“Nice hotel; but terrible management”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Naples
Ranked #19 of 59 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel is very nice (newly renovated) with clean room; and it's conveniently location.
HOWEVER, the service (more specifically, management is terrible).
I stayed 3 nights before new years eve. My room was already paid but at check-out they were charging my card. I explained the situation in the front desk and they promise to take care of the inconvenience. The GM ensured that my card wont be charged; but couple of days later I found charges in the credit card of more than 1000$.
I've been calling and writing email to follow-up on the situation; none of the managers have contacted me to provide any explanation.

Room Tip: avoid staying here
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jbrito954
OPHHotel A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Naples, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent experience with our brand new hotel.

Thank you for your understanding and co -operation while we worked through some systems and operational challenges during our Hotel opening, which have since been resolved as discussed. Please accept our apologies once again. We are so glad you liked our hotel and hope you had a wonderful stay here in Naples. All of our staff takes pride in providing excellent guest service and we are always willing to go the extra mile to exceed guest expectations. We do look forward to hosting your stay next time you plan to visit Naples.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

The newly refurbished hotel was very clean and attractively decorated. The staff very friendly, helpful and most accommodating to our needs. The beds were exceptionally comfortable with pillows of different densities to accommodate all levels of comfort. There was one disappointment...it is NOT located "in the heart of downtown" at the 5th Ave shops and restaurants as described on their webpage! It was CLOSE to the shops and restaurants of downtown; a drive of approximately 10 - 12 minutes. You would NOT want to walk this route as it is NOT pedestrian friendly! Other than that, we were very satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
OPHHotel A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Naples, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and appreciate your feedback regarding the our description. We're especially pleased to hear that you found the stay comfortable and the staff friendly. Hopefully we'll see you again on your next trip to Naples.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My review of the hotel has already been submitted to the IHG website answering their email request and can I'm sure be viewed there. I did forget in that review to record that when I asked for the use of the safe at reception it was unavailable as they had lost the master key!

Fortunately we were able to locate an accessible room in the No 1 hotel in Naples on trip advisor and it has been fantastic.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dasmoray
OPHHotel A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Naples, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Thank you for submitting your review through the IHG website. I can assure you that we will be reading it, as your feedback is very important to us. We are always striving to do better, and you taking the time to share your experience with us is a big part of that. We're sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay, and can only hope that at some point we will get the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Got there at 3:45PM ( check-in was at 3:00). There seemed to be confusion as to who I was or what my reservation was, even though I had made it 2 months in advance and had a confirmation number ! I was asked to wait 20 minutes because my room was not ready. Finally got my keys to the room and guess what, when I opened the door there were people inside( quite embarrassing ).
Went down to the front desk to complaint and the manager said to me :" If you are not happy with your stay, I will be very happy to find you another hotel..). Now this is the day before New Year's Eve in Naples , Florida and I knew that all respectable hotels in the area were booked. I declined the offer. The same day while going to dinner we got stuck in the elevator between two floors. Had to wait to be rescued..., but what was interesting was that two other couples got also stuck one hour previously. You would think they would have had a sign on that elevator warning customers....Next day we had to have our room keys ( both of them) reset twice. Their explanation...there were computer glitches in the system. I could go on and on,but the most disturbing thing was that I never got the feeling that anyone on that hotel cared about my problems. I would rate the hotel a one if it was not for the fact that the room was clean.
Believe me stay away from this one. Naples has plenty of nice hotels, but this is not one of them.

Room Tip: Stay away period !
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JorgeManuel2014
OPHHotel A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Naples, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

We're deeply sorry to hear about your experience with us, and want to assure you that management is taking your review very seriously. Every one of your complaints will be looked at and addressed (the elevator has since been fixed and we have had no further issues). Once again, we're sorry about the issues you encountered and can only hope that we will be given the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We booked two rooms on a busy weekend after Christmas. The hotel was oversold, JR the manager came out immediately and took us next door to another hotel that was actually much nicer than the HIE. Our rooms were taken care of by JR. He was an extremely polite and very helpful. What could have been a terrible experience, turned into a pleasant surprise. I am unable to rate the HIE, but would like to give a thumbs up and a 5 rating to JR and his staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words about JR. We understand that this was a tough situation, and are thrilled to hear how he made the most out of a potentially bad experience.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

First, let me say that IF you are able to locate this hotel (unviewable signage, off the road) don't arrive after 10pm even if you have a confirmed reservation. DH and I arrived and waited a good 5 -8 minutes for s desk clerk to show up. When one did, we were told our room wasn't available and they had booked us at a Hampton Inn 10 miles away. We were confirmed for 2 nights and our second night was still going to be at HIE. The desk clerk even said, "it's not right, it's not fair, but it's what it is'. So, at 11:45 pm, DH and I checked into the Hampton Inn on a ground floor room next to an outside door, in a remote area far less desirable than the 5th Ave South location we were confirmed at.
I am very disappointed with the HIE and if my prepaid CONFIRMED reservation weren't nonrefundable, I would never visit another one.

Room Tip: If you can't arrive early, don't arrive!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wendy D

We're very sorry to hear about your experience. We strive to avoid situations like yours and can assure you that this is always a last resort. In our constant effort to improve we will be reviewing your comments to see how we can keep this from happening in the future.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We received a big smile and the manager even said he was upgrading our room - not sure that was possible since we were told all the rooms were the same unless they were poolside. The bed was great, not much noise anywhere. The rooms were pretty much booked for the holiday. Breakfast was chaos - they couldn't keep up with the demand but again, they tried to be helpful. As were going down to the first floor with our bags, the elevator started shaking - it couldn't seem to stop even though we were on the first floor. Finally it did but the door would not open and there began a 20-30 minute wait with 10 people in a small elevator. We asked them to prop the door a crack and were told that "that's against the law". A young girl was crying, we were all sweating, it was awful. If WE had not called 911, we could still be there (not). HIE had called the elevator repairman but not the Fire Dept. They came to our rescue. Then we heard the elevator repairman say they had the problem the previous day….. Yikes. Never heard a word from the manager when we got out though someone offered us water. This is a new facility. It was not in the Fire Dept database which extended our wait for help.

Room Tip: Getting one on the first floor might be a good idea.
Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

We're so sorry to hear about your troubles with our elevator. We did have some difficulty with it, resulting in problems such as yours. Since then the elevator has been fixed and there have been no further issues. We're glad to hear that problems with the elevator aside you enjoyed your stay.

Sorry once again.