New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Miramar
Omaha, Nebraska
“Going the Extra Mile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

The Residence Inn in Miramar is an excellent choice for families, couples, or even just single travelers who want a more apartment like hotel room. For families, opting for the one bedroom suite is a great way to have just a tiny bit of separation. You get the bedroom, the kids get the couch. Not to mention the mini-kitchen (full refrigerator, dishwasher, and a two burner stove) that lets you save money while you are out on the road.

If you are staying here, you probably are already renting a car, or drove your own. There are plenty of nice places to eat within a 2 mile radius, including a higher end mall just down the street from the hotel.

The rooms are nicely appointed. This isn't a new hotel, so none of the appliances, furniture, etc... are new either. But that doesn't matter, because they are still in great shape.

The pool and surrounding areas looked very nice. The hotel even includes a grill for you to BBQ on. Nice touch.

My stay started off a bit rocky, as some of the requests I had made during my online reservations were not taken care of before I arrived. As soon as I mentioned my disappointment, the hotel staff went out of their way to accommodate my troubles. I was very impressed by this effort. WAY above and beyond what was necessary, but very appreciated.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Similar to other Residence Inns, but this one was not as quiet. Adequate but fewer kitchen amenities. Good breakfast buffet. Two computers in lobby.
Need a car. Not much close by.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed at this Residence Inn overnight as we were taking a cruise out of Port Everglades the next morning. We wanted something reasonably priced and we found this gem. Although the hotel appears older, everything was very well kept and clean. The rooms are so spacious, with a kitchenette, sitting area and separate bedroom(s). We chose the one bedroom suite which was just fine for a one night or multiple night stay. Bathrooms are large with a separate sink/vanity. Free breakfast buffet each morning with the usual fair, waffles, bagels, cereals, etc. I have to give kudos to the hostess. She did a great job, keeping everything stocked, considering how busy it was. There is plenty of seating in the buffet area.
Only drawback I could see was the parking lot was not very well lit, possibly due to ambiance. I was concerned about being on the first floor, but the young lady checking us in moved us to the second floor quickly when I requested it. Found out later that there is on-site security at the entry doors from the parking lot. I would definitely stay there again and regret not staying for more than a stopover the first time. 15 minutes to the airport, cruise ships, shopping and dining. Each of the staff that we encountered was friendly and professional and eager to assist.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ladyblue90
Norcross, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

On a positive note, the front desk staff was friendly and as accomodating as they were able to be. However, the overall condition of most of the hotel was unappealing with a very run-down look and general housekeeping was very lacking.

While the lobby is fresh and appealing, once you cross the threshold into the area where the guest rooms are (an adjacent building) your the positive first impression is quickly forgotten. You are immediately accosted with the pungent smell of laundry soap. While I recognize this should not be unusual since the laundry is clearly on the main floor, the smell is really quite overwhelming as if you are being suffocated with overly perfumey soap.

Next, we arrived in our room. I was traveling with my mother and husband. We were in a studio and so we gave the bed to my mom and we took the sofa bed. When I asked for an extra blanket for my mom all that they could manage was an extra sheet. I was told they were sold out. Also, we discovered a stain on the matress of the sofa bed- yuck! and there was trash behind the couch. A full kitchen is nice but not so much when you find glasses in the cabinet that haven't been cleaned! How hard could it be, there is also a dishwasher!!

Ironically, although the main floor hallway smelled of soap, the carpets (in the hallways) looked as if they had not been cleaned in months or even years.

We arrived the night before a family wedding which was taking place the next day in early evening. We made plans to meet some family members for lunch and then returned to the hotel to quickly get ready. I specified in the morning when our room was made up we needed at least 4 bath towels. Upon our return from lunch when we intended to shower and ready ourselves for the wedding, only 2 bath towels had been left, and on a time crunch we had to make due and improvise with those and the hand towels.

I have stayed at many Residence Inns and am rarely disappointed with a Marriott property but this was really a pitiful experience.

While the front desk agent did give me some extra points on account of my inconveniences, the bottom line is that the hotel is very ill-prepared for guests. Having clean hallways, clean rooms (including the glasses, etc. in the kitchen when a full kitchen is provided), responding to requests for extra towels, and having a supply of extra blankets are just basic things. It is hard to understand how these could be so overlooked.

My advice to you is to definitely overlook this property and see what else is around. It suited our purpose but I certainly would not go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank PeachTraveler
guestsnumberonefan, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale SW/Miramar, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
I'm very sorry we failed you from a customer service perspective. We have taken your comments into consideration and use them to continue in our efforts in providing our team with the training necessary to overcome these challenges. Please feel free to contact me directly or via email at cristina.andujar@whitelodging.com. We want our guests to have the best stay ever at our Residence Inn by Marriott. Thanks for your feedback!
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I've stayed in a lot of RI over the years and while this one is in a relatively convenient location, nearby Starbucks, Publix, banks, business park, etc., it is in need of some "spiffing up". My biggest issue w/ any hotel is that you expect the basics to be there, safety, clean room, fully functioning facilities, etc. That is ground zero...well my shower had no (OK, a little) flow of hot water...finding this out late in the evening after a long day is not too fun, but it was passable. I also found that the gym was in poor condition and really could use some new equipment. Finally, while I know the hotel can't pick and choose who stays there, there were some folks who just seemed a bit out of place for a business hotel. I will say that the staff responded quickly to my issues and gave me a generous MR bonus for the issues I had. So net-net, I don't think I'd return to the hotel based on the facilities unless it got a major upgrade...there is a Courtyard just down the block, so that might be a possibility.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I have just checked in today. After the predominantly rave reviews on TA, I was really excited when I secured it through Priceline last night (we were already in the area visiting family). When we pulled up, the first thing we saw was 2 police cars parked in front of the doorway. My husband and I looked at each but remained optimistic.

