“Worst Place I Ever Stayed”
Review of Lakeside Inn

Lakeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mount Dora
Reviewed March 30, 2007

We were a group of 40 women who had booked in Nov. 96.
When we got there some of the people had no rooms, some had to double up in the same bed and my roomate and I had a bed and smelly cot. The bathroom was full of mold and the air conditioner was held together with duct tape! The staff did not appear to be overly concerned about our problems. One woman ever had a snake in her room!
DO NOT EVER STAY THERE!!!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marta123
There are newer reviews for Lakeside Inn

Reviewed March 22, 2007

I too was very concerned when I read the previous reviews, but I HAD to stay here to evaluate the property for a group meeting, and I was really very pleasantly surprised. I think that previous reviewers have been expecting a modern chain hotel experience, but this hotel represents the best of HISTORIC Florida. Yes, the fixtures in the bathroom are old...that is because they are ORIGINAL. Yes, the a/c units are in the transoms above the doors...that is because the hotel
was built before the days of central air. Yes, you could trip over the cord for the high speed internet connection...I was amazed they could even put in cable. Yes, there are some exotic smells from time to time (I didn't experience mold, but I did catch a whiff of insect spray on entering the buildings. These places weren't built with all the modern seals to keep out nature, but I didn't find a single invader during my stay. What I did find were absolutely charming views of the lake, a pleasant walk to quaint shops (where all the shopkeepers were friendly), excellent food in the restaurant, and a lobby that will be perfect for both visiting families and groups. The furniture was antique, charming and there were puzzles and games available like hotels of yester-year. And there were plenty of rocking chairs on the verandah.

I did ask the staff about previous reviewers' comments that they were unresponsive, and was told basically, "these rooms are historic,
they are what they have always been. We can't change that, and we can't apologize for it." The staff is very proud of their historic gem....and I was pleased to stay there. The room I stayed one had a plaque indicating that President Calvin Coolidge and his wife had spent the winter of 1933 in that very room. The bed in the adjoining
room was unusally low (see photos), but where else could you stay in an actual presidential suite of that era?

I have recommended this hotel for my organizations' future board retreat, and I plan to go back with my family as an individual traveller. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is interested in history, and stepping back in time. (It reminded me a lot of the Wakulla Springs Lodge.) I would not recommend this place for someone who wants to stay at a hotel that looks like every other hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank TallahasseeLassee
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Three of us decided to go to Mount Dora to shop for antiques. We had reservations 1 month in advance for a bedroom/parlor room. Check in time was 3:00. At 6:30, staff finally "found" us a room (after much insistence). There was a frost that night, and our room had no heat. When we called to tell them there was no heat, it was evident they already knew, but just didn't bother to tell us at check in. They brought us a very small heater that you would use under your desk to keep your feet warm. We had to call for blankets of which they sent two small, very worn ones up. We had to call for an additional heater since the first one was virtually useless. We asked for a coffee pot and were told that "housekeeping was closed" and that we couldn't get one until 7:30 the next morning. In the morning, our room registered 58 degrees.

We went to the front desk the next morning to speak to the manager. She told us she would get us another room, but that we would have to pack all our things up and move them out of the room we already had. When asked if it would be a double with a parlor, she said "yes". We left our belongings in the office and went out shopping. At 1:20, hotel staff called my home to tell us that our new room was ready. When my daughter told them she would give them a cell number they could call to notify us, they rudely told her that we would figure it out and that they wouldn't call us on a cell phone.

When we got back to the hotel, the manager told us "there has been a change of plans." They were giving us two king rooms, but no parlor, and that we would only be charged for one room. Upon checking the rooms, one room had two double beds while the other had 1 double bed and was a very tiny room. Interestingly, the very small room had a door in the bathroom that connected to what appeared to be another room. Who's ever heard of that? Oh, by the way, the next room didn't belong to us, our second room was down the hall.

Finally, when we checked out, they presented us with a bill for both rooms. We had to remind them one room was at no charge.

Staff was rude, unfriendly, and no apologies were offered .

