“Greeat Location”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mount Dora
Albany, Oregon, United States
“Greeat Location”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Lakeside Inn is an early American landmark. The grounds are beautiful, with stately trees and private lakeside property. The hotel lobby is delightful and the staff was helpful and friendly. Our room was a little too rustic for us for us and in need of TLC.
The Mt Dora community is charming with unique shops and good restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ruby L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Miami
Reviewed February 2, 2013

After taking over this hotel two years ago from an owner who neglected this lovely property for 15 year, the new owners have their work cut out for them. They are in the process of renovating all of the rooms.

We spent two nights here in a renovated room. Everything was very clean, worked well and was comfortable. This is a historic property. It is quaint, has charm but is not luxurious. The breakfast was decent. Everything was tasty and hot.

The grounds are in beautiful shape. There were workers everywhere keeping things neat and clean. The view of the lake is outstanding and the sunsets breathtaking.

We also took a seaplane ride with John in his fabulous DeHavilland Beaver. His tour was very informative and the flight smooth. He is a wonderful pilot. You can tell he really loves what he does.

Mt. Dora is a quaint town with fun shops and good restaurants. We had the cheese strudel at the Ger man restaurant. The last time I had such a good cheese strudel was when I lived in Vienna, Austria.

We also went biking on the West Orange trail, about a 20 minute drive south of Mt. Dora. It was a very well maintained county bike trail through natural areas and neighborhoods but never alongside a road for very long. I highly recommend it if you like to ride bike.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
2 Thank reisenoft
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Once you stay at this hotel, you know it's a dump, but at least you know what you're getting in to. They cannot guarantee you a room even with an on-line room reservation and they're too incompetent or can't be bothered with this issue. Maybe someday someone with money & intelligence will return this historic landmark to the gem she deserves to be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 7gatorgirl

Travelers are raving about these Mount Dora hotels

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed January 30, 2013

*I give 10 point reviews*

Overview:
The Lakeside Inn is a historic inn in Mount Dora, Florida. Mount Dora is home to many fun shops, restaurants, and bars. There are also carriage rides, seaplane rides, and boat tours. There is plenty to see if you just want to walk around, too. If you like old buildings and know what NOT to expect here (luxury), you will enjoy your stay. If you *really* want to enjoy your stay, ask for Sabrina at the front desk, AND ask for a renovated room.

In short- if you're thinking about going to the Lakeside Inn, don't cancel your trip on account of some of the reviews. Just know that it's an old place and the staff is adjusting to all of the changes. Ask for a renovated room, and you'll be fine.

I wish I could post two reviews: One for the excellent service, and one for the current appearance of the Inn! While our service experience was excellent, I would not want anyone to feel misled by my review: this place is OLD and rundown in some places. I'm talking about water stains on the ceilings, chipped tiles, creaky showers, old carpeting, and duct-taped a/c units in the room. HOWEVER, though it was rundown, our room was very clean. Spotless, even.

The hotel is going through extensive renovations, and we can see a huge difference (though not in our particular room- it had not been renovated yet) on the grounds and in some of the other buildings. As we were leaving we asked to see one of the newly renovated rooms, and it was LOVELY. The place has needed work for quite awhile, and I'm happy to see it getting done, albeit slowly.

I want to add that we went here for my husband's birthday, and the staff went over and above to make it a special occasion. There is one room at the Inn with a balcony, and since my husband LOVES balconies, I booked it. Sabrina and Angela, employees of the Inn, went out of their way to help me prepare a surprise dinner on the balcony for him. In addition to this review, I will be sending the management a letter outlining the excellent service and attention that we received from these two employees (although everyone else was nice and helpful, too).

Style:
The place is Victorian. There's a pretty wrap around porch and white rocking chairs.

Neighborhood Notes:
You really cannot beat the location of the Inn. You will be steps away from everything the town of MD has to offer.

Room Notes:
See above. Our particular room (the only one with a balcony) was spotlessly clean, but NOT luxurious. As I've stated above... I cannot wait to see the renovations! Unless you are coming home to a renovated room at the Inn, do not expect to be swept off your feet. If you like the charm of old buildings, like I do, you'll be fine- just know what to expect.

Room Quiet Rating:
This is not a quiet hotel. I add this part into all of my reviews as we are both light sleepers. You can hear everyone walk down the hall, and since the floors are wood (narrow rugs) you will hear creaking, too. Running the AC unit for the white noise really helped. We also recently purchased a white noise machine ($50 on amazon, made in the US, by DOHM- google it) and that has made a big difference for us at home and traveling. If you are a light sleeper, you'll want one of these and will want to take it with you!

