“Neat British Tea Room In Mt. Dora”

Windsor Rose Tea Room & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 116 Restaurants in Mount Dora
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Looking for the unusual British fayre? Come in and have a meal with the Royals. We provide food, fun, beer & wine, special dinner shows, Breakfast on Sat & Sun. Closed Wednesday. Summer hours Mon, Tues, Thurs, & Fri 11:00am until 4:00pm, Sat & Sun 9:00am-4:30pm; * unless a dinner show is scheduled. We offer the best quality food, service, and atmosphere. We are known for our Scottish Salmon, Pot Roast Sunday, Bangers & Mash, and High Tea as well as everything in between.
Lutz, Florida
“Neat British Tea Room In Mt. Dora”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Mt Dora has a lot to offer. It has the old downtown, lots of shops and restaurants, the Lakeside Inn resort, the lake, and the nearby antique and flea markets, which are huge. We love tea rooms, so we usually stop by the Windsor Tea room during our frequent Mt. Dora visits. It's also a great place to take friends. The decor is obviously British, the walls are covered with pictures of the royals. Even though the ownership has changed a few times, the decor and the menu have stayed pretty much the same over the years. Most of the menu items are distinctly British and pretty good, especially when you consider that the Brits are not really famous for gourmet food or dining. We do miss the former owner, who worked the tea room floor and added a lot of charm with her humor and her thick English accent. None the less, the place has great atmosphere, is located right downtown near the shops, is generally easy to get into, and the food (and tea) is consistently good.

Mount Dora, FL
“Foul mouthed owner”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

At the request of a friend, we went to the tearoom for lunch. We were told no tables were available, althought a table set for six in front of us was empty (two 4 tops pushed together as they don't normally have that large a table). Directly after us, a [group of 6 came in and she said she could seat them immediately as the reserved table hadn't showed. Shortly three tables cleared and she offered to sit us at one next to a young woman with 5 young girls (under the age of 6 or 7). We asked for the table in back and as we passed a table for four asked it we could sit there, as several other of the same number were and she refused saying it had to be 3 or more. Our table was located near the register and in the path of everyone going back and forth to the kitchen. We ordered and asked another waitress for water which she gladly provided. Our meals were served and after 2 bites determined I could not eat the pasty as it tasted moldy and dry. I placed the dish to the aisle side of the table and not one person stopped to asked if there were a problem. When my friend was almost done with hers, I requested that the young man remove it and told him it was inedible. We asked for our check and Marsha, who identified herself as the owner, gave us our check.s I asked hher to remove my mear as I hadn't eaten it and why. her response was "it just came out of the oven". Quite possible, but how long had it been around before cooking? By the way, i had eaten the pasty before and it was quite tasty bu that may have been with the former owner. She replied, "just pay for the tea" and "you've beena [--] and had an attitude since you came in here. I don't want you to ever come back!". No problem I wouldn't take my worst enemy there. There is no excuse ever for a shop keeper to speak that way to a client, using foul language and behaving in such a despicable manner. Unfortunately, this isn't the first instance where she has demonstrated her lack of people skills. She is a disgrace to the Mount Dora dining scene.

