“Charming cottage, charming town!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Dora
Tremain Street Cottages
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed in the Oasis cottage on Mt. Dora for a long Labor Day weekend. The location was perfect for walking a the lake and downtown. It is behind a larger house, also owned by the same people. Loved, loved the tucked away, quiet feel if it. The cottage was immaculate- new towels, everything sparkling! The screen porch was my favorite spot. Also, the owners are easy to contact and very helpful. Looking forward to visiting again!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Cabingal55

Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I are probably younger than most that frequent Mount Dora but, we had heard it was a fun not-too-far place to visit on a long weekend. So, at the last minute my I made a same-day reservation for my wife, my daughter and I. I had seen and reached the cottages on-line a few months earlier and felt like I had found a hidden gem with all the positive reviews. However, I wanted to call and make sure that it was alright to bring our daughter as some places like this have rules against younger children. The price as listed on the website (the owner's) was $87. However, the website itself says you can enter a booking discount code and receive $10 off. I tried this without confirming the reservation and it did show the price being reduced to $78.

I mention it because when I called to ask about my daughter the lady on the other end (who was very nice) said she would go ahead and take my credit card info. over the phone, even though I first offered to do it myself online. She asked ME if the price listed online was $97. I said no, it said $87. It made for a weird and awkward moment in the conversation; for me anyway. Because I made my booking over the phone I was charged $87 and not $78. 11% sales tax brought it up to about $98. Not the end of the world but, I could have just as easily have hung up the phone, made a couple clicks on my tablet and saved $10. As a customer, my perspective is that a proprietor A) should know what prices they are currently listing online not ask me B) offer to give me the discount when I am willing to book online.

We stayed in the "Hideaway" cottage. This is the upstairs of the house that sits closer to the street. Off-street parking was tight but adequate. The cottage was clean and had some unexpected niceties like a small fridge, microwave and large sink. The layout, however, is very strange. The stairway that leads up to the cottage is VERY steep and it is difficult to close the door when standing on the bottom step because there is no landing. Since this is basically a converted attic, some of the ceilings are slanted with the peak of the roof. Even though I am not a very tall guy (5' 7") you do need to watch your head in some areas. The bathroom is perhaps the most unusual thing. The shower is just wide enough to stand in- and I mean JUST. It is apparent that this was something added in later to make it work as a rental. The headroom is limited and again, at my height, I was nearing the limit. As others have mentioned about other cottages the toilet is so close the an outcropping at the foot of the wall that you can't quite sit straight when using it. The "nook" where there is a small desk is perhaps the oddest feature, wrapping around the backside of the stairs and elevated higher than the rest of the floor. It seems as if that was the only thing they could come up with to make use of the space. I don't have a better idea but, I really can't see it being very useful or making the effort to go back there to use it. The bedroom was the best feature. It's mostly occupied by a large king size bed that was very comfortable. There is also a large dresser that a longer-stay guess would appreciate I'm sure.

Other reviews have said they like the decor... It certainly isn't my taste, but, I understand how others find it endearing if they are into the antique look. Overall, I feel like it is a mix and match of different styles (including modern) without any cohesion. From the furniture to the art I think the best thing I can say is that it is eclectic. But, honestly, I really don't care about it too much so it didn't bother me.

The cottage has an in-room A/C thermostat and an additional window unit. It was really hot while we were there but we never really felt it was necessary to turn on the window unit. I am not sure why it is there. Pull-down shades on all the windows were nice.

There was a standard-definition TV that had cable access. However, the cable box was in an odd place beside the TV and wouldn't pick up the signal from the remote when seated on the loveseat. I turned it slightly so that it would face more toward us. That was my mistake. The power supply cord was flaky and it took a lot of monkeying around to get it to sit in such a way that the unit would be powered. Frustrating. We abandoned trying to use it in favor of using my laptop to watch Hulu. On that note, there was reliably Wifi and it was fast enough to stream video without issues. So, in the end the TV was not a big deal but, something that should not have been an issue.

The most unfortunate occurrence was waking up in the morning and discovering a large roach on the wall next to the sink area. Now, I totally sympathize here... this is Florida and there can put roaches even in the cleanest of places but, I would be lying if I said that it was not a turn off. I am not sure if it is a real problem or something that is just those once in a blue moon occurrences but it is just something you never want to see at a place you're staying. If this was a chain hotel I would have been in the lobby in a hot minute insisting on a refund or a different room.

