“Long Wait For Good Food”
Review of O'mei

O'mei
Ranked #730 of 988 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Naples
Bonita Springs, Florida
“Long Wait For Good Food”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

A friend recommended O'mei and since we were yet to find a good chinese "sit down restaurant" in this area, we decided to give it a try. After a 45 minute wait, food began to arrive. Two of us had soup. My friend raved about his "hot and sour" soup". My Wonton soup was not good. The beef filling within the wontons was very tough to outright hard and not at all pleasant. Then came the entrees and since a previous reviewer at Trip Adviser had raved about the" Mango Shrimp", we all ordered this. There were six or seven very large perfectly cooked shrimp in a delicious spicey/sweet sauce. We had brown rice and thoroughly enjoyed our delicious repast!!

In summary: Long wait, bad Wonton soup delicious entree. Perhaps if we had come at 5:30 and not 6:30, the service might have been better

2 Thank Carl L

Cleveland, Ohio
“Top notch Asian restaurant”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Honestly, some of the best Asian food ever! Loved the Spicy chicken wontons, the Wonton soup--a delicate version of it, the soup potstickers, the green beans, the Vivian chicken--unusual, the Mongolian beef, and their fried rice. All of it was excellent. Just wish there was one nearby!

Visited March 2014
Jersey Shore
“a success this time”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I visited and reviewed two years ago when we had some problems. Returned last week for really top notch food and service. The mango shrimp was spectacular.

Estero, Florida
“Food only fair-service poor”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I have been to many asian restaurants. I have eaten at dumps that were great, food- and service-wise. I have also eaten at gorgeous places that had food that was their equal. O-Mei didn't fit into either, as it is a very nicely furnished with excellent ambiance, and a very impressive menu, but that is about the extent of the positives. My dish, the chilean Sea bass, was nicely prepared and presented, tasted very nicely, but was very skimpy in size. My wife had a veggie tofu curry dish, in which the tofu was soft and mushy, and the few veggies were drowned in the curry sauce. She had requested no oil and was told that can't be done. It was a busy night, but that is no excuse for denying a request made by the customer, where the menu says "If you have a food allergy or special dietary restrictions,
please notify a manager or chef and we will try to accommodate you."

While I would characterize the food as passable, the service was short of that. Our server seemed to be preoccupied with other tables, his boss, the weather-not sure what. We had to ask other employees to bring us straws, drink refills, etc, because our waiter was difficult to find. The hostess seemed ticked off that I had to ask her to bring us straws. Not sure why?
Reading some of the reviews leads me to believe that there is a management problem beneath all the glitsches. I think it is a bad sign that there is only 1 excellent rating, and 3-4 terrible ratings over the last 3-4 months.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Pwrfdr
Boston, Massachusetts
“excellent chinese food...worth the wait”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We went to the restaurant with a group of ten...some had been here before. Reading the reviews prior to eating here...and then reading through the lines...I got it. The chef is very good but does not prepare the food quickly like most people have experienced when going for Asian food...but it was definitely worth the wait.

The wait staff was also challenged at times...but in the end came through...face it you're not paying big bucks for really good food. We all had a great variety of dishes that included beef (succulent), chicken (moist but cooked and flavorful), salmon, shrimp...soups and salads. The hoisan sauce with my Mu Shu pork was distinctive and very rich. All the group voiced their good fortune (oh, no cookies though).