“Girls weekend”

Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 11 Mount Dora B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is my third time to stay at Heron Cay. Of all the B&B's I've stayed at, this one is my favorite. Marge, Randy and there furry friends are the best and very accommodating. The food is the best also. Love the fried poached eggs & the fresh cooked bread. This time there was an added treat. Fresh from their garden, Mango's and pineapple. Yum, Yum. Their home (which it is) is beautiful, relaxing and a great place for a long weekend get-away. We've learned so much about Highway Men paintings from them also. Now I have three and my friend has five. We plan trips at least twice a year for girls birthday weekends and this is the place to celebrate. Nice pool to relax by too. Thank you both for our most recent weekend trip and trips from the past too!
Penny, Joyce, Debbie and Sue

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The good: Spacious room with robe, great lake view, fairly comfortable bed, fireplace, generous breakfast.
The bad: Several dogs and cats in kitchen around food, when asked if we had any dietary restrictions or allergies and we told them specifically yes and explained what they were, the next morning we awoke to find that the breakfast did indeed contain what I am deadly allergic too. No apologies made except Margie saying in a nonchalant demeanor "can't you pick them out?" You cannot get ruder or more considerate than that.
We noticed a pool when we looked out the window but no invitation to go out there to use it so we assumed it's their own private yard and pool? The sheets and linens have seen better days and the shampoo and soaps were in a pump re-fill bottle - totally unsanitary.
The front porch furniture was cob-webbed and only there for show it seems so we didn't sit outside either. No snacks, no complimentary soft-drinks, no wine-cheese hour. Owners have no interest in getting to know guests and Margie just seems tired and put out by everyone and everything.
The biggest clincher is the fact that Margie holds back the bigger nicer suites until the moments before booking hoping to get top dollar or hoping to save them for special guests. We called initially to see if suites were available and she said no, only to find out they did indeed have a suite empty when we checked in which she was willing to discount to another couple. Her pricing on her website is way off. She will sell rooms at different prices depending on her mood and who she likes.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Private I
heroncay, Owner at Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

