“Good Resort Course”

Flamingo Island Course - Lely Resort
Ranked #83 of 175 Outdoor Activities in Naples
More attraction details
Owner description: Robert Trent Jones Sr. considers this course to be the finest he has ever designed: having twice been rated by Golfweek as Americas best, and given the prestigious 4-star award from Golf Digest, his critics seem to agree.
Reviewed March 20, 2014

The flamingo course at the lely resort was fun to play. It was also challenging and in good condition, especially the greens. It is a well layed out course which favors well placed iron shots. Overall, a good course, and good value in comparison to other naples courses in peak season.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

The Flamingo Course is a challenging course with a strategic design. You have to think your way around this course with its bunkers and ponds that both reward and punish risk takers. Club selection is a challenge. The fairways and rough are above average and the greens superb - fast and smooth. There are stones in many bunkers (bad batch of sand), so be careful. Pro shop and course staff are efficient and friendly. The practice range and green are excellent.
A post-round cool one is a must in the Sam Snead pub/ restaurant. The menu and beer selection are excellent, the atmosphere lively, and the service great. There are many memorabilia from "The Slammer" in the beautiful clubhouse.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

The course is beautiful and very well maintained, staff if friendly and courteous, BUT…..I'd recommend not playing your ball out of any of the sand bunkers. They have LOTS of particulate matter from small pebbles to rocks or pieces of coral 1/4 ". In the practice bunker I actually hit something I couldn't dig up. I nicked my 8 iron from a fairway bunker, and started just laying out of all of them….not worth ruining a club.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Flamingo Island at Lely Resort is the nicest course I've ever played, hands down. My wife and I traveled to Naples for our honeymoon and we picked a couple courses that would normally be out of our budget back home. Flamingo Island was at the top of our list and we played the twilight rate to save a few bucks. FYI the range balls are complimentary so get there early to hit the range.

We were easily able to squeeze in a round as the sun was setting, and it was wide open out there in the afternoon despite being the heart of the season. The fairways were in great shape and the greens were large and fast. There are sand traps all over the place and I used my sand wedge more than I ever have. The placement of the traps is a challenge and I'm now realizing I need to work on that part of my game.

Hole #5 was the most memorable hole for us. It's a par 3 surrounded by sand and water with very little room for error, and if you haven't seen what it looks like, do an online image search and check it out! And if you play it, keep an eye out for the big gator lurking nearby. He was chilling by the tee box and leapt into the water as we approached.

Lely Resort was a dream come true for my wife and I. Amazing course, friendly staff, and a nice clubhouse too - we savored the food and drinks and enjoyed the whole experience of our day. It was unforgettable. We hope to be back someday and may consider playing the Mustang course next time around.

1  Thank sethrich
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Another beautiful course in Naples. The course was very wet even though there hadn't been much rain. There was absolutely no run on the drives because of the wetness. The greens were very fast. There was a nice big gator lurking in the water near 4. It seemed like all the par 4s were laid out the same way. Get off a nice drive, avoid the huge fairway bunker and hit a nice 7 iron over another bunker to get on the green.

I found it strange that 9 and 18 shared a green.

It was a nice course. If I come back to Naples/Marco I wouldn't have to play it again. It didn't wow me like TPC right across Rt 41.