“Mediocre at best”
Review of Black Bear Smokehouse - CLOSED

Black Bear Smokehouse
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Food was average at best. Service could've been more welcoming. We may give it another try, but I doubt it. We certainly aren't the demographic this business is catering to. With no table service and order/pick up along with the long benches in the middle it lends itself to an outdoor family feel. Nothing wrong with that, just prefer to dine in a place with more ambience. And yes, there are BBQ places with ambience and atmosphere along with great food. Blackbear is a great concept and if my children were still at home we'd certainly be dining there. Just not for me.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

This appeared to be a relatively new restaurant, but knowing how much I love BBQ, we decided to give it a try. What a pleasant surprise! The service was very friendly and informative. The pulled pork serving as well as the side orders was ample enough to allow me to take home some left-overs for dinner. These guys go to the competitive BBQ cook-offs when they have the time and apparently do quite well. You should give their (I'm not sure what they call it) "Brunswick Stew" a try while you're there. A bowl of it would certainly satisfy most, but the side I received was delicious. I'd certainly return, the next occasion I have to visit Mt. Dora.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I have heard good and bad about Black Bear, and I finally tried it on Sunday for myself. Everything I had was outstanding, from the meat to the sides to the sauces! Their brisket could win an award, it was so tasty and tender. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We have been to Black Bear now twice. On both occasions we had some of the best, moist, flavorful BBQ of any. The meats are smoked in back of the restaurant and the freshness of the lightly smoked meat is key. Nothing is frozen or reheated. I spoke with the manager and though he would not tell what wood is used he did emphasize the moistness of the meat and it importance. He knew his stuff. The sides, collards, green beans, sweet potato souffle, mac & cheese and cole slaw were all top-drawer. Ribs, Beef Brisket, Pork....all have been ordered. The only not ordered is the Chicken. That will be our next visit. There is a great selection of BBQ sauces. All worth trying. It really is good BBQ. They are opening a new location in Ocala, FL. Great atmosphere. Highly Recommended.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

The place is clean, not sure what the business was before this, but the REALLY big windows gives the place a funky look. When we walked and came up to counter to order I was thinking it wouldn't be that great (Fast food BBQ), boy was I wrong, pulled pork was cooked just right! The big sexy is a great sandwich (pulled pork) that comes with 2 sides. We got fries and beans. Beans had a really good taste and they dropped the fries and cooked them fresh! None of that heat lamp or cold fries, hot out and to your plate. They have a bunch of sauces, big map of the USA and where the sauce came from. Hot to mild, sweet, mustard, etc. Something for everyone. I'll be back the next we are in Mt Dora.