I thank these guests for the positive comments, ‘Spacious room with robe, great lake view, fairly comfortable bed, fireplace, generous breakfast.’ Apparently they didn’t read our Greetings in our ‘Welcome Book,’ I am totally baffled by their complaints: no invitation to use the pool ! Just walk out into the garden thru the unlocked back doors and enjoy the pool and patio. . . Unsanitary pump re-fill bottle ? Guess they did not notice the small complimentary guest soaps and shampoos provided in every room. How more eco-friendly can we be, (should we use bars of soap and throw them away each day). coffee, hot tea & chocolate, small candies & munchies are always available as well as bottled water in their personal refrig. Best of all . . . why on earth would I not rent a higher priced room if requested, and save it for a future ‘maybe.’ Pricing on website is accurate, however, we do discount from time to time if we want to stimulate business. Food is prepared fresh for each meal in our kitchen / this is our home and our dogs and cats pass thru, they are not present during cooking. Breakfast always consists of fresh coffee, juice, sweet breads, lots of fresh fruit and always at least two different egg choices (one without mushrooms). Most guests appreciate the complicated breakfast buffet we offer and do not expect a specific meal for each and every guest.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I have stayed at Heron Cay several times and it is always an enjoyable experience. I stayed in several of the rooms and they have all been extremely comfortable, clean, and quiet. The views from any of the rooms are pleasant but the lake views are lovely. The rooms all have many amenities including robes, extra blankets, hair dryer, iron, ironing board and very comfortable beds. The rooms are very quiet and you will get a great nights rest.
The breakfasts are sumptuous. Forget about calories and enjoy the great egg dishes, strata's, breads, fresh fruit and juice from the orange trees in the backyard.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Recently my niece graduated from college and we decided to have a celebratory weekend at Heron Cay in Mt. Dora since it was between her school and where she was living after graduation. My family and I booked the 2 third floor bedrooms for the weekend. We were pleasantly surprised at the size and furnishings in the rooms. Most B&B rooms can best be described as "quaint" (read: small). These were huge! My room had a main room with very comfortable queen size bed, a separate sitting/living room area with pull out sofa, a small alcove by the window with more seating overlooking the lake, a nice sized closet and a bathroom with small fridge that was regularly stocked with water bottles.
My sister and niece's room was even larger with a queen bed in the main room, a double bed across the room and a separate sitting/entertaintment area that over looked the lake with a pull out sofa, as well as a bathroom with mini fridge. Both rooms were nicely furnished with antiques, but not cluttered at all.
The inn itself is beautiful. The grounds are beautifully kept by the owner, Margie. They have some very sweet Borzoi's that they keep out of the guest's way, but you are welcome to visit if you are a dog lover. Their affection for these pets are displayed throughout the common areas of the inn in their collectibles.
On our first morning there, we had booked the inn to have a brunch for my niece and some family members. The food, in a word, was amazing. For the vegans in our group, they had a vegetarian egg casserole/strata(?) with a mix of fresh vegetables, an enormous fruit plate and fresh made banana bread. For us meat lovers, they had a mushroom and bacon casserole and a plate of bacon. Not to mention, coffee, tea, fresh squeezed orange juice, mimosas and bloody marys. Everyone could not stop talking about the food for the rest of the weekend. I am currently trying to get recipes from them for myself:-)
Sunday morning, we had the regular breakfast with the rest of the B&B guests and it was equally delicious. Yes, it is served a little later than some B&B's do, BUT, I personally liked that. I hate going away to relax, only to have to get up early and rush to get ready so I don't miss breakfast. I want to be able to sleep in a little and then get up and have a nice breakfast at a reasonable time (9am). For early birds, they had out coffee, tea, juice, fruit and banana bread. But try to stick around for the full breakfast. It's totally worth it.
So, I highly recommend the Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast. Definitely one of the nicer B&B's that I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Both top floor rooms were large and had great views of the lake.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank sflmom111
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Although it needs a little work on the outside it is easily over looked once you step inside.. We stayed in the Zoe Garden room which is one of the pet friendly rooms. We had a nice deck overlooking the landscaped back yard and pool. The innkeepers are very sweet and great cooks.
The breakfast were great even on the day when we were the only ones there they made a full breakfast for us. The town of mount dora is quint but has a lot of good places to eat.

Room Tip: If you have a pet ask for the garden room also higher rooms have better view of lake.. Don't ha...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Other reviewers are right; this B&B is a clutter-hater's nightmare, and breakfast arrived so slowly I lost my appetite. The location is good, and the water was hot, but I would happily have traded any number of borzoi figurines (and paintings, and stuffed toys, and prints and salts & peppers) for ironed sheets, newish towels and door keys that worked. It's 4 star rating is a mystery.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank Carrie B

So sorry that these Britts could not slow down and smell the jasmine during their visit to America and appreciate our collections of American Treasures. Our breakfasts are more of a brunch, preferred by many of our guests so that they can ‘sleep in’ while on vacation. Ironed sheets . . . they should have gone to The Ritz, not my home. Our keys work for all other guests.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I recently stayed at this B&B with my elderly father. I reserved a pet friendly room because I did not feel my father could climb the staircase in the main house. The owner, Margie opened up our room and I immediately smelled a STRONG odor of pet urine. It made me sick to think I paid so much money for a room that reeked of pee. I cut my visit down from 2 nights to 1 night and returned home to West Palm Beach. I later wrote the owner an email stating how disappointed I was in the room but she never wrote or called me back. The least she can have done was send me an apology since I had to forfeit the second nights room rent. It was a very long night and the odor made me sick. Can't sleep in a room that stinks. Never going back.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a pet friendly room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
#4 of 11 in Mount Dora
Maison en Ville
Maison en Ville
#7 of 11 in Mount Dora

Been to Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!