“Something Different”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Something Different”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We're always looking for something different, so decided to try Inca's Kitchen. Being located in a strip mall, we were not sure what to expect, but when we walked in were pleasantly surprised at the classy decor. Our server was very good and eager to and answer questions. Nice sized menu and the food was good and not too spicy. My wife is not easlily impressed, but loved this place.

Calgary Alberta
“Peruvian cuisine….the next big thing according to the net”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have been reading about peruvian cuisine in magazines and online for the past six months or so. I have visited two Peruvian restaurants in the past three days. The first in Scottsdale and the Inca's Kitchen in Naples, FL this evening. Both were very good. The Inca's Kitchen was a nice darkish room that had a good ambience. It was very busy. Our server was very hospitable and obviously used to schooling customers in Peruvian cuisine. He steered us to a nice mix of dishes that were more representative of the cuisine than the dish we saw on many of the tables. I asked what it was and he said basically 'Fish and chips'. He suggested we might enjoy something a little more adventurous and we followed his advice as battered and fried fish is always good but easily available.

One disappointment is we could not have a Pisco sour as the IK only serves beer and wine.

Saw the chef out talking to customers as some of the other reviewers have also noted……nice touch.

Liked it a lot.

Ann Arbor, MI
“Upscale in every way -- except price!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Inca's Kitchen is not your typical Latin American restaurant. You know the type: small, spare, family-run, cheap, and frequented by the guys who cook at the Mexican and Latin American places frequented by gringos and tourists. That was what I was expecting, especially as I drove through some of the mobil home parks that cater to the Latino population down here. When I arrived at Inca's on Collier (the Golden Gate side), I was surprised to see a full parking lot -- and full of Acuras, BMWs, and SUVs -- and a number of people waiting outside to get in. Inside, I was welcomed to a scene wholly unlike the neighborhood joint I envisioned. Greeters in dresses and suits, chefs with their names on their aprons, sleek and modern decor, and a clientele that included 3rd Street types and Latino families suggested the possibility of well-prepared and authentic dishes.

My meal began with fried corn kernels served with three tasty sauces. For my entree, I ordered the Peruvian saffron rice with seafood. If you are imagining paella, you are imagining correctly. It was very good but I have had better -- but not for $17.95 and not as ample a portion. I also ordered picarones (fried dough; imagine a beignet with syrup instead of powdered sugar) for dessert and they, too, were very good and not as sickly sweet at they are often served.

I do have a nit to pick and it's a nit many single diners pick. While I had no problem being shunted to the bar --I have come to expect that in popular restaurants -- I was not given the same due as dining couples and families. Where waitstaff patiently explained the menu to those diners -- and later learned that I could have ordered half portions if I wanted to explore more of
the menu -- I was simply asked what I wanted to order. Very foolishly, I accepted the bartender's suggestion of a wine when I was told that the wine I ordered was out of stock. My preferred $8.25 glass of a very nice Spanish red became a $13.95 glass of Spanish red -- a fine glass of wine but not the price point I was comfortable with. But, given the reasonable price of the entree and the equally reasonable price ($6.25) of the dessert, my meal still came in under $40. That's a steal for a very good meal at a very attractive restaurant.

2 Thank bigcitydiner
Naples, Florida
“it doesn't look like it but it is fantastic”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I love to be surprised. We started going there before they remodeled! It was super than and better now. I think they learned portion control from Nana's up the street. The food is great and the sizes were greater

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Mike N
Gainesville, Florida
“Great food, unique and upscale atmosphere.”
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Went here with a group. Was struck by the nice and upscale decor. The eating experience is unique in as good way. The food is great but not amazing. Good service, they seem to care. Would be a good place for a date.

1 Thank Chad2014