Next, I check in and I immediatley ask for the business center b/c my husband had to be on business call in 20 minutes. This was a majorly important aspect of our booking as my husband and I both need to make some work calls during our stay and as we have a toddler with us, we can't work in our room. The business center, as advertised and in pictures, was listed as "full service" business center. I confirmed this before proceeding with my Priceline bid as I knew RI was a possible win and again, the business center aspect of a hotel was crucial.

But this was actually just 2 computers in the corner of the lobby next to the blaring TV. This was not a place where anyone could make business calls or hold meetings. I indicated my concern and the discrepancy from what was advertised. I asked if there was a place nearby conducive for business calls. They didn't know of one. I asked if I could pay to upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite so we could have a room for these calls. I was told that I could not. I could call Priceline to see if they would cancel my reservation and refund me and then book directly with RI for double the price. Or I could cancel my reservation and leave. These were my options. She was not particularly nice or empathetic. From the moment I walked in, I did not feel the amazing customer service I read about at all.

So even though I know Priceline's policies, I sat down in the lobby with my toddler to call (because my husband was now up in the room on a conference call). As I was preparing for my call, 2 cops came from the residence building with a woman in handcuffs and escorted her out of the buidling! Seriously? Now I want to cry because not only is this not going well, but now I'm wondering if this place is even safe?

So I call Priceline and as expected, they wouldn't help upgrade the room or move me to another hotel. They did agree to cancel my reservation. I said I'd get back to them; I certainly can't cancel without booking another hotel first.

I went back to the front desk and asked for the manager to try again. I explained my situation (though I heard him being briefed on my story in the back before he came out to talk to me). He let me tell my story although he already knew what he was going to say - we have no 1 Bedroom suites, we are fully booked. Ok. And yet, 20 minutes ago I had the option of canceling Priceline and rebooking through RI for 199/night to get a 1BR? Okay.

He said he would be happy to cancel my reservatoin and let me go. Wow, they seem really excited to just have me leave. They kept stressing, "we will gladly cancel your reservation and you can go." Perhaps because of the Priceline reduced rate I booked under they want me out? Or is this what they say to everyone? I really don't know. I've never seen such apathetic "customer service" at a hotel. It sucks to be treated like that.

*******

In the spirit of general info for TA reviews, I'll digress for a second and provide other notes and observations so far:

*Room is on the smaller side but okay.
*Full kitchnette with full fridge and even a stove top is nice. Good for families and long stays.
*I haven't seen the pool or gym yet.
*Bed is just a queen bed which was unexpected.Not the end of th world, but dissapointing. We have a toddler who has recently transitioned from a crib, so in recent hotel stays she's slept with us in a king. if we stay, we will have to cram into this queen bed.
*There are two buildings. I go thru a small "courtyard/alley" to go to the residence buidling where my room is. Today is cold so it's a pain but I'm sure it's usually fine.
*Overall, it looks a little rundown and while not dirty, it's not spotless (the bathroom feels a little icky) and def not as clean or as nice as some 2.5 stars in the area. And this is a 3 star.
*This is VERY OVERPRICED for the condition of the hotel.
**********

So moving forward I will either leave today or have to stick it out if I can't find anything else for a decent rate and see if by chance this gets any better. However, once I've been treated poorly, it's kind of hard to really feel any better about it. I did some searching and it's hard to find anything else b/c of the Orange Bowl so we just might be stuck here. And unfortunately , that's how I feel - stuck! If we do stay, I will just have to try my best to put this out of my mind, enjoy my visit to the area and know that I won't ever stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Dawn N
I'm so sorry we could not accommodate your need for a private area to conduct your business needs. We have learned from your comments and understand the importance of being able to respond accordingly to our customer needs regardless of booking method. I apologize that your stay was not a good one and would love for you to give us another try in the future. We want our guests to have the best stay ever at our Residence Inn by Marriott. Thanks for your feedback! Please feel free to contact me directly or via email at cristina.andujar@whitelodging.com
Kent, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Had to stay for 10 days in June as my son was having an operation. unfortunately he was already incapacitated when we arrived as he had dislocated his shoulder ,which led to a very stressful journey from the UK. I was bowled over by the amazingly helpful and reassuring welcome from Ashley the manager. This wonderful service continued throughout the stay with so many kindnesses shown by Ashley and her staff. The one bed suite with sofa bed was spacious and comfortable but the kitchen was a little inadequately equipped. The stove top and micro wave ( with no instructions) were not enough for living there for 2 weeks However the breakfasts were so ample and with the weekly social events we didnt go hungry. The laudary service was helpful and the housekeeping was very efficient. All over the stay was excellent and I hope to stay there again under more pleasant circumstances.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miramar
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale SW/Miramar
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
Wingate by Wyndham Fort Lauderdale Miramar
Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale SW/Miramar
Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Pembroke Pines
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale West / Pembroke Pines

Been to Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale SW/Miramar? Share your experiences!