“Mosquitos!”

Collier Seminole State Park
Ranked #37 of 128 things to do in Naples
More attraction details
Owner description: This 7,271 acre state park lies partly within the great mangrove swamp of southern Florida, one of the largest mangrove swamps in the world. A wide variety of wildlife, including several imperiled species, inhabits this unusual blend of temperate and tropical native plant communities. Visitors can experience this park's remarkable wilderness on several trails. The Blackwater River originates in the park and meanders several miles through the mangroves to Blackwater Bay and the Ten Thousand Islands. The Friends of Collier-Seminole State Park offers popular daily 3-hour Guided Canoe Trip (9:30 AM - 12:30 PM) down the Blackwater River. No paddling experience required. All Canoes have padded seats and backrest! Please call the ranger station for trip price & reservations. The park has canoe rentals along with a boat ramp that provides access to the Blackwater River. Other trails offer opportunities for bicycling, hiking and nature observation. Campground sites have electricity, water, a grill and a picnic table. The restrooms have hot showers and one has a laundry facility. The park is open from 8:00 a.M. Until sunset, 365 days a year.
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Couldn't really pay attention to the park for all the Mosquitos and no-see-ums. Remember, it is at the edge of the Everglades. I'll never go back.

3  Thank Mackeac
"salt marsh"
"off road"
"tamiami trail"
in 8 reviews
"big cypress national preserve"
"boat launch area"
"everglades city"
in 7 reviews
"picnic area"
"come prepared"

Reviewed January 12, 2012

What a wonderful surprise.... Very nice place, No bugs...as many people blast about, but it was the Winter and plenty to do. Walking, bike riding, boating...on and on! Tried to stay another night but totally booked...I know why!

4  Thank mtgottago
Reviewed December 20, 2011

If you want a quick walk on a nature trail, then this location has some appeal but the mosquitos are biblical and there is honestly not much to see.

3  Thank Alice W
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Great beautiful park, however the Mosquitos are nothing like we've ever experienced before. Even with using tons of spray and lotion we still got bitten up beyond belief. My 9 year old is all infected from the bites. The tent campground is surrounded by standing water, so of course there is going to be a mosquito problem. Unbelievably there is a mosquito chart at the ranger station that they move an arrow and it only showed moderate. I can't imagine what would happen if it was severe! Don't camp there!

10  Thank Ricsan50
See more reviews
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I live in Naples, but wanted a weekend camping retreat by myself. I stayed in Camp site #17.

I bought plenty of yard guard and OFF with deet (it's the only thing that works against biting flies). I knew mosquitoes would be a problem, but I thought just a small problem. They were HORRIBLE. I go to different state parks, marshes and preserves every weekend and have never experienced the mosquitoes like I did here. I can spray a bit of OFF and I'm fine. But here, the yard guard did not work. I sat in the screen room until almost sunset because it was unbearable. I ended up retreating to the back of my truck around 9PM and left camp before 7AM the next morning. I was supposed to stay for 2 nights.

I'm not sure why the mosquitoes are so bad here and not at any other place I've visited. Certainly not the place to camp unless it is in the winter months.

4  Thank travelingfatso