“Couldn't have been better”

Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 11 Mount Dora B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I was traveling by motorcycle around Florida on spring break and stopped in central Florida to visit friends. Since I was by myself, safety was of utmost importance to me. I spent two nights at Heron Cay and I felt like I was at home both nights.

Margie and Randy have a beautiful place. The yard was beautiful. I spent a lot of time sitting out by the pool, drenched in the glorious sun and enjoying the scenery. My room was beautiful and comfortable.

I mentioned that a friend was stopping by to say hey and they insisted she join us for breakfast. I was made to feel so welcome. The dogs and kitties were an added treat. I loved every minute. Thanks to you both for welcoming me to Mt Dora and making me and my motorcycle feel safe.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Kelly W

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Orwellian Bed and Lunch.
My wife surprised me with a wonderful weekend trip to Mount Dora for my BD. We love to travel and have been in a number of B&B's. Heron Cay looked great on the internet site and she agreed to pay the premium price. We were truly mortified by the experience. On arrival we were given the “good news” that we got upgraded to a larger pet friendly room at no additional charge. However, Margie advised us that their four Russian Hound “pack” of dogs did not like pets. To get to our room we had to use the garage, a stinky, dilapidated fire hazard maze from an Edgar Alan Poe horror movie. In the best style of a Jeff Foxworthy joke, there were two junk boats, a junk VW Rabbit and a junk 70's motorhome full of crap by the garage. The wrap around porch has seen better days. Mold everywhere and broken miniature train cars spread out. I cannot make this up, really.

Our room was cold. There was no thermostat in the room, we were tired and thinking the furnace will kick in anytime. We bundled up but I woke up freezing at 3AM and found the thermostat downstairs set to 60º, so I set it to 70º to wake up frozen again at 8:00 AM. Thermostat back to 60. There was a “pseudo” king bed made up of two twin mattresses put together, very uncomfortable. Shower curtain fell off twice. Towels were old and ragged, they belong in a carwash, not an upscale B&B. As I later found out, they claim to be eco-friendly but those dispensers and soap that do not meet any hotel or sanitary standards. The “updated” TV was a garage sale junk from the 90's sitting on top of an armoir next to a broken TV. The dining room was gaudy and cluttered. We were told that the fireplaces were not working because “gas was too expensive and utilities run high” however, Saturday morning was their Google photo shooting, and they used a fire log to set the stage for the pics.

Food handling may need to be evaluated by the county health department. I doubt minimal sanitary standards are being met. They have four large Russian Hound dogs and two cats roaming in the kitchen where our breakfast was prepared. The kitchen was Dantesque, and matched the garage and the side yard. Crowded with papers, books, old printers and computers, there sat the grimy stove and cooking area. The wondering hounds perfectly matched the stage and added to the décor. Cooking did not get started until after nine and was not ready until about eleven both days. Thus, they should really call themselves a “Bed and Lunch.” Our first cup of orange juice was fermented and quickly replaced with fresh one. We wanted breakfast not lunch and I do not want to be told that the “stores don't open till late anyways.” Not that the inn was overwhelmed with patrons, we were four couples on day one and two the next day, couple number three left before “blunch.” There pool was dirty and green, not a pool or hot tub I would ever set foot in! The cushions on the patio chairs were disgusting.

At first, we felt that maybe the place was just too big for this elderly couple and felt sorry for them, but by looking at previous reviews going back years, there is a common theme here and the owners just keep on blaming customers. These keepers are hoarders and I am not sure what excuse they'll use to save face this time. We are not “lawyers” or “bikers”, we did not use an “expired gift certificate”, my “parents did not pay for our stay” We paid up front, we left on time and we were did not complain, we did thank for the upgrade and the birthday cupcake.

Mount Dora is a gem and there are much better places to spend the night for a lot less money with better sanitary conditions and better service than this dump.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Daniel G
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had the pleasure to stay at Heron Cay on 12/26 & 12/27 and will look forward to going back soon. This B&B came highly recommended by a friend and we were glad it did. Margie and Randy we're friendly hosts and the home was quaint and cozy. Be sure to check this place out when traveling to Mount Dora. Tim and Brenda, WPB, FL

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Timinwpb
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently for my birthday weekend in mid October … It could not have been lovelier! We choose the beautiful and charming corner room on the 2nd floor, with the comfortable 4 poster bed. Staying at this charming and hospitable bed and breakfast was a big part of what made this birthday weekend so special.This was our 1st visit to Mt. Dora, and we loved it. Margie and Randy are friendly and classy people who go out of their way to make your stay delightful..from their large and delicious breakfast buffett to the lovely surroundings and amenities.We found our room and the entire hotel to be Very Clean and odor free as well, an important point to us.
While in Mt. Dora, we visited at least 4 other top rated bed and breakfasts, and while some were very nice, hands down, in CHARM, location and price, we were happy to be staying, in our opinion, at the # 1 B & B in town.
This lovely bed and breakfast is Victorian in style both inside and out, decorated with antiques and collectibles that are most interesting for those like ourselves who enjoy that. I do NOT understand those few negative reviews that we have seen. We consider ourselves very picky people about lodging, food and atmosphere, and have nothing negative at all to say. EXCELLENT is our description of the Heron Cay Bed and Breakfast experience. We highly recommend them to our friends and family.

