“Loved the Lakeside Inn”

Lakeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mount Dora
Ft. Myers, Florida
Reviewed August 8, 2005

Absolutely fantastic!!!!! We are from Ft. Myers, Fl and spent the week-end at the Lakeside Inn. Dinner, music, service, atmosphere was wonderful. It was my husband's birthday gift to me. We have lived in the sub-tropics for around 30 years and are very acquainted with it's weather, humidity and seasonal mosquitos. If you want the Southern Florida experience this is the place. It's like going back in time. A love of antiques, balmy weather, nice breezes, high ceilings, wood floors, lake views, giant live oak trees with moss hanging from them is the old Florida I was looking for and wanted to experience and it was there at Lakeside. Had I wanted an interstate motel I could have gotten one but we like to stay in places and experience the culture. The desk clerks were so helpful and fun. The waitress that night at dinner was making our evening of dining wonderful. The music coming from the lounge was ageless. We both are in our 60's and appreciate Florida for all it offers: freedom of snow,not tons of clothes to wear, water fun year round, palm trees and much more. I guess I can say all that because I am originally from Ohio and it gets pretty cold there. I loved the old room we stayed in, the smell of wood, the paned windows, the room with a few antiques in the sitting room and bedroom. I came back and told friends and they love the same things that southern Florida has and will probably take in a week-end. I shall never forget a piece of the past called "Lakeside Inn".

Stayed: August 2005

Lake Mary, FL
Reviewed July 24, 2005

Lakeside Inn is definitely a place to stay away from.

Firstly, the place is a dump - even for an older establishment. Everything about the room was gross: stained bedding, very dirty carpet (i didn't dare take off my shoes and socks), the bathroom was hideous. If you don't believe me, stay there for a night and let it 'soak' in, grime and all.

Secondly, the front desk receptionist was rude, but this is trivial. Maybe she was unhappy about working at such an unkept establishment.

Thirdly, our meal was overpriced and substandard. My friend & I ordered dinner and ate in the room. Price for 2 small meals and 2 drinks: over $100.00. Quite ridiculous.

Luckily there were no insects to be seen (or heard).

Old hotels don't need to be as run-down as Lakeside Inn. There are many old bed-and-breakfasts throughout Florida that are clean & in great shape.

It's sad to read some people went to Lakeside Inn for 'romantic or quaint getaways', when in fact a Motel 6 or Holiday Inn would be much more so (in my opinion).

In a way it's comforting to see so many other people have had as bad a time at Lakeside Inn as I have :(

• Stayed: May 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Barre, vt
Reviewed July 18, 2005

the best time we have had , this is not the first time we stayed here and i can see an improvment each time. upon checking in the clerk (julie i think)
greeted us and explaied the room we reserved was not ready but we can do the paper work . we did then went shopping on town came back and to our suprise was told we were upgraded . what a nice suprise and what nice sunset vews from our picture window.
breakfast was very good our server Robert (i think) was very out going. we had dinner and again GREAT food our server Deb was super

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2005

WOW! how can there be so many negative reviews of this place?

I stayed there a couple of weeks ago and had a great experience. The room was very nice and had big windows that overlooked both the lake and the pool. I had read these reviews after I booked on-line, so I was more than ready to confront any and all staff members if I was not happy.

Julie at the front desk was great. Our room, with a view, was charming. The sunset, with drinks in hand, was perfect (OK...we were on a lake in the middle of the state, not the gulf of Mexico). I didn't pay all that much for the room. We had a few good and inexpensive cocktails by the pool. What else could I ask for?

And best of all, I did not see one bug the whole freakin time. I am certainly not easy to satisfy and travel frequently. The inn is what it is: a charming place that may need some work, but one that certainly does not deserve such poor reviews...at least from my experience.

Stayed: June 2005
12  Thank Paul L
mt dora,florida
Reviewed June 16, 2005

It was a few years ago when my husband and I stayed at the Lakeside Inn. We were in the process of moving to Mt. Dora and needed a place to stay while we house searched. Because this hotel (aka 'the dump') had such a beautiful setting we decided to stay there. To say it was old, musty, and over ran w/ baby roaches is an under-statement!!! We are used to staying in very nice hotels so to be honest I thought I must be spoiled and did not complain---after all, Mt. Dora ,as quaint as it is ,does not have a first-class anything. So today I stumbled upon this web site and read all of these reveiws which mimicked my stay at this terrible hotel. I could not believe that after all of these years this place is still as filthy and shameful as I remembered it!

• Stayed: April 2001
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2005

My Friend and I checked in on Friday night. We were tired and didn't pay much attention to surroundings. During the night I was somewhat bothered by something flying around my head. Not wanting to put the light on to disturb my friend, the next morning my pillow had dead insects. on it. These inspects did not bite--but it was not pleasant.

Upon going into the bath, there were a couple of cockroaches.

I live in Florida so that I am used to a certain amount of insects problems, but we hire the appropriate extermintors to correc the problem.

When addressing the problem at the front desk. A(We wrote it down, so as not to embarrass the front desk). The clerk was rather insensitive.

Alsi when we wanted to know why the bill was so high , as opposed to what we had been quoted, we were not given a break-down.

• Stayed: June 2005
Sebing, Fl
Reviewed April 18, 2005

My sister and I stayed for 1 night. The desk clerk was rude and abrupt telling us the room was not ready at 3 in the afternoon as promised>The hallways were musty smelling and rooms were too. The setting is beautiful and thank God the weather was also as you didnt want to spend alot of time in there>no ammenities at all. What a bargain for $243 a night. Would never stay there again. I want some Holiday Inn!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2005
Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast
Mount Dora Historic Inn
Mount Dora Historic Inn
#6 of 11 in Mount Dora

Been to Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!