“Beautiful and friendly but average”
Review of Lakeside Inn

Lakeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mount Dora
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Lakeside Inn is a beautiful old historic hotel on the edge of Lake Dora. It has immediate charm when you drive up. To be fair, I really enjoyed my stay but only because waiting for my room in the bar, there were local musicians and friendly locals having wine with whom I chatted and enjoyed an afternoon watching the Broncos beat the Chargers. When I arrived, my room wasn't ready so I went into the bar to watch the football playoffs. The front desk said they would come and get me when the room was ready. They didn't. I sat down at the bar asking for a red wine and the bartender didn't know a cabernet from a Coors light. She looked at the liquors, she looked in the beers, she looked in the beers in the refrigerator, and after telling her three times - it's a wine, a red one - it won't be in the refrigerator, she started looking at the wine bottles but didn't know which one to pick. It took intervention from a waiter to get a glass. She was very nice and later apologetic but admitted it wasn't her thing. I finally went out to the registration desk during half time and asked why no one had come into the bar to give me my keys. She was surprised but pleasant. There was no bell staff to help with my suitcase, carry it up the front steps, and no elevator to the 2nd floor so hauling luggage was a pain. I got no information about the room - just the number. I was assigned a room in the old hotel rather than the other buildings.The room was on top of the bar and until bar patrons leave and the bar is closed, you will hear every conversation. I went down to watch the SeaHawks playoffs just to get away from the noise. Fortunately, the bar closed at 8 on Sunday. The room was clean but dated - as expected in an antique.I turned on the heat because it was chilly at 64 and went to bed. I woke up to a room that was now 60 degrees, calling and asking the front desk about heat.They indicated there was a space heater in the closet (I remarked that I was floored that a hotel of this reputation didn't even have central heat) - there was none so housekeeping brought me a tiny space heater that you would buy at the local big box store. My recommendation is don't stay in the old hotel itself unless you are away from any of the social areas - dining room or bar. Stay when the temperature is nice or in one of the other buildings across the auto court from the hotel where there MIGHT be a real heating system in the winter. It would be unsafe to run one of these space heaters all night long. Enjoy the charm of the place and tolerate the inconveniences.

Room Tip: Rooms in the outbuildings are quieter. Ask about the environmental system to make sure you won't...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed January 13, 2014

A great old place. Can't wait to come back!! Really charming. If your looking for perfect it is not, but its 130 years old. Can't say enough good about this place and the town. Beautiful grounds. When I walked up to check in a guy was in tux,top hat with cain looked like I was back in the day!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 13, 2014

the hotel is so lovely it near the town it has a lovley lake i will so come back

beautiful surroundings . Lakeside Inn overlooks Lake Dora. We leave the car parked during our stay because entertainment and food is within walking distance. Clean rooms. Friendly staff. Outdoor pool overlooking the lake. Gift shop on grounds. Restaurant on grounds.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sasha P
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This historic Inn has certainly lost its charm factor when it comes to the rooms. We have stayed there quite a bit a ways back but they have definitely went down the tubes where that is concerned...each time we let's give them one more chance....No more. They claim they upgraded most of them but can you really call it upgraded if you slap a coat of paint on the walls and change the mildewed carpet? . ...Not too long ago, we stayed 3 nights and were given a non renovated room and it was disgusting. The floors in the bathroom are not discolored with age, they are filthy...there is mildew in the showers, broken hardware, leaky toilets, musty smells, spider webs and flickering lights, etc. They refused to move us to another room..(.It was 4th of July weekend so we had no where else to go....) Then housekeeping didn't arrive until after 3pm the next day and the supervisor was very unpleasant. Her excuse for everything was that they were short staffed....since when is that the paying guests fault? The manager of the hotel comped us one night in a so called renovated room on our next stay....yippee, and then even that was a disappointment when we saw what they called renovated. All else appeared the same except the carpet and paint.....My Lord, I know the hotel is from the 1800's but so are some of the bed and breakfasts close by and they are immaculate. Historic really can be kept clean, repaired, fresh, and have a polite accommodating staff amidst the old charm. However, I will tell you that the location is beautiful, right on Lake Dora, and the rockers on the long porch of the main building are pretty much the only delights of the whole place. Go enjoy those, but stay someplace else! I know we will...

Room Tip: Tell them you want to see the rooms available BEFORE you check in...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ImTheTravelGirl
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed the weekend for short getaway. Kept the boat at their dock and thoroughly enjoyed the inn and the surrounding area. The downtown area is walkable and plenty of options. Hotel is old (historic) but clean and cool. Beds were so so but travel for work a lot so somewhat a pillow / bed snob.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2014

In mid December, we traveled to Mt. Dora, a treasure of a small town in Central Florida. During that one-day visit, we had lunch in the elegant dining room of the Lakeside Inn. Upon talking with the staff at the desk, we learned that they had a "New Year's Eve" package, consisting of a one-night stay, cocktail hour, hats, etc., elegant dinner in the formal dining room, dancing to a really great band, and a midnight celebration.

This inn, built in 1883, is listed on the Historic Register. It is being renovated, and the owners hope to restore it totally to its original glory. The chef is outstanding, the staff, professional and friendly. We had a room with a four-poster king bed, a connecting bathroom, and a second bedroom, also fully equipped. Our room overlooked the pool and mall area. There were balconies where you could sit and enjoy the sun, and this was all in one of the auxiliary buildings (two of them, built when the inn needed more rooms).

This inn is in a self-contained area, provides free parking, a Gate House Gift Shop featuring products by local artists, a full front porch on the Inn building with half of that devoted to a long row of white rockers, for those who just want a little respite, and the other half set up with tables for lunch.

The tour trolley stops at the front entrance, and for a fee of $16 will take you all over the town to learn of the development and history of this community. We regretted that we could not take the nighttime tour, so that we could see the lights.

Walking around the town during our first visit provided that delight, and the shops are all so unique and were decorated to the max for Christmas. Float plane rides were available at the dock near the Inn, as were tour boats to take you to see Lake Dora. In a shop about two blocks away, segway scooter rides are available (after instruction!) Tip: If you decide to take the segway tour, pick up a brochure locally, and call ahead to make your reservation. You'll get $5 off the charge for the tour..

Warning: Most of the shops are closed on New Year's Eve by 3 p.m., and all day on New Year's Day. We had a very good lunch on New Year's Eve at a restaurant named Ceclle's French Corner Cafe. There was also, of course, a gift shop there.

This was the perfect way and the perfect place, to ring in the New Year. We may just go again next year!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast
Farnsworth House
Farnsworth House
#4 of 11 in Mount Dora

Been to Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!