“My Long Wonderful Stay...”

1872 John Denham House
Ranked #2 of 4 Monticello B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My stay at John Denham House was my home away from home. I was on long extended stay for a work assignment in Monticello. Pat and Carol were gracious and kind. I felt like I was part of the family. They listened to my stories and told me stories of their own. The home is truly a historic home and I appreciated the home for its charm and history. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. During my stay I never heard any of the other guest in their rooms. The bed was comfortable and had plenty of pillows :). I would recommend this B&B to all my friends and family traveling through the town of Monticello! Pat and Carol are more than happy to offer suggestions of activities or great food establishments in and around Monticello..Just ask :)

Room Tip: All of the rooms are unique. If you are looking for a claw foot tub you need to reserve the Camillia...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
PatriciaI, Owner at 1872 John Denham House, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

You definitely a joy to have here and we think of you often! Thanks for writing the review. Pat

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We chose John Denham House for a B & B break on a prolonged trip through the USA. We wanted to stay somewhere other than a hotel for the days of Christmas. We arrived at the home on Christmas Eve earlier than expected but were able to access our rooms and settle with help from Carol. Pat Inmon was so kind to include us in a Christmas Eve gathering with family and friends. She also sorted out reservations for Christmas lunch the next day in Tallahassee. Bedrooms were spacious and were appointed well with a period feel. Beds were very comfortable and linen clean.

Wi-fi access was an issue in the bedrooms but worked well in the downstairs lounge.

Breakfast items were plentiful and varied from day to day and it was great to have a chat with Pat during the breakfast time.

We returned for another night on our way to New Orleans in January and had the same thoughtful and friendly service from Pat.

On our first visit we reported an issue with the toilet seat in one of the rooms and on our return visit this had been fixed.

Room Tip: My wife and I stayed in the Magnolia Room and our adult daughter was in the Camellia Room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

We will never forget you and your family. It will be a Christmas that will stay in our memories. I only wish all the best for you. Thanks so much. Pat

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was always told not to complain if you can't make constructive advise. The homes bones were amazing but lacked attention. Peeling paint in the Honeymoon Suite, shutters loose and need of repair, the bathroom was in need of a little T.L.C. Ok a lot of T.L.C. The old clawfoot tub was charming however the clothspins holding the shower curtain was a bit tacky. I agree with the other review on communal toiletries. I also passed. I grew up in an old home so I am aware of the plumbling challenges however plan on flushing the toilet at least 20 times if you go number one, we were on flush 27 after number two and then we just gave up.
The sheets were amazing quality but the dust ruffle was saftety pinned to a tattered and ripped boxspring. To be as gentle as I can the dust ruffle had seen better days it was stained and and dirty. Time for a new one. The bedframe was too small for the kingsize bed so when we set our suitcase on the end of the bed it catapolted my purse across the room which was at the head of the bed. You might need to take a dramamine if you get motion sickness. The breakfast was simple but good and very generous. The employee that served breakfast was gracious and gave wonderful service.
In a nutshell, update the plumbing spend a few bucks on some linens and a bedframe and spuce up a bit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea J
PatriciaI, Owner at 1872 John Denham House, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

This very popular suite has been booked almost constantly since summer. We will be performing full maintenance this month. Supplies and parts had already been ordered. We have been unable to paint due to subjecting guests to paint smell - will have openings this week to perforrm this task.
Duly noted: 1. The new bed frame is not working for a California King like the salesman said.
2. The plumber who fixed the toilet last week will be called back in....
This is a historic property and is supposed to feel like a step back in time but the actual fixtures and bedding were put in new. Thanks for the review. Pat

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was our first experience with a B & B! When we arrived we parked on the side of the house. Ms Pat asked us to come in the front door so we could experience the house as it should be. We were entranced as we stepped into the foyer. What a delight of wonderful furnishings. Our room was The Camelia Room which was furnished with a four poster queen bed, period rugs a loverly armoir and dresser. The bathroom had a huge claw foot bathtub and piles of wonderful fluffy towels. Unfortunately no ghosts appeared! Breakfast was delicious and the coffee and tea nice and hot. We loved our first experience with a B & B and would reccommend John Denham-Lacy B & B to all!

Room Tip: Our room was sufficient for three people. Right across the hall was the "Bridal Suite" wh...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the great review. Pat

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Pat was the gracious host in one of the most beautiful B&Bs in my experience. Gorgeous rooms, Extremely clean, Great breakfast, Beautiful grounds, and friendly ghosts. It's a great place to stay for a football game at Florida State or to experience the charm of Monticello.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thanks so much for the great review - we enjoyed serving you. Pat

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was perhaps the quietist hotel stay I have ever had! The house is not on the main road, and there is not much happening in Monticello. The house is surrounded by a jungle of Spanish Moss, Live Oaks, and Saw Palmetto. It's very beautiful, wild, and secluded. Ms. Pat was very hospitable, and the breakfast was EXCELLENT! There was even homemade pear jam from the pear tree in the backyard of the lady who does the cooking. The sheets in the bed were luxurious, and the A/C was very effective (not always true for 140 year old houses). We enjoyed our tour of the house and our restful stay.

Room Tip: The Magnolia room is upstairs in the rear of the house. I think it's above Pat Inman's quar...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
PatriciaI, Owner at 1872 John Denham House, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thanks taking the time to do the review! My room is at the back of the house - not under the Magnolia Suite. It was wonderful having you stay.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I went to this B&B for our 34th anniversary! We had a wonderful experiance, though staying only one night. We arrived to check in at 3pm and was greeted by Carol on the front porch. She works for Ms Inman and was a lovely hostess for our time there. She immediatly showed us around downstairs to the dining and parlor rooms decorated gorgeously with antique pieces. She showed us to the Gold Room where we were staying. The Gold Room was beautiful with a king bed featuring a pillow top mattress. A couch, antique rocking chair, desk with chair, and a flat screen TV (small) complimented the room. The bathroom was large with a clawfoot tub/ shower combination, a makeup table and chair and all the bathroom supplies needed. We were given a room key and a front door key. We were also give access to the unique cupala (rounded lookout on top of 2nd floor). My wife and I took the narrow stairs up to the cupala and there sat a lone rocking chair. We had a 360 degree view of all the area around us, though the trees being in full greenery blocked most of our view. Our breakfast the next morning was delicious. It consisted of Scambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and a fruit compote consisting of cantelope, honey dew melon, and honey. Orange juice and coffee completed our meal. Carol waited on us hand and foot and even had us a small table reserved since it was our anniversary. We would enjoy a return trip here. On this Labor Day weekend all the antique stores and most of the resturants were closed. Beautiful moss draped oak trees and a restored domed courthouse and some other beautiful homes adorn this little town.

Room Tip: The gold room was on the front corner of the house and had three large windows with lined lace drape...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the great, detailed review! I couldn't have done better myself. Come see us again - I will put two rockers in the cupola. lol Carol and Pat

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
The Daffodale House
5 mi away
Super 8 Monticello
Super 8 Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello

Been to 1872 John Denham House? Share your experiences!