Room View Notes:
We had an adorable room with a big balcony that overlooked the lawn. The lake is visible from many of the rooms.

Food/Dining Notes:
Breakfast is included in your stay. It's your typical hotel breakfast- bacon, eggs, potatoes. For our balcony dinner, we ordered from the restaurant menu, and it was very good. Angela, the restaurant manager, was very helpful and if you have any issues at all, go to her with them. We had a drink or two in the bar, and the bartender was friendly.

Cleanliness:
Our room was rundown, but very clean.

Nice upscale soaps in the bathrooms, good on-site restaurant, and breakfast is included in your stay.

Modern Amenities:
Wifi is available, but I did not try to connect to it.

Customer Service:
We had a wonderful experience with customer service. Angela and Sabrina were very helpful for anything we needed. Angela brought by a complimentary bottle of wine for my husband's birthday. One reviewer on here named Sabrina by name and complained about her, however she was very nice and helpful to me. Working the front desk is HARD work, and the hotel is obviously going through many changes, and I'm sure the staff have a tough time at first.

All in all, we had a great experience with the customer service at the Lakeside Inn.

Room Tip: The balcony room is very cool (there's only one) but it has not been renovated yet. If you like...
1 Thank GirlSunday
Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night a few days before Christmas as we were passing through town. I reserved the room on their website a few days prior. I didn't expect the amentities of a new Hyatt, and the aging condition of the inn was acceptable to me. The included breakfast was good, both in service and food. I was ready to return again until I found I was charged $125 for an additional night when we only stayed 1 night. I left numerous messages with their accounting dept., called the front desk a number of times and was told they would "look into the situation". Finally after 2 weeks of no response I disputed the charge with my credit card company. Good thing I used a credit card and not a debit card. My credit card company attempted a 3 way call with them and could not get anyone on the phone there to discuss the manner. At that point, the credit card company issued a credit to me and sent the issue to their fraud dept. I can't belive this hotel would not be able to hire someone capable of resolving a minor issue like this.

It's a shame because it really is a great location.I hope they can make the necessary changes.

Room Tip: stay in the newer buildings closer to the lake, the rooms in the main building are the original room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We went to Mount Dora for our anniversary to get away from the bustle of Orlando. The rustic charm of the old hotel was relaxing just like we wanted. The staff was friendly and the bed was comfortable. We stayed in the Gables which is a "newer" part of the hotel. The shower was fantastic! The bathroom reminded me of my Grandmother's. Of course we were there for the Antique Extravaganza so we like old things. I do suggest earplugs to sleep because the walls are thin, however that is part of the experience.
Two things that keep me from calling it Excellent. First, the reservation process asked when you will arrive. I said 2pm because that was the plan. Our room was not ready. I assumed that this was part of the service of the hotel, to have the room ready as requested but it appears all rooms are not done until 3pm. The reservation process should say no checkin until 3. This avoids any confusion or disappointment. Second, the WiFi did not make it to my room (ironic I like old things, but need my internet). I was okay, however when I realized that sitting on the great porch at the main building made the WiFi accessible. The porch is fantastic, especially at sunset!
I will recommend Lakeside Inn to others and will probably return. However, anyone that wants the new modern setting should go elsewhere because they will not truly appreciate this gem in Mount Dora.

Room Tip: The view from the rooms at the end of the newer buildings is worth extra dollars, especially at suns...
Tuscania, Italy
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We fell in love with Mount Dora last year when we went to see it. It is the most charming, lovely, cute, and romantic place. We saw the Lakeside Inn and fell in love with it too! It's location is absolutely stunning. The sunset by the lake is magical. The changes of color when the sun goes down is unforgetable. So, obviously we wanted to stay at this Inn.
We were very sad to discover that this Inn is practically falling apart. We stayed at the left building facing the lake. We entered to encountered a smelly building with a very dirty and old carpet. Our room was big and poorly-maintained. It smell bad, the bathroom was old, dirty, everything falling apart. It is obvious that the owners, whoever they are, are not investing in this Inn or just dont have the financial ability to do so.
The restaurant was a pleasant surprise since it was excellent. The service is not the best and some of the people are not very friendly. Not people-oriented.
The place is almost always full not because of the quality but because people fall in love with its location. I don't expect to go back. The rooms are too deteriorated.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, request a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
#5 of 11 in Mount Dora
Farnsworth House
Farnsworth House
#4 of 11 in Mount Dora

Been to Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!