“Excellent German food, lighter than you'd think!”
Review of Jaegerhaus - CLOSED

Jaegerhaus
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th Street
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This small and family owned place serves authentic German specialties in a friendly, welcoming and cozy setting. The entrees are delightful -- much lighter and delicate than one might expect from a German classic restaurant. This is as close as one can hope to be to German home-style cooking without a long flight on Lufthansa!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had dinner at Jaegerhaus during a recent day trip to Naples, and we are so glad we did! My husband and I are both of German heritage, so we were craving authentic German cuisine. I must admit, I wasn't sure what to expect at first - the restaurant is tucked away behind a diner, and when we arrived the place was almost entirely empty (it was, however, 5:30 on a Thursday night during off season. . . . I was happy to see it fill up more as our dinner progressed) The inside of the restaurant is simple but very charming, complete with cuckoo clocks and lit candles. Our server (the wife/owner) was extremely attentive and made sure we enjoyed every bite. The potato pancakes were excellent, as was the pretzel bread. When she mentioned bringing us a serving of German potato salad I immediately yelled "made with white vinegar??" I had not had German potato salad (or even though of it, for that matter) for at least 20 years, since the last time I had my Grandma's (she passed in the '90s) It tasted EXACTLY the way hers tasted! My husband was beside himself when he saw knoedel on the menu because that is one of his favorite things, and he only gets it when he visits his Grandmother. He said it was perfect! We split the pork Wienerschnitzel and had black forest cake for dessert, both of which were wonderful and did not disappoint. All in all, we really enjoyed this dinner. The service and attentiveness was second to none, and the food exceeded all expectations. We have never been to Germany but have both grown up eating German food in our respective grandparents' homes in the mid-Atlantic. Aside from giving us a trip down memory lane for us, the food at Jaegerhaus was delicious, and the dining experience very enjoyable! Highly recommend.

1  Thank jlbho
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I'll preface this review by stating that I'm not German, but my wife is half German. She was craving German food so we went here for dinner tonight. When we first entered, the owner greeted us warmly. The place was empty, but that's not surprising since this is off-season. Still it would've been nice to see other customers dining.

We started with a potato pancakes with apple sauce appetizer ($8). The plate had three fairly large pancakes. The potato pancakes were crispy on the outside (albeit a tad overdone) and tender inside. My wife liked it, too.

All entrees come with a choice of soup or salad, and two sides are included. We both chose the salad. It was a pretty simple salad of mostly lettuce, a little bit of julienned carrots, a slice of tomato, and a couple of slices of cucumber. The vinaigrette dressing was decent - tart and mildly sweet. The owner brought us a small dish of german potato salad compliments of the house. The potato salad was really good, light on the vinegar. I couldn't tell if there was any mayo in the salad at all. If so, it was very light on the mayo. The potatos were sliced very thinly and just melted in your mouth.

I chose the pork Jaegerschnitzel (sp?) ($23) for my entree. My wife had the Sauerbraten. The Jaegerschnitzel was crispy on the outside. although I felt it was a bit overdone again. The meat was a little tougher than it should've been. I think this was mainly because it was thicker than it should've been. Maybe it should've been pounded thinner? The brown sauce was nice and thick but I would've liked to have seen some actual sliced mushrooms in it. I love mushrooms! The potato dumplings I chose as a side dish was pretty good. My wife liked it too, but she said it had peppers and she doesn't use (black) peppers in her recipe. The red cabbage we chose as the second side dish wasn't as tart as I would've liked.

We didn't have any room left for dessert. The portions were pretty big. I didn't feel that any part of the meal had small portions at all, as intimated by a previous reviewer.

Overall, I would say the food was decent. The service was superb. The wife/owner, who also served us, was very nice, friendly and very attentive.

1  Thank Edgar Z
Reviewed February 10, 2012

First I thought, OK, bad luck... But than I tried the Jaegerschnitzel.

Sorry but even the worst fast food restaurants next to the Autobahn (highway) in Germany having better tasting food.
The Schnitzel had no taste at all. The only taste I had, was of the oil they fried the meat in.
The original Jaeger sauce, as I know it, should have some mushrooms in it with a good rich flavor but there it is a brown sauce... and again... without any taste.

Guess there is nothing what can go wrong with the taste of in saltwater boiled Spaetzle (noodles) But the portion on each plate was a size of a tee cup...
My 11 year old son asked me, after we left, if he could get a Burger bc. he still felt hungry...
Never had a Schnitzel in my life, without any taste for a price of 28 Dollars.....

6  Thank Frank S
Reviewed January 11, 2012

JAEGERHAUS is owned and operated by a German couple. Hence, we had high hopes for great German fare.

Open only for dinner, JAEGERHAUS is tucked in the back of a plaza on North US41 behind MEL'S DINER. The interior is quite bland, but the tables are spaced far enough apart that noise is not a problem. Service is attentive, pleasant, and efficient.

The menu includes various appetizers, soups, salads, main courses, and desserts. Beer, wine, and other drinks are also available. The main entrees are generally in the $18-27 range. There is also a prix fixe menu which includes your choice of soup or salad, a main entree (pork or chicken) with 2 side dishes, and coffee for $22.50 -- a pretty good deal by Naples standards. Substituting veal adds $5 to your tab.

The food, alas, is inconsistent and more often than not forgettable. For example, cream of broccoli soup is very tasty but not as hearty as usual. A salad with German vinaigrette dressing is quite good, as is the creamed spinach side dish. However, the red cabbage, German potato salad, and spaetzle side dishes are only fair. Jaegerschnitzel (with pork in this case) includes a generous cutlet, but the breading is much overdone to a dark brown and the burgundy mushroom sauce is only so-so. The underlying pork cutlet is too dry and tough as a result.

While the dining room is clean, the bathroom floors are quite sticky and need a good cleaning. Hopefully, this does not reflect conditions in the kitchen.

VERDICT: The excellent service and good value are overshadowed by so-so food and other factors. Hence, the overall "average" rating.

8  Thank George52_11