“Artfully dodged vegetables”

Moodus, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Artfully dodged vegetables”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have never seen so artfully prepared vegetable dishes. I am a life long omnivore who often dodged vegetables in the past because they were flavorless, overcooked replicas of what would come out of my garden. But I was truly amazed at the artistry of making vegetables taste as good as a meat dish. I'm not only complimenting th flavor profiles which were nuanced and unique, but the sculpting and colors made you forget that there was no meat or fish in the preparations. I had the Spicy Cha Cha which were "shrimp" shaped crescents of white yam, breaded and fried, and mixed with stir fried onions, celery, peppers, and a flavor filled sauce. The texture was firm like shrimp when I bit into one. But the true marvel was the thin orange colored layer surrounding the white "flesh", just under the breading. It was as if the preparer was trying to make "imitation" shrimp as close to the original as possible. I hate to call this "imitation" shrimp. There were no shortcuts or lazy preparation here. It was better than some shrimp that I've had. My wife is a vegan, so having alternatives to most restaurants while on vacation is quite a luxury. But honestly, all of the vegetarian/vegan restaurants we visited in CT, NY, MA, RI, and vacation destinations on the east and west coasts haven't come as close to converting this omnivore to eliminating meat from his diet. Loving Hut makes me pause and start to believe that a good meal of vegetables can be as good alone without the meat or fish.

Naples, Florida
“Delicious Vegan Meal”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Clean, bright and fresh atmosphere with carefully prepared food. Delicious blend of spices in my Guru Curry without overpowering. Mom and Dad had stir fried rice and the special asparagus dish. Both were flavorful as well. Prices range about 9 to 10 dollars per entree and portions certainly fill you up. We'll likely try it again!

• Visited April 2013
“must visit for fresh vegan”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Green papaya salad!!! i had lunch at a thai restaurant in naples& it was blah, so i wanted to try it here for dinner. It was awesome, I couldnt even finish eating it. The appetizer, and my friends entree were equally very delish. We finished sharing the chocolate cake, very light& so good, going back today for that salad.

Delaware
“Odd story behind this one...”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

When I realized Loving Hut was a chain, I looked it up online and there are some strange aspects to the company. It was founded by one Supreme Master Ching Hai, a Vietnamese lady who is a spiritual leader with a large following in Taiwan and meditation centers throughout the world, including the U.S. It's a very odd story, and it would have really put me off if I'd gotten any cultish vibe at the restaurant (at the Phoenix location, apparently, there is a video loop of this Supreme Master, and I would have left immediately).

However, at the Naples location there is no hint of Loving Hut's odd origins. It is an attractive, quietly sophisticated restaurant. My husband and daughter are ovo-lacto vegetarians, and my son and I are open-minded omnivores, so we decided to give it a try after reading good Yelp reviews. The food was absolutely wonderful. (I only took off one star because I'm not sure what my patronage is supporting).

The mango and strawberry smoothies were both delicious. You can taste the soy milk in them, which I enjoy. The service had been a little slow, so we didn't try any appetizers, but our entrees were also very enjoyable. My daughter had the Pho and my husband had the Bun Hue. Both were noodle-based soups with meat substitutes and various forms of vegetables, but their broths were completely different - the Pho had a fascinating 5-spice flavor, while the Bun Hue tasted of lemongrass; both tasted great. I had the pumpkin curry, also delicious.

Best of all, my somewhat pickier son just wanted a huge plate of noodles with a little sauce, and they accommodated him with no problem.

One last word about the desserts - we had the mocha chocolate cake and the pandan cake, and both were worthy of a French patisserie, just delectable! And all without dairy or eggs. We'll definitely be back, maybe even tomorrow night...

• Visited March 2013
“Tasty and healthy”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great food, it was delicious. You have to try the fresh rolls as a starter. We appreciated the food, because it was a welcome change to the american food.