“Romantic Birthday Getaway”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My sweetheart recently surprised me with a romantic birthday getaway at this historic, old hotel. We had a huge, semi-circular room directly overlooking Lake Dora. Sure, the lavatory faucet leaked, and the carpets were worn, but the grounds were lovely to wander in, our room had plenty of room to stow our bicycles, and we went to sleep every night with the lights of the dock and the reflection of the moon on the water twinkling before our eyes. A note in the comfortable, old lobby (where we went to relax and plug into our wi fi) indicated rennovations were in progress, and I hoped they would include being able to open the windows in our end room so that one could enjoy the sounds of the water, as well as the sights. Our booking included complimentary hot breakfasts in the grand dining room - a room faintly reminiscent of the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego, but not nearly as elegant. The choices were typical American breakfast dishes - large portions, although I thought the up charge to substitute toast for biscuits was tacky. We ate dinner in the dining room one evening and found the food and menu average and uninspiring. The hotel is situated in a great location for wandering about the town of Mt. Dora or for setting off on a bicycle to explore the area's famed cycling routes. We'd stay there again if we came back to town, basically because of the service, the location and the ambiance of the entire facility. We'd probably skip dinner at the Inn, however.

There are newer reviews for Lakeside Inn

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Loved the newly renovated restaurant. Food was delicious and the service was great. Be sure to visit their gift shop on the grounds - best local artists in the vicinity are represented.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband & I took his parents to the Lakeside Inn for Mothers Day Brunch. We had made a reservation so we were seated quickly. The tables were so close together the staff could hardly fit through to each table. The buffet food was very very good. A huge varity and plenty. We had the champange along with the food. Half way through brunch my Motherinlaw said she felt like she was slipping. A few moments later the bottom of her chair fell through & down she went. My husband jumped up & pulled her out. The staff brought her a new chair. The brunch was very very expensive. Next time we will not order the champagne. I would go back again, but not sure my husband wants to pay those prices.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We hired Lisa Morgan as our wedding coordinator and what a perfect move that was! Lisa was on top of every detail and left nothing undone. Her staff was amazing as well. we had about 100 guests and everyone of them spoke highly about our event, the food and a few of them asked me who was my wedding coordinator and I pointed Lisa out to them and they obtained her info either directly from Lisa or from myself. Lisa made me feel so relaxed during the entire day!! If you don't hire her you will have made a GI-NORMOUS mistake!! The venue was perfect - the lake is such an assest for the hotel. We had a sunset ceremony and don't have one regret about hiring Lisa or having our wedding out by the lake! Trust me HIRE LISA - you won't regret it!

Thanks Lisa for everything!!
Wendy & Rei
aka "The rapping Bride"

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I had come in for breakfast on Friday morning sense we were staying at the hotel. We had a rough night because our air conditioning had made terrible noises all night, so we just wanted to get out of the room and go get some breakfast. Our server was named Sheila and she truly made our day! She was so sweet and you could tell she really cares about the guests and the service she gives. I have been a server for 25 years and Sheila definitely knows what she is doing. We had made a few comments about our stay that night and she reassured us that management was making improvements. She also had recommended that on our next stay we ask too see our room before we check in. By the time we were finished with breakfast, Sheila had put a smile on our face!