Susan & Steven Cohen
Boca Raton, Florida

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chefman3316
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed at this B&B for a friend's wedding that was held on the grounds. The house is impressive when you drive up..but upon closer look..it needs a little quality time with a powerwash..the side of the house is green with mildew & the porch is covered with spider webs (although it was Halloween time I don't think this was intentional). Also the interior decor is very cluttered & leaves your eyes feeling overwhelmed. Our room was spacious & clean..but we were disappointed to find the bed was like sleeping on a rock (and I tend to prefer more firm mattresses, but honestly the floor may have been softer). Additionally we had a gas fireplace in our room that we were excited to use since the evening was chilly..only to find out it was broken.
I love that they have dogs (hope you like big Irish Wolfhounds) and cats which makes it feel homey, and the breakfast was also tasty..and the other upside is that it was walking distance to the shops & cafes downtown, buut this place definitely could use some improvements.
Also, there really isn't a "lake view" since you're across the street from it...just as an FYI.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Niki W
heroncay, Owner at Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

I am glad to hear that these guests appreciate our cats and Russian Wolfhounds, and that they enjoyed the breakfast and our convenient location. The wedding they attended was a very interesting Halloween Theme and lots of fun. I think their major complaint stems from the fact that we do not put logs in the fireplaces, which are not gas operated, while it is still necessary to keep the air conditioning blasting to keep most guests comfortable. On nearly 10,000 sq ft you may find very little green on the dusty blue exterior, as for spider webs, they can appear in minutes and the wedding host & hostess made a special request to keep the rustic appearance in keeping with their theme.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

A mere 60 minutes north of Orlando is a beautiful little town with quaint shops, wonderful restaurants, and at least one stellar B&B. I don't know what the unhappy reviewers were expecting from a B&B. This isn't an old house with some nice bedclothes, it was built to be a B&B in the mid 1990's. The rooms are more like suites than the many small B&B's we've stayed in. Yes, the owners own and love 4 wonderful Russian Wolfhounds, and several cats. If you can't tolerate animals, stay away. Go to some sterile modern hotel. Our room was delightful, the towels were fine, and the pool was clean and relaxing. Breakfast here is a sophisticated brunch-style meal that lasts awhile. Come here to relax. If you want some rubber eggs at 0700 before you rush out the door, this isn't for you.

This would be a perfect prelude to a Disney Vacation or a honeymoon with the mouse. Do yourself a favor and find some peace before or after you visit the hustle-bustle of Orlando. We did, and we'll be back.

Room Tip: The third floor suite has the best view of the lake, but all the rooms (available to see as long as...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CDBLeola
Reviewed October 22, 2013

After much consideration I have decided to do this review simply for the poor possible other suckers that didn't read these reviews. I did and decided to stay here anyways because of the pool. Boy was I wrong and left after the first night. When I arrived she wanted to my credit card right away so she could charge the 2nd night stay. I already paid for the first night stay 2 months prior. I now see why she did that. The pool was green with yellow mustard algae. The house is blue but can't tell with all of the green mold on it. The towels I wouldn't have wiped my dog down with them. I am not quite sure if they changed the sheets from the previous guest...but the icing on the cake was horrendous smell that came into my room at 7:30 PM and never left. They decided to cook either sauerkraut or cauliflower when they had a guest staying in the room right next to the kitchen. I don't make a habit of being unkind or not happy but I was so upset with the unwelcoming atmosphere and the lack of TLC that this property needs that I demanded my money back for the 2nd night and I left. All of the bad reviews this property has received I experienced and told her to read and fix these things or get out of the business. I left with her very amicably BUT when she told her husband he came after me and started yelling and called me a b.t c h. That's when all bets were off and I decided to tell the truth here. Keeping a B&B is hard work and you have to love it and the people you are welcoming. These people clearly do not. Also beware....her comments to these reviews are a bunch of huey. I ended up staying at a real B&B in the same town and they were wonderful to me and my dog. Go to Cinnamon Inn. Save yourself some anguish.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank HFgirl

After nearly 20 years of innkeeping, this is the first time I’ve been told what I may prepare for dinner. Clean sheets / towels daily go without saying. It is unfortunate that amongst the numerous raves we get, now and then there is an unhappy guest who likes to yield their little bit of power of exaggeration to cause us grief. The hundreds who visit us each year are happy and rave about what we offer; we want to thank those who tell others, but do not coerce them into writing a review / try walking to town from Cinnamon Inn. This guest started yelling and using profanity and received a like response, then she decided to use the power of the pen and get revenge. On nearly 10,000 sq ft you may find very little green on the dusty blue exterior, however, most don’t even notice because they are enjoying all of the beautiful landscaping and interesting furnishings.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Dora
#4 of 11 in Mount Dora
Maison en Ville
Maison en Ville
#7 of 11 in Mount Dora

Been to Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!