“Lakeside is OK”

Lakeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mount Dora
Reviewed April 29, 2008

Date of stay: Mid April 2008
Trip Advisor member Bristol UK.
Between Orlando & Kissimee on the 192. Very easy for the theme parks. Hotel is good value for money, room clean and tidy if a bit basic, ensuite had shower over bath but was on the small side. Air conditioning was very noisy and disturbing as it cut in and out not running all the time. Room service was fine. Pools good and facilities generaly good, Food OK. Our family room for 4 people had 2 double beds, not helpful if you have kids and I'm not sure that 2 couples would want to share the room. Reception helpful and fairly knowledgeable. The Golden Coral close by is good for a buffet breakfast / lunch. Look out for discount vouchers in magazines in reception.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed April 14, 2008

We stayed there because for the last two years our group has held their function in Mt. Dora. Last year our room was dingy and smelly and the toilet was one step from caving through the floor. When we found out our function was being held here again, I was hesitant to even consider returning, but was eager to re-connect with good friends. The place was in worse condition than last year. The air conditioning was so loud when coming on that we were awoken by the noise. The carpet and furniture were in no way up to par. There was a obvious repair done to the ceiling in my room, because the blue chalk line was still there. Many of our group's rooms had no hot water for their entire stay . I have told the organizers of our function that if it is held at the Lakeside Inn next year, I will not be participating.

I have stayed in some pretty bad motels, but they were cheap and still had hot water.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 8, 2008

I recently visited the Lakeside Inn in Mount Dora, Fl. We had gone there a couple of years ago and it was beautiful, quaint, and charming. I returned last week with my family only to find that their property is in an awful state of disrepair. The grounds are run down. The lake area has hardly any sand left, the peir is in disrepair, the pool is unkept, there was an alligator right off the shore with no warning signs at all. The room was a complete disaster. This was the most discusting room I have ever had to stay in. It was musty and filthy. The walls were dirty, handprints on the doors, cigarette burns on the coverlet, dirty windows and drapes. The bathroom was sickening. The tub was black on the bottom, some pipe was sticking out and there were holes in the walls from previous decorations. The window was also dirty and the curtain looked to have a blood stain. The television in the room was cracked. The window glass pane on our 2nd story room could be pushed out. If someone leaned on it, I think it would fall. The hallways have no A/C and have cobwebs and spiders around the emergency sprinklers. When maintenance came they did not have uniforms or even ID badges.

The main lobby although quaint, had a musty smell and a cat... The restaurant took an hour with our food that was not that great. No questions, apologies or adjustments were made ot even suggested as to our quick departure.

The staff was pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We booked our reservation on a whim. My wife had been to a dinner in the restuarant and thought it was quaint enough. After booking the reservation, we went online and saw the TripAdvisor reviews and we were expecting a dump. It's not, but it does need a ton of work. And was not a good value for the price.

The buildings are in need of repair, paint, the grounds are not very well kept. On the plus side, the veranda really is a nice place to have a cocktail or cup of coffee and it's close to everything downtown.

Our room had old furnishings and linens, but at least it seemed to be clean, which was a relief. We would not stay there again, and there really is no need to. There are a handful of other places that we checked out while were were in town (The Magnolia Inn and the Grandview were the best), and there were others.

Mount Dora is cool, but stay at a better place than the Lakeside Inn.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2008

My family and I had a lovely stay. We stayed in the Terrace building which was very nice. Our room had a historic charm, my brother loved sitting on the verandah and reading. Resturaunt and lounge was very pleasant. Try the prime rib, it is awesomely delicious. I saw some negative postings and can't believe some of the experiences others had there. Our stay was great and the hotel was very charming. I will be returning, Mount Dora had nice shops as well. The staff suggested we try the buffet and we all enjoyed that. The interaction with the staff was great, I recall my mother commenting on that on our ride home.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2008

I have written a letter to the Mt.Dora Chamber of Commerce. This property is a disgrace to their city and the State of Florida. I live in Jacksonville, Fl. and have visited many historic places but the Lakeside Inn is beyond renovations. The cleanliness is awful. The premium price for a "lakeview" afforded us with a yard full of weeds, broken concrete and trash. The bathroom was a disgrace with broken tile, corroded fixtures and blacck mold in every corner. Thank goodness we only guaranteed and stayedd 1 night. Please advise travelers to avoid this property

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank dbutler600
Reviewed February 22, 2008

We stayed at the Lakeside Inn recently and were very disappointed. When we arrived expecting to have dinner we were told the restaurant closed on Sundays and the bar closed at 8 no mention of this when we booked the room. The room was well below standard and the bathroom in dire need of repairs the shower hardly worked and the bath dirty . There was no coffee maker and all in all a very poor standard hotel. The pool didn't look very inviting so we gave that a miss. We paid $143 for this room and feel we were totally ripped off!!! We did inform the reception in the morning that were not happy about the room etc but no offer of refund was made.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast
Maison en Ville
Maison en Ville
#7 of 11 in Mount Dora

Been to Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!