“Different but dissappointing”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Oakmere, United Kingdom
“Different but dissappointing”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was our first visit to Mount Dora which is a really beautiful unspoilt town with lots of places to eat. We had lunch at the Bavarian Haus so went for the bratwurst dinner and the frankfurters. The Brat wurst lunch was 2x sausages with Potato salad which wasn't bad but the frankfurters was disappointing 2x small sausage and a small dry piece of bread. We felt we could have got the same from a hotdog van for less money. Although it did seem to be popular, I'm not sure if a lot of the customers were visiting mount Dora and was passing trade more so than regular customers, we wouldn't go again or recommend.

• Visited November 2013

Orlando, FL
“Authentic German food and attitudes”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

3 couples went there for a Sunday afternoon. The husband (owner) was nice enough, but the wife was abrupt. The food was good and very authentic but a little bland with no sauces, mayo, ketchup or other coverings. The meat was just meat. the sandwiches came with a bizarre sampling of old iceberg lettuce, one carrot slice and fresh red cabbage (was it a salad? or something to put on your sandwich?) One person had mushroom gravy on his meat so I asked for some. A small amount came with a $2 surcharge. The atmosphere made you thin you were somewhere German (that's good0. The service was bad for US service but was what I would have joking thought German service would be ("You will order now!"). The prices were not bad except for the surcharges. Doubt we would go again, but it wasn't bad, just not good.

• Visited December 2013
Mount Dora, Florida, United States
“Old folks with Attitude!!!”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

First things first, we are seated inside (our first time here), the staff pretty much ignored us for a good five min. not even a nod, then finally after some loud chatting from us about where the server was... A man who had been sitting at the bar stool came over and the first thing that hit us was his bad body odor ugghhh!!! He started to help us with drinks and we all looked at each other as the smell hit each and everyone of us, then the older waitress of many came over to take our order. Ok so mind you we have never been here so lots of questions but the old woman was inpatient with us and by the end of the order she was yelling at us with a higher octave making us all uncomfortable and to top it off she went to another waitress talking behind our backs!!!! SURPRISE I SPEAK GERMAN ladies!!! Nasty comments about how stupid we were!!!

So here we are waiting on our food and it comes out looks ok, but to our disappointment the meat is tasteless and kind of like a chicken fried steak that comes from a frozen dinner maybe not the cooks night, as i tell them my concerns ugly looks from her the nasty waitress she goes and tells the smelly guy!!! Surprise again this guy appears to be the boss??? He comes over and I tell him the problem he argues with me about the dish and finally asks me if I don't want it he will take it away, ok cool I had one bite I don't like it so im good! LOL nope to our surprise again he does not take it off our bill!!!???

Well for the ending of this experience he argued with us further about the taste of our food and finally with some really dirty looks took it off our bill.

Please proceed with caution here if your at all going to dis like the food or if you don't mind getting mocked if your dissatisfied in the least bit!!!

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank Laura H
Ocala, FL
“Pay extra for bread?”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband and I went yesterday to The Bavarian Haus. We ordered the Schnitzel which came to our table "soaked with oil", the German Potato Salad was just like the one I buy at Cosco, for sure not German style, and the worst insult was when we requested bread and butter for the dinner and the waitress told us "Bread has an extra charge, you have to pay for it".
We will never come again, this is a Tourist Trap not a German Restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank IGVOcala_FL
Orlando, Florida
“What a great surprise!”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I decided to try The Bavarian Haus before the Light Up Mount Dora event and we are glad we did. The service was impeccable and the food was delicious. We had the Pork Chop and the Bratwurst, both of which were tender & tasty. The German potato salad was also great. We ended up the meal with the black forest cake, which was moist and didn't have an overwhelming chocolate taste (which was good!) We will certainly be back next time we visit the wonderful little town of Mount Dora!

To top it all off, we saw Santa Claus in shorts! Even he is a snowbird to Florida....

• Visited November 2013