Review Highlights
Always a great time!

I have property I often visit in Naples. While there, I always try and grab time fishing with... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
rtemp8686
Real nice trip

Capt. Tim was first rate all morning. He was great with both of us on sight fishing the snook... read more

Reviewed June 17, 2017
Chris W
via mobile

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 2, 2017

I took my 5 year old son fishing with Captain Tim on a half day trip and it could not have been a better experience. Tim is very knowledgeable about the local fishing spots and was incredibly good with my 5 year old. We caught a ton of fish including snook, jacks, blue fish, snapper and even a tarpon. I would recommend Captain Tim for anyone looking for a day on the water and we will definitely be using him again when we return to the Naples/Marco Island area.

Reviewed March 2, 2016

Captain Tim was courteous when I booked a fishing trip for my 83 year old father and myself. It was a beautiful day in the backwater of the 10,000 islands. Tim showed us his technique, which uses fake shrimp lures and an open bale rod. Tricky technique that he wasn't used to: cast, real in a few seconds, jerk the line up sharply, reel in, jerk the line and so on. Then do it all over. Requires quick reflexes and lots of stamina. My dad is used to typical spin casting fishing but is unable to stand for long periods to fish and this was too much casting for his old shoulder.

The first thing that was alarming was when Capt. Tim made my Dad wash off the mulch from his shoes before he got onto the boat. Then he continued to give rather curt directives about how to care for his boat and gear. He said, "You take care of my stuff, I'll take care of you." He was very concerned about the cleanliness of his little boat. It seemed a a bit ridiculous for a fishing trip. I wish there had been full disclosure about his technical fishing practices and the fact that he didn't want to use live bait and mess up his boat.

1  Thank marcotourist
Tim D, Owner at Fish The Salt, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2016

I truly appreciate constructive criticism, and always work towards ways I can better my business to provide a memorable experience to all my clients. However, I am learning I can't win them all.

I take out clients that range in age from the very young to quite elderly. Most of my regulars consist of Naples retirees. When you decide to book a fishing trip, I have nothing to go off of except that you would like to learn fishing techniques and spend a 1/2 day on the water fishing enjoying the beautiful environment that surrounds us here in SW Florida. I have taken out children from extremely young to 90+ years. I have never had somebody complain that my fishing techniques were too challenging. Whether we were using live bait or artificial bait, fishing still you requires you to cast in order to catch fish. I'm sorry I was unable to deliver up to your expectations.

As far as washing the dirt off your shoes before getting on my boat, I didn't think that my lying a towel on the dock to give a quick swipe before stepping on my boat was a big deal. This is my livelihood and workplace and the means at which I provide for my family. I do pride myself in trying to keep a clean workplace for my clients to enjoy. I truly appreciate that my clients pay a lot of money to come out and enjoy a beautiful day of fishing with me, and I do my best to provide them the safest, cleanest, and most accommodating means possible via my "little boat". I would never step into somebody else's workplace and not express the same courtesy. I know that this would not be acceptable behavior to do at my dentists office or lawyers office, so I don't understand why this would be such a difficult request to process in my workplace. I have never heard a client complain that this is a negative thing. Regarding the rather curt directives about how to care for my boat and gear, I believe you are referring to the fact that the cigarette ashes were falling on my boat and burning holes into the gel coat. Again, I do nothing but completely encourage a good time when coming out to enjoy the day, but a simple request to ash over the side of the boat didn't seem unreasonable in my book.

I work very hard on and off the water to try to provide the most enjoyable experience I can. I cannot predict what Mother Nature will provide us with. I ALWAYS attempt to catch my own bait for my clients, especially if that is their preference. On your particular trip, I was unable to find live bait due to the weather conditions we were dealt. From my experience, the best option was to use artificial lures. Rarely I am not always able to provide live bait, but using artificial lures doesn't mean you can't have a good time catching fish too. Some of my best days on the water have come via fishing with artificials.

I apologize that I was not able to meet your expectations.

Reviewed January 5, 2016

Capt. Tim is a lot of fun, very patient and knows the area like the back of his hand. Looking forward to more adventures chasing after snook and redfish.

Reviewed September 28, 2015

I went fishing with Captain Tim on a lark. I had a day off in Naples, and decided to spend a half-day on the water. I got lucky, Tim was available on a hot Florida summer day. His equipment is first class, and he was able to acommodate my disability. He knew all the shady places snook like to hang around in, and I caught several snook on a fly, my first ever. I look forward to fishing with Tim again.m He makes all the hard work look easy.

1  Thank CWKnob2
Reviewed April 19, 2015

My friend John & I went fishing with Tim on Friday and had a tremendous day. We moved to several holes and caught numerous Snook with a couple of monsters lost at the boat. We also caught some Jack, Sea Trout, and Snapper. We had a great time with Tim and would highly recommend him for a backwater experience. When reading the last review I thought to myself that there is always two sides to every story so don't let that review sway your thoughts of booking with Captain Tim!! Thanks Tim for a great first experience in the backwaters and we will
be booking again when in Naples. Chuck D