“Fun informative invigorating afternoon”

Up a Creek Kayak Tours
Ranked #12 of 135 Tours in Naples
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Naturalist-Guided Kayak Tours in Naples, Marco Island, 10,000 Islands, and Rookery Bay Reserve. Explore mysterious mangrove tunnels, deserted barrier islands and pristine estuaries. All tours led by the owner, Susan. Susan is a Florida Master Naturalist Instructor, Certified Kayak Instructor and loves introducing people to this beautiful environment. Pre-registration required. We use comfortable, new, single sit-on top kayaks. Special group rates available.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Fenton, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun informative invigorating afternoon”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

With 10,000 mangrove islands in our backyard the thought of just renting a kayak and heading out for some exercise becomes a little intimidating… I decided to join the “Up a Creek” group for a two hour paddle in the waters surrounding The Isle of Capri near Naples and Marco Island.

The group I joined was quite fun, paddled well and the directions given by Susan and George were spot on. Unlike other trips I’ve been on the guides provided the right balance of nature involvement and paddle instruction, I think all the participants felt comfortable and safe at all times. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a kiddy ride, I’m sure I’ll have the sore muscles tomorrow to prove it!

Thanks again George and Susan for the fun, informative, invigorating afternoon! I can’t wait to do it again…

1 Thank RU5TY_51
SusanCone, Owner at Up a Creek Kayak Tours, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for us. I appreciate your comment about the balance. I try to provide just enough information about paddling towards the beginning of the tour so people feel confident but not overwhelmed. I try to pick up ques from the group and allow for adequate stretches of silence inbetween the naturalist aspects of the tour, to let you BE in this beautiful place without George or I yammering on and on. I hope you join us again when you are back. Many Thanks!

Minneapolis, MN
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great finish to our vacation!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My friend and I first met Susan and George at a launch site on Isles of Capri. Their tour for that day was already full, but we were later able to sign up with them on their 3-hour 12 Island Tour out of Goodland. It was the final day of our vacation, and just the two of us in the group.

We found their kayaks extremely comfortable and the paddles were a nice weight. Susan steadied my boat as I got in and out, which I truly appreciated as I have a knee that is often uncooperative.

What a lovely day! We’d never paddled in this particular area before, and as we headed out toward Coon Key, Susan and George shared tons of information about the ecosystem we were passing through. They helped us sight and identify numerous birds and showed us several little mangrove tree crabs which I’d never seen before. George pointed out a Great Blue Heron standing in an unusual display position; even though we often see Great Blues here in Minnesota, I’d never seen one do that!

We had a marvelous tour and thoroughly enjoyed our time with them. We will definitely go out with them the next time we come to Marco Island, and highly recommend that anyone interested in a stunning, informative day on the water sign up for one of their outings.

3 Thank GreyRaven
I remember our afternoon. It was so perfect! I am happy you found us and look forward to another adventure with you during your next visit to Marco Island. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. It means a lot to us to know our customers found the tour to be meaningful. Your vacation time is precious, and we understand that. Till our next adventure!
Cincinnati, Ohio
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Truly Exceptional”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

From the moment of speaking with Susan over the phone, asking some questions & booking our reservation, I knew we were in great hands. Upon meeting Susan & George, they both & the experience they offer truly delivered an exceptional adventure! It was a highlight of our time in Naples. Her website, www.upacreekkayak.com shows the easy to read/navigate calendar to see what tours are offered, when, where & how many spots left. Loved that our midweek, midday tour had just 4 reservations! It was like our own private tour. The directions are clear and the welcome & instruction just right. Susan & George walk you through getting situated, even providing dry sacks for your belongings (car keys, camera, etc.) and help you in your kayak. All the gear is up to date & in minutes you are out paddling in another world. Susan & George are extremely knowledgeable, (we learned so much) experienced, genuine, friendly & just overall care about your experience. Our 2.5 hour tour included paddling through mangrove tunnels, barrier islands, bird rookeries & learning about the ecosystem & history of the area. We saw countless beautiful birds & the highlight was beginning & ending our tour up close with dolphin. In the silent stillness of nature, the wonderment of all these creatures in this amazing environment is just awesome. Whether you are an experienced kayaker, a beginner or some where in between, you will experience this beautiful preserved sanctuary in a way you will not soon forget! We'll be back for some sunset & moonlight paddles too!

1 Thank RoverMusings
Thank You! You made my day. It is so kind of you to take the time to write a review for us. We really do care about our customers and strive to provide a positive experience. Really, my job is so easy. We seem to attract wonderful people like you who enjoy and appreciate nature. We have so many beautiful places to kayak here in Southwest Florida. It doesn't matter which tour you choose, it will be beautiful! Thank you and I truly hope to paddle with you again during your next visit to Naples or Marco Island. All the best to you.
Marco Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Susan and George are Knowledgeable and warm leaders”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our group of 10 women, average age of 65, had a wonderful kayak tour from Isles of Capri. Most of us have some experience paddling but were delighted to have the clear orientation. The equipment is up to date and lots of brightly colored kayaks make for beautiful photos. Susan is sensitive to the appropriate tempo for individual groups. There were about ten pauses to point out birds, clam formations, the role mangroves, tiny crabs, and so much more. You will not be disappointed.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Sue W
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Highlight of our stay in Naples”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Two of us booked a tour with Susan and George at the end of November. The booking itself was easy, the directions to get to the meeting place were very clear and they had good equipment for us. The route was well planned and they were great company - easy to be with, helpful, lots of interesting information about the environment and wildlife we were seeing. We really enjoyed the experience - a great way to spend time exploring Florida's natural environment.

Visited November 2012