“Middle Eastern Potpourri”

Daniela's restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Daniela's restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #331 of 987 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Hungarian, Italian, Romanian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wiggins Pass Rd.
Description: We serve authentic Northern Italian, Romanian and Hungarian cuisine. We make our own pastas, bread, sauces, marmalade and more from scratch!! Healthy home cooking!“One of Naples’ overlooked gems. Daniela’s makes Great European comfort food at equally excellent prices.– Naples Daily News
Arlington, Virginia
“Middle Eastern Potpourri”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Finding myself uninterested on a Spring Saturday evening in enduring any of Naples' "destination" restaurants, I decided to try Daniela's. It's located on Naples' northern end in a strip shopping center where US Route 41 (Tamiami Trail) intersects Wiggins Pass Road.

Operated (according to the menu) by a family, Daniela's describes itself as offering Italian, Hungarian, and Romanian cuisine. Based on my first visit there, even dishes the menu categorizes as "Italian" reveal a strong Eastern European influence.

My evening at Daniela's started out somewhat contentiously. Sitting solo at the bar and ordering a glass of Merlot to start, I noticed the bartender reaching inside a refrigerator for a bottle. Pleasantly but firmly I spoke up, "Not chilled." Clearly displeased, the bartender neverfheless silently opened a fresh bottle. That extra effort benefited me with a delicious glass.

Not extraordinarily hungry, I bypassed the menu's numerous tempting appetizers, soups, and salads. Instead I ordered an entree of ravioli stuffed with pumpkin, spinach, and mascarpone cheese. Obviously prepared from scratch, the dish proved succulent without being too large to overwhelm a solo diner. It was wonderfully sauced with a concoction resembling pesto but richer and milder. At $15.00, I'll remember the dish as above average comfort food.

Accompanying my meal was a basket containing three small slices of not particularly flavorful bread. However, the slices proved adequate for dipping in that wonderful sauce accompanying my ravioli and, my only moderate hunger having been sated, I did not require any additional starch.

My server explained that Daniela's normally offers live music Saturday nights, but this particular evening (preceding Easter Sunday) the regularly scheduled musician had a prior commitment.

Daniela's impressed me as a low-key, neighborhood kind of restaurant that works if one overlooks a bit of amateurism. I look forward again to enjoying some of its comfortable home cooking.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank TAARStraveler

Naples, FL
“poor from the moment we walked in the door”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Let me start by saying we have eaten here before and had a decent experience, but tonight was unacceptable. Walked in and asked for a table and immediately waitress had an attitude with if we had a reservation or not. We did not, and were happy to take a table outside. We waited for 10 minutes. Had to ask for water and menus. We waited again for 10 more minutes-- we let hostess know we were ready to order when they were ready. We watched another table get seated outside after us, then same waitress rushed out with a bottle of wine and notepad in hand to take order immediately for these "friends" of the restaurant while we still sat and watched. This was the last straw after waiting 20 minutes. We left. They do not have enough wait staff for the "season" of Naples. We will not be back again.

1 Thank easy2bkeysey
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Sister Act”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We met Daniela's sister as she was enhancing patio set-up. She encouraged us to return for dinner, knowing we had tight schedule to meet. Daniela greeted and seated us. She turned out to be as charming as her sister. The lasagna was light and absolutely delicious. Sausage and mashed potatoes were designed to meet a man sized appetite. As promised, we were seated, very well fed, and on our way on schedule. We have already recommended this quirkily little place to several friends.

Norwalk, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Must Visit Restaurant”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I was in Bonita with my sisters and sisters-in-law and since I had visited Daniela's many times in the last several years I wanted to introduce them to it also. Of course when we arrived we were welcomed and seated as soon as a table became available (on a Saturday night) which was not a problem since we sat outside and all had a glass of wine while waiting. You must try the red Hungarian wine. It is wonderful.

We were all seated at a round table, there were 8 of us, and were waited on promptly and with extra special care. Since I had been there many times before Cori knew me and was most happy to meet the rest of my family. Daniela also came out and greeted us all and made some very good recommendations for dinner. I can't remember what everyone had but a few of them were the kale ravioli, the spinach ravioli with pumpkin (Cappellacci Verdi ala Zucca ), Stuffed peppers, the beef strips with spinach (Stracetti di Manzo) and the Fish Special of the Day. But what I do remember were the rave reviews from all of them. We especially like the eggplant spread and also the cucumber salad for the bread. The bread baskets were refilled without asking and the service was wonderful. After eating our entrees we shared a couple desserts...the creme brulee and tiramasu and were delighted with them also. We sat and finished our wine and chatted for awhile and never felt hurried at all.

All I can say is that if you are in the neighborhood...and as some reviews have said you do need to look carefully for it.....you will not be disappointed. In fact I would bet that it will become one if your favorite resaurants in Naples as it is mine.

1 Thank Kathy N
Naples, Florida
“A Neighborhood Hopeful”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Though Daniela's has been in business for 4 years I missed it since it is in a strip mall on Tamiami Trail @ Wiggins Pass...easy to drive by. It's a mix of Hungarian Romanian & Italian run by two sisters Cori and Daniela. This is home cooking and while I was not wowed with the food I'm looking forward to trying some of the more interesting dishes.

This is an understated neighborhood place but not uncomfortable (please put some candles on the tables) and very clean and pleasant. I ordered the Gulye Soup (Excellent) Hungarian Veal Stew with Spaetzle and my wife had the signature dish of Stuffed Cabbage with Polenta. The food was very well prepared but slightly bland. A little salt brought it to life. Since this style cuisine is unique to the bustling restaurants I want this place to be a success. It appears that Cori and Daniela put a lot of their Romanian ancestry into their cooking and the menu presents many choices. It was a slow night so Cori waited our table personally and discussed the dishes, their preparation and her history with her sister Daniela.

This is hearty food, you won't leave hungry and the prices are reasonable enough to go often. By the way, if you want to go "gluten free" I've never seen a Naples restaurant with as many options as Daniela's. These owners know what this means and know how to accommodate. There's a violinist on Saturdays (we missed the entertainment) so we'll be back soon on a Saturday.

• Visited December 2013