The town is very charming, but next time we will stay somewhere else.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank NotHappyInMountDora
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Before I booked I did read the reviews and was very concerned about staying at the Lakeside. However, because every other place I wanted to stay at was booked I finally decided to take a chance and I was sorry. To be fair, the hotel is located in the best spot in Mount Dora. The location could not be nicer or more convenient. Also, the public places, i.e., the lobby, restaurant area and the grounds are clean, nice and well maintained. It is the rooms that are horrible. They may not be dirty but it is hard to tell because they are in bad shape. The best way I can describe them are "hovels". They have no amenities in the rooms at all. No coffee, fridge, etc. The bathrooms are just terrible and loaded with mold. It was totally impossible to regulate the water in the shower as it was either scalding hot or freezing cold. Could not take a shower at all at any time during my stay and taking a bath was not an option because the tub was horrible. The place needs a lot of work to become even habitable. Would not go to Mount Dora if this was my only choice. This is a shame because the setting and location is fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Cardon
Reviewed November 20, 2006

Our recent stay at the Lakeside Inn was a horrible experience. The staff was rude and never helpful. When we called to ask for an extra blanket because the heater didn't work they told us that "housekeeping was gone for the night." We had to insist that they open up another room as the rollaway only had a light blanket as it was rather cold outside. The shower went from scalding hot to freezing cold. I literally scalded my hand when the temp. changed. My daughter couldn't even wash her hair as the temp. never remained the same. When we mentioned this to management they said that they "checked it out" and "appeared fine to them." They should take a shower in there at 7 a.m. while everyone else in the hotel is bathing! The mattress was hard and the sheets wouldn't stay on the bed. The remote control would turn the TV on but it wouldn't change the channel. The towels were as small as they come and the coffee was three days old or empty. And if it was empty, please do not disturb the person at the front desk. The building smelled like a closed up old home and the shower had mold growing all around the rim. They charged us $200.00 a night for this experience...and had another hotel had vacancy we would have moved. I spend half of my life on the road and have never paid a premium (most expensive hotel in Mr. Dora from what we were quoted) for such a horrible service. Apparently, we are not the only ones that think so, as I was waiting to check-out I was standing behind a fellow unhappy customer...they didn't have heat either.

• Stayed: November 2006
6  Thank star_3721
Reviewed October 3, 2006

This was my 3rd vacation at the Lakeside Inn within 2 years. Obviously, my first 2 experiences were positive. This time, 2 months ahead of time ,I requested a room looking in the lake direction,in the main house. I was given & approved the rate of $169 per night. My mistake: having already been there twice,I did not request an email confirming that room. Upon arrival,they said the price went down to $159,then placed us on the 3rd floor, of a house away from the main house,no elevator, in a super tiny room,facing the driveway,not the lake at all,with an airconditioner filled with dust and cobwebs and a shower that produced cold water no matter how long one ran the shower.
When we made the arrangements on the phone,we were told that there were plenty of rooms available facing the lake,including the main house. This reservation was made in August for October 1. We have pictures of the AC and will probably send them to the Board of Health since my friend awakened with total congestion.
Quaint is old,charming, & elegant, not filth. It's "off-seaon"in that section of Florida. When we complained about the roon the first hour we were there,they said there were ONLY King suites available for $189 + tax. Usually, hotel staff will upgrade you if there is a problem without the charge. They didn't. The next day they removed $50 from the bill,but we had already had a miserable night's sleep & had a 3 hour drive home to south FL.
If you want to stay at this hotel,get everything in writing and have an email sent

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank europhile149
Reviewed September 21, 2006

My husband and I travelled from New York to attend my nephew's wedding held at the Lakeside Inn. It was a large wedding (152 people) and since there was a rehearsal dinner the night before we stayed two nights. Our rate was discounted because so many people from the wedding stayed there. I couldn't imagine paying the going rate of $299 per room, per night for the accommodations we had. There were several buildings with various kinds of accommodations. We had a simple double bedded room. It was extremely hot and humid for our entire stay and the air conditioner kept going on and off, making the most horrible, annoying and jack hammer like noise, and then finally stopping altogether. The Inn is old and not maintained well. The inn is always occupied despite the reviews but let the buyer beware. Maintenance couldn't explain nor fix the problem. The walls are less than paper thin and between people coming in slamming doors, running down the hallways, jumping down the stairs (hallways are tiered) all hours of the night a good night's sleep was not achieved. Bathroom towels are worn and small. There was no hot water for two days.Four members of the wedding party checked out, received refunds and checked in at the local Hampton Inn, because of terrible room conditions similar to our experience. Even the bridal suite had serious air conditioning problems. Believe it or not, I read bad reviews of this establishment beforehand and told the groom. It was too late to cancel. I thought it could never be this bad. WRONG! The wedding itself was very nice despite daily pm thunderstorms. The food was OK. The bottom line is the town of Mt. Dora and the Lakeside are very attractive on the outside and a good tourist spot but the Inn has done little to rectify ongoing complaints as seen in past reviews. If you want to visit the area, do so, visit the town and the Inn. It is a beautiful photo op but be advised, DO NOT STAY THERE!!!!! It will be a regrettable experience.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
Farnsworth House
Farnsworth House
#4 of 11 in Mount Dora
Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast

Been to Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!