On the whole, I felt like for the price, it was a an alright place to stay. However, not the amazing place that others in the most of the reviews rave about. Maybe we would feel differently if we had stayed in a different unit but we chose a "double occupancy" since it was just myself, my wife and my daughter. I would be willing to give it a second chance but honestly, next time we will probably explore other options.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Jynx73
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Rendezvous Cottage at the end of June 2013 as a birthday getaway. To my surprise, we did not feel as though we were in Florida. Historic homes, rolling hills and beautiful nearby springs kept us in awe during our stay. The locals are quite friendly and helpful right down to tours, shopping and dining. During our stay at Tremain Cottages, we were mere blocks from the quaint Downtown area. My husband and I have decided to add Mt. Dora as a return destination. We are already spreading the word to friends, family and coworkers on how they should visit a step back in time! Thank you Tremain Cottages for your hospitality. See you real soon.
Donna and Randy, Port St. Lucie, FL

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Donna F
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I had some family stay in town and didn't have enough room for them in my house. They stayed here in the first floor Garden Cottage and I stayed a night with them. This is a very roomy cottage with 2 bedrooms, kitchen and table large enough for the family to sit around.
There is also a washer and dryer available and a nice sitting area in the back yard.
This cottage is pet friendly and within walking distance to downtown shopping.
My favorite is the screened in front porch to sit and read or watch people passing by.
I will definitely book this cottage again in the future

Room Tip: No pets or children allowed on second floor rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank littlefishworld
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed at the Nantucket cottage for three nights in May. We saw all the great comments on TA and were excited to arrive. There were positives and negatives in our stay. First, the good:
The personnel we talked with on the phone during booking and at arrival were most courteous, helpful and friendly. The process was simple and easy and they explained all the items that would be available during our stay. The proximity to downtown Mount Dora is great. Literally a 5 minute walk to the center of town. Parking is off-street and an easy access to the cottage. The AC worked great.
Now, for the not so good: Almost all of the cups, plates and utensils nedded to be washed. The cups in the cupboard had dried coffee rings in the bottom. The sink spigot had a annoying little sideways spray that would spray your shirt or pants everytime the water was turned on. We learned to put our hand over the spout after awhile. The floor was swept, but dirty, especially in the corners. The toilet sits right next to a large drain pipe that makes it difficult to sit straight on the seat ( your left knee hits the pipe). As for the outside, there is an area among the grouping of cottages with some outdoor furniture. However, the cusions were stained and some areas had spider webs. There were cigarette butts about and no grass, but rather stepping stones in the sandy soil.
All these things are trivial and while not enjoyable, wouldn't ruin our stay. The most disturbing find was mouse droppings in the bowls and pans in the cupboard. We wondered if we weren't the only occupants of the cottage.
Maybe because this is the off-season, we just didn't see the best side of the cottages. I would try it once again, but I would stay in a different cottage. Just wanted to pass on our observance.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WineGuyFlorida
tremainstcottages, Owner at Tremain Street Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

At the Tremain Street Cottages we take our customer,s comments very seriously. We appreciate that you would share your valuable time away from home with us and we pride ourselves on our ability to accommodate our guests as our reviews clearly demonstrate. As this reviewer suggests, he would return to stay with us so we are going to facilitate that by offering a gift certificate so that we may have the opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to customer satisfaction.

Yours truly,
Tremain Street Cottages management team

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked the Hideaway for an overnight while visiting the quaint town of Mt. Dora and saved $10 just for booking online which was a plus. Mike gave us all the information to get inside our suite earlier than check in time with no problem. The cottages are in the historic district, an easy walk from the main part of town. I am an antique dealer and this place was like going back in time with bead board paneling, extra large kitchen sink with vintage lighting - you get the picture - charming and the cleanest place we have ever stayed in. While the square footage is small, we had all we needed - kitchen table and chairs, full kitchen, loveseat and a chair, TV - even a desk in a nook for your computer. They even provided coffee, cream, sugar, tea, etc. which the month-long condo we had come from did not even include. A plus were floor lamps for reading - most places think all guests do is watch TV. In the back yard, there is a very nice brick patio with wicker seating and a grill which we would have used if we were staying longer. We totally enjoyed our little hideaway.

Room Tip: This is an upstairs unit so not conducive to those who cannot navigate steep stairs.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VirginiaPeggy
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed in the Oasis cottage and were so pleased by the decor, location, privacy and ease of check-in with the incredibly helpful innkeepers. I will definitely stay with them again on my next trip to Mount Dora!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends