy”.

We apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Maybe next time. Have a great vacation in Italy, and please bring mi small cornicello - ITALIAN HORN AMULET. I need it for luck :-)

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Being of European descent, we always search out restaurants that serve European food like cabbage rolls, schnitzel, goulash and such. We were renting for a week from April 7-14 in Naples and made restervations for an evening supper here at 6:15. We were the only couple there,...and no one else came in for the entire meal. The location is too far perhaps from the center of town and in a new strip mall with many vacant stores, which may speak for this. However, I did get the schnitzel and I was disappointed as it was not tenderized, just breaded with no WOW factor. We had the spatlae and dumplings as well, and they were fine, but not incredible. Now then,..the saurkraut soup I had was amazing,..I would get 3 bowls next time and no schnitzel. I do hope they succeed, or move and also start to tenderize their pork and fry it in butter for a more superior flavour.

Thank you for your review. We are little surprised that you gave us excellent mark for service but on other hand you complain about it. I am sorry, that we are too far from the location where you rented. Next time you come to Naples, please, let us know where you stay, and we will move our restaurant closer to you. This mall has empty spaces, but in my humble opinion it is very nice. Except very fancy and expensive places you do not find many restaurants with water fountain in front of them.
Yes, we tenderize schnitzels. It is impossible not to, because we start with meat which is about 4" in diameter. When we serve it to you it is more then double in size. No, it can't be "stretched". It must be tenderized. Thank you again for your visit, and we have three large bowls of sauerkraut soup waiting for you. Just do not ask for schnitzel :-)

Reviewed April 17, 2013

The staff was so incredibly kind & the food was delicious! The Hungarian goulash was amazing & the chocolate cake was to die for! We felt like we were back in Hungary!

1  Thank Jenny B