“A small but meaningful experience”

The Holocaust Museum & Education Center of Southwest Florida
Ranked #11 of 124 things to do in Naples
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Holocaust History Museum mainly focused on the years 1933 - 1945; geared for ages 12 - adult; docent-guided tours & audio tours available. Please check the website or call for open hours, as there may be changes for season or for holidays.
�G|ϗϨ�
182 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“A small but meaningful experience”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The only museum created by school children as a project. Remarkable in its simplicity made incredible by the tour directors. Full of knowledge the tour is stunning and horrific. It is a must see

Everyone should understand this holocaust be they Jewish,Rwandan ,Armenian,Irish and etc.
Many other nationalities have experienced this .

1 Thank steverA8718SU

Cincinnati
152 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 183 helpful votes
“Small But Outstanding Museum”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Holocaust Museum in Naples is located in only a few rooms but offers a ton of information and many artifacts, over 1,000 World War II and Holocaust artifacts and original photographs. You can take both self-guided and Docent-led tours. The Museum has afternoon hours and offers a docent tour at 1:30PM. I strongly recommend taking the docent tour if possible. The tour lasts about an hour but the docent is very knowledgeable and covers the holocaust period with lots of facts.

1 Thank adventurer1234
Virginia Beach, Virginia
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Very Educational”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This not a place you come to enjoy, but to become more educated about the Holocaust. My wife and I have been to many Holocaust Museums and continue become more educated with each one we go too. This museum has an amazing story to tell and a wonderful display of pictures and artifacts during the period of time. Our tour guide was just incredible in relaying to us the different happenings at each of the concentration camps. A must see is a room of pictures taken by an army photographer that handed over to the museum undeveloped pictures of one of the liberated camps.

Naples
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A surprise.....”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The man who gave the lecture was amazing. We thought we knew a lot about the holocaust -- but we learned so much more.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Francia S
Knoxville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Informative and fascinating!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

When we pulled up to the museum, I wasn't expecting much. It's located in some sort of office building, so it doesn't really look like a museum from the outside. Admission was $10 for an adult, and $5 with a student ID. My aunt and I opted for a docent led-tour (though I remember wondering why anyone would need a docent for such a small museum). I'm glad we did however, since our docent, Ron, was excellent.

Ron started out with the history of anti-Semitism going back to the early Christian church, through the Middle Ages and the Reformation. He explained the series of events that led to the rise of Nazism, followed by the execution of the Final Solution and the end of the war. As we moved through the exhibits, I was impressed with Ron's knowledge of the facts (I've studied this topic quite a bit, so I knew what he was talking about). He spoke for about two straight hours. Normally, I can't stand for that long, much less pay attention, but somehow managed to keep me tuned in, which is very impressive!

The exhibits themselves are pretty interesting, too. They have lots of pictures and artifacts from the period. I was pleased to see that they had a display about IBM's complicity in the Holocaust - that's something that most people don't know about. The museum is small, but you could easily spend a few hours reading and looking.

This museum deserves a better venue and some updated displays..that's the only reason I'm not giving it an 'Excellent' rating. Because it's in an office building, the lighting isn't quite right for reading things on a wall. The posters and displays are showing their age, and really need to be updated. I think that with a little bit of work, it could really be great!

Visited January 2013
4 Thank vthokiehi55
ASnyderNaples, Executive Director at The Holocaust Museum & Education Center of Southwest Florida, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive words. Staff and volunteers work very hard to make this a worthwhile addition to any visit to Naples. We anticipate updating much of the Museum over the next few years, as well as looking for a new home. We hope to have you visit again!

Travelers who viewed The Holocaust Museum & Education Center of Southwest Florida also viewed

Naples, Southwest Gulf Coast

Been to The Holocaust Museum & Education Center of Southwest Florida? Share your experiences!