“wonderful”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2012

we loved our dinners at the saucy spoon for our 48th wedding anniversary. It was romantic and relaxing. the food was out of this world and large portions too. The steak was perfect in every way and the chicken dish was out of this world. And oh my, the bread station with dipping oils was fantastic. We'll be back!

1  Thank suzanne k
There are newer reviews for Saucy Spoon

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Tired after a long Sunday, we walked (2 minutes) over to the Saucy Spoon from the Lakeside Inn. They offered a salad bar with entree, which was delicious. The braised Napa cabbage with bleu cheese was wonderful, as was the Artisan salad. I ordered the Ribeye, which had great flavor, but the cut was at least half fat. At least. My friend had the "build a burger" and was quite satisfied. Service was just a bit too rushed.

1  Thank Eve14
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Beautiful restaurant, but small menu and over-priced. Although the shrimp and grits were very good, our chicken dish was completely overcooked and dried out. And the bread on the bread bar needs to be changed out more often...it was dry and beginning to get stale. We don't mind paying high prices if the food is worth it, but this was not1

2  Thank Iris G
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I spent a rare date night at this highly regarded Mount Dora restaurant last night. It was our first visit to its new location which is now very close to the heat of this quaint town.

We began our experience yesterday was when I called for a reservation and was told the "latest" I could get was 6. I knew there was an event in town that day and wasn't surprised that they'd be booked. But it was still a bit early of a reservation for us so I called back to ask if they'd have open seating as well. We were willing to wait for a table and enjoy a glass of wine. Another woman answered and was shocked by what I had been told earlier. She said it was no problem and to come when we wanted. That was good.
We arrived about 6:45 and, surprisingly, the place was empty. We wanted to sit outside and was directed to the side patio which adjoins a wine bar that had live music. Too loud, so we opted for the front. A classic car show was going on which wasn't too bad until a guy in his convertible started revving his engine.

Our server was pleasant enough but he couldn't explain the two menu prices for the salads which we wanted to share. He tried to show us the different portion sizes but he was off when he brought the Caesar to the table.

We loved Saucy's bread and cheese bar at the old location. It was decorated beautifully in the middle of the room and there were always unique cheeses to try. Now it's just a bread bar. They offered artisan bread and pretzel rolls with ingredients for dipping oils...and olives. The pretzel bread had been frozen. It was cold and had the freezer taste. We asked for more warmed up.

The waiter did apologize when he brought our entrees out before I had finished the salad. Way too soon.

My husband ordered the special: Beer-fried catfish. It was delicious and he finished it off with the cheese grits it came with. I ordered the shrimp and grits. The portion was very generous and it was good. The chipotle seasoning was just a touch too strong for me but I did enjoy it.

I think my expectations were too high from our previous meals here. We had designated it a place for "special" occasions. While the food was good, it just doesn't seem special anymore.

2  Thank NAPSchwartz
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

We had called to make a reservation for 7 PM only to be advised that a very large party was coming in at 7 PM and was requested to come in earlier. No very large party showed up and as a matter of fact there were a total of 6 diners there when we left.
The spinach gratin needs to be greatly improved. Too much mornay sauce. Overflowing with the sauce. Too salty due to putting too much Feta cheese. Definitely not a good choice. The garlic mashed potatoes were served in a ramekin and they were red bliss smashed potatoes. The salmon "encroute" was dry and too much herbs on it. Couldn't taste the salmon. When we asked for a grey goose on the rocks they had informed us that they were out of that brand and could only offer absolut vodka. To add insult to injury the tab came to over $140.00. Definitely overpriced and definitely a restaurant you need to miss.

1  Thank DB-1945