“South Florida, Pure and Simple”

Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary
and up
All Day Lake Trafford Fishing Trip near Naples
Ranked #5 of 126 things to do in Naples
More attraction details
Owner description: Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary is a 13,000 acre Preserve. The Sanctuary is open daily from 7-5:30 with last admission at 4:30 pm. Visitors will find a gentle, pristine wilderness that dates back more than 500 years. A 2.25 mile boardwalk meanders through pine flatwoods, wet prairie, around a marsh and finally into the largest old growth Bald Cypress forest in North America. These impressive trees, relatives of the redwood, tower 130 feet into the sky and have a girth of 25 feet. Their massive branches are draped with mosses, lichens, bromeliads and ferns. The forest is also home to alligators, otters, white-tailed deer and red-bellied turtles. A wide variety of wading birds, songbirds, raptors and the fabulous Painted Bunting can be seen throughout the year. Photo opportunities are available at every turn of the boardwalk trail.
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I walked the 2.3 mile loop on Presidents Day. Saw plenty of birds, no gators yet and no wood storks. But the staff is wonderful and they have "rangers" positioned along the boardwalk communicating about species that are showing up in various spots. Kid friendly, weather permitting.

2  Thank Diefy
Write a ReviewReviews (2,577)

Reviewed February 9, 2011

Great walk in the woods, very relaxing. Helpful guides.

Reviewed January 24, 2011

This is really a GREAT place to visit. We went in the middle of January though and we kept noting how much better the place would be in the summer! When you first walk in there is a giant board of animal sightings from that particular day...we were excited to see there were so many on the board the day we visited. Bears, alligators, snakes, birds, spiders, lizards...etc. We started the 2 mile walk with tons of excitement...but slowly we realized the odds of actually seeing a live animal were slim to none. Tourists (unlike us) were extremely loud and if there were any animals within a few feet they were certainly running for cover. You should be walking quietly and calmly if you want to see any wildlife...obviously! There were two families with small children and loud strollers that hummed and squeaked down the wood planks. I don't know about you but if I were a lizard I would scatter too! I think people thought this was a marathon or something...just scooting along moving fast fast fast.

At the end of the two miles we saw one alligator (very far away) and a hawk. Nothing to scream over. But the walk is beautiful and perfect. The wood walkway is very well kept and you never step on the ground the entire walk. Very cool. Letttuce Lake is the best part...look for the alligators in there! I recommend a trip here...just be quiet and respectful to the visitors around you. The price was right for the time it takes to wander the walk. Be sure and eat before you get there because short of peanuts and gross microwaved sandwiches there is nothing edible here. Oh and the gift shop is lovely...cute kids t-shirts!

4  Thank Dazeychic
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Went here with my two young boys, and we loved it. The boardwalk is one of the best I've been on, there just aren't many places you can go and see what Florida looked like when the first colonist arrived. The heart of the swamp with its giant Cypress is very impressive. It's great that they preserved this for all of us...

Reviewed November 26, 2010

I stopped here on my way from Ft. Myers to Naples to check out the "elusive" orchids and alligators. Unfortunately they were too elusive for me but I still had and wonderful and educational experience during my 2.5 mile walk through the Corkscrew Swamp. I did see some fabulous winged wildlife and a couple fearless raccoons. All in all a very serene experience as long as I stayed away from the yapping tourists.

1  Thank Williams R