“Don't trick customers into double tipping especially when service is so poor!”
Review of Lakeside Inn

Lakeside Inn
Ranked #29 of 122 Restaurants in Mount Dora
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

It was the huge arts festival last Saturday so we expected long queues for the few restaurants, however, we were disappointed with the buffet of chicken, pulled pork, mac and cheese, beans and a bun for near $16 each. There was also a tray of peach cobbler that looked like it had been dropped on the way to the buffet table. One waiter was running round like crazy trying to clear tables, give out tableware and cutlery etc. a young girl was taking orders for drinks but never actually got to us before we had finished our lunch- which didn't take long considering the limited options. Ok, a manager was apologising to other complainants that she had not managed to get more staff in, (and that was poor planning given the Arts Fair was not a surprise) but what was insulting was the check included an automatic 20% tip and then when the card invoice arrived it had a space for a tip, implying none had already been added. Sneaky at best and insulting at worst given we had served ourselves for most of the visit! On a visit to the restrooms on leaving I was appalled to look up at the net curtains to see years of dust, coupled with a broken toilet seat which didn't allow the door to open beyond it. Ok times are hard but hygiene must never be compromised. Very saddened, obviously won't return.

1  Thank Karen M

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed in one of the suites over looking Lake Dora. The room was larger than the other rooms we had stayed in at the hotel. The veiw of the lake was wonderful and the large picture windows just made it very enjoyable. If you like historic places then this has your name written all over this hotel. The rockers on the front porch made a nice place to sit for drinks and watch the sun go down

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Food is average and pricing is a bit higher than you might expect, but the location is well worth it. Located in the quaint town of Mt. Dora is a classic, old time style Inn which is very clean and almost brings one back to the early 1900s. Nearby the lake, but not right ON the lake, the setting is gorgeous, laid back, and perfect for a date during a weekend afternoon and antiquing or ice cream, or an exciting boat ride across the street.

1  Thank Orlandogal307
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stopped here to have a drink and relax at the bar of this old historic hotel, located right at the lake. We had a very nice experience, sitting in an area by the working fireplace with a couple of sofas and a coffee table, making for a very "clubbish" atmosphere. However, full bar is vailable, as well as the tables in the room, should one prefer that. It was a nice way to recharge our energy for exploring more of this quaint and picuresque historic little town. Highly recommend this bar (for adults only, of course).

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Where to start :(
My husband and I had booked Christmas day meal there. We were on the 5pm sitting and when we arrived the pianist packed up and went! No Atmosphere!!!
We were spending our Christmas away from home and we thought we were in for a treat - we were left hurt and upset about the whole experience.
They were packing the tables away as we started our appetisers. The food was the dregs of what the previous sittings had - it was cold and drying up. The beef was quite simply raw and the blood soaked into the potato! it was the worst meal I have ever experienced in my life - I was nearly in tears at the experience as we wanted to feel as though we were having a nice christmas.
There was a 20% service charge yet we served ourselves. On hindsight we should have left without the bill being paid but I just wanted to get out of the miserable place. We were only there an hour - there was no entertainment for us.
Next day we went to complain - the desk clerk said she also wondered where the pianist went to and was sorry to hear about our experience and would get the manager (who is the owner to call back) she never did - we were still waiting days later so I paid another visit. same desk clerk but this time she had changed her attitude and was quite standoffish and rude.
She said the owner was ill (probably eating her own food) and was busy and hadn't had time! I said that she would have a lot of time on her hands if she treated her customers in this manner.
I told them I wanted at least the 20% service charge refunding. The desk clerk was very curt and told us that she would pass the message on................. I am still waiting!
Apparently the Lakeside Inn is under new ownership and as I am frequently residing in Mount Dora I speak to many locals and they tell me that the owner has an attitude problem, she is rude and no customer service - this was evident!!
Luckily I have convinced quite a few locals to not give them there business and they are going to pass on my story between themselves.
Word gets around in such a close knit community when all they had to do was at least call me and discuss the day.
Lakeside Inn - Mount Dora .............. don't give them your custom whatever is written on this site because the owners just want your money - nothing else! it's a sad old building with pretty disgusting staff too so why should you line their pockets! There are plenty good places in the area that value their customers........ try them instead and give this place a firm push into the Lake Mount Dora!

2  Thank JaneK114