7 Thank Joannr1636
Marsha G, Owner at Windsor Rose Tea Room & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Despite the inaccurate portrayal of this customers review she has one thing right. she has been banned by the owner from ever returning. She and a friend came on a busy Saturday during Spring Break. There was not a table and there was going to be a wait. The reviewer was not interested in coming to the Windsor to begin with and voiced her opinion that she would rather go to the bar up the street but deffered to her friend. The wait turned out to be less than five minutes. The first table that I personally cleared for her she refused to sit at because 4 children were sat at the next table and she did not want the table. Another two top became available near the rear of the restaurant and I graciously volunetered to personally clear it. The two people asked to sit at a four top after I had cleared the two top. They did not know who I was. When I told the serial complainer that the table was reserved she responded with a very sarcastic, "Of course it is". They agreed to sit at the two top. Since I suspected that the customer was difficult I decided to wait on them myself rather than pass it on to a server. This woman was extemely demanding and from the beginning was obviously not going to be pleased with anything. She demanded extras with everything. Her food choice was the pasty which is made daily with the finest ingredients by my Husband. She had no idea who I was and complained as I was seating other people that she was not getting full service. My Husband even brought her extra water for her tea. She was clearly out to get a FREE meal by complaining. She pulled our busboy by the arm and asked him to take her meal away because it was disgusting. When he brought this to my attention I returned to the table to ask her about her experience. She complained her meal was "moldy" which I explained was impossible because it was made fresh that morning and had just come out of the oven. She put up such a fuss that I put their bills, (which they had required seperate tickets) in front of them and returned to the floor to seat new customers. She asked to see me and told me she would not pay for her meal. I said she would have to pay for her tea which just infuriated her. At this time I let her know that I was the owner and that she was not welcome to return. I apologized to her friend who had no part in the misbehavior of the author of this review and welcomed her back. This is the second time she has written a bad review and tried to skate her bill. She then tried to speak to another table when I went to her side and insisted that she leave. She was obviously not interested in coming to our restaurant to begin with, is a habitual complainer looking for a FREE meal by raising her voice, making a scene and expecting to be given a complimentary meal. I did not shout at her but I let her know that she had an intolerable attitude from the minute she set foot into our establishment and she was not welcome in the future. I found out through a mutual friend that she pulled the same stunt in another restaurant and threw the food at the server and refused to pay for it. Obviously, this woman needs some serious intervention, she thinks she is better than anyone else and needs to be treated as a Diva. I had all I could take before I acknowleded who I was, I refrained from calling her what she was. I took the customer personally because I knew she was trouble and our hard working staff did not deserve that type of treatment. She left a penny as a tip and I hope she uses it to think about her behavior. No shoes, No shirt, No negative attitudes from the start, No service, we reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not appreciate all that we offer and are looking for a way to boost a FREE meal. I had already dialed the police because of the disturbance she had caused but she left before they arrived. I tried to kill her attitude with kindness,but she resorted to taking it to a level I have never gone to--I let her get the best of me, I snapped and let her know she is not welcome back. Sometimes the CUSTOMER IS NOT RIGHT! I work too hard, 7 days a week 16-20 hours a day to let her insult our restaurant, I won't have it.
“Quaint Tearoom”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We love the brunch here on Sundays. Everything on the menu is delicious and the wait staff is sweet and helpful. Love the dainty aprons they wear. We watched one of the "high tea" parties where all the guests got to wear the lovely vintage hats the owner so graciously let's them borrow. That would be a great birthday party for a little girl, or bridal shower.

Visited January 2013
DeLand, Florida
“Visitors from GB should try THIS restaurant”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have been to Britain on more than one occasion and found it difficult to find tasty food at a reasonable price. Here is a taste of Britain in Florida with accent on taste at a reasonable price. Four of us thoroughly enjoyed the food, from high! tea menu to an entree selection. Mine was Scottish Salmon Filet over Wasabi Mashed Potatoes with a garlic and roasted red pepper sauce. Delicious! Everyone else at our table enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. Our waitress was friendly, helpful, and attentive. We arrived shortly after noon hour, just on time, because the place quickly filled up. Nevertheless, we were not rushed by the wait staff in order to make room for newcomers. Neither did we abuse the patience of staff by lingering. This was our second visit and we'll likely return on our next trip to Mount Dora.

Tampa, Florida
“Delicious, quaint breakfast spot”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Food here is excellent. A nice brunch selection, mimosas, great service and even a nice craft beer selection. The service here was very good; the staff was kind and attentive. We felt welcomed and at some truly great food. The wheatberry toast is really outstanding with the fresh preserves and marmalade.

Definitely will be back.