“Not Bad - Needs Better Oversight”

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale SW/Miramar
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Miramar
Reviewed February 5, 2012

The Courtyard Fort Lauderdale is a nice enough place to stay, but sometimes it's the little things that make the difference between a great stay and just an OK one. The check-in process was very smooth and the front desk staff very accommodating. No issues there. The breakfast was great in a large area with a comprehensive buffet - costs $9.95. It was somewhat disconcerting to be told breakfast is available and then find out it is not free, but it was a good value and convenient. A better quality of coffee would be a nice touch. Real cream for the coffee in a pitcher or thermos would have been good as well considering the breakfast is a paid affair.
The room I had was fine, good lighting and free Internet. The wireless connection was very poor in my room (mentioned by others in their rooms as well) but there also was an option to hard wire connect and that worked pretty well. My room did not have an extra blanket though an empty plastic bag in a dresser drawer attested to that fact there had been one in there at one time. Others in my group all mentioned they had found and used their extra blankets. The second day I was there I returned to my room to find it had been cleaned but none of the trash had been taken out. Between the trash situation and the missing blanket I came to the conclusion that there does not seem to be much oversight in the housekeeping department. The bath tub slip mat was still lying in the tub.
The hotel had 24 hour free coffee in the lobby with cookies in the afternoon. The hotel is in the middle of a complex of hotels so walkability to any shops, restaurants, etc. is not an option unless you want to go to another hotel restaurant. It is very accessible from the highway.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Miguel H, Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale SW/Miramar, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. We will definately take all of your comments into consideration. We hope to see you again here at the Courtyard by Marriott Miramar in the near future!

Reviewed November 30, 2011

I stayed here four weeks this year and was supposed to stay there all this week as well. For the first time ever I checked out early because of the hotel. Prior to this week it was just an OK hotel. Nothing special but tolerable, and I stayed there to get Marriott points. This week, though, I found a long hair in the shower when I first went in, the curtain liner had mildew, and there were soap streaks on the shower walls. The room also had sugar ants, as did a room I stayed in there a few weeks previously. I politely told the front desk the next morning and they said they would take care of it. That evening I found I had a new curtain liner but the long hair was still on the shower and was still streaked. Plus I found that they didn't give me any washcloths. At that point I gave up and went to the front desk to tell them I'm checking out the next morning, which I did. I'm now at another hotel that is much cleaner and nicer.

Other things I didn't like but won't matter to everyone: No Comedy Central on the TV so I couldn't watch the Daily Show live. Also, the elliptical trainer in the fitness room did not have a heart rate goal setting. The hotel I switched to has both of these.

2  Thank lemuel1
IndyGM2009, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale SW/Miramar, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2014

I assure you that things have changed since your stay. Please come see us again.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

The courtyard Miramar/Ft Lauderdale is a convenient and typical courtyard chain. Improvements include the single serving of beverages in room and little guest pack we received at check in. Its close and convenient to highways, shopping and restaurants. Good hotel if visiting family and friends in the area. The food bar is hopping in the mornings only, quiet and deserted other times. Business center area is convenient with only two stations, but was not busy.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Hotel was clean, staff was very friendly. Gave me a late checkout without problem and even upgraded me to a suite when i checked in. Coffee in the lobby in the morning was a plus (i think i overslept for breakfast).... there is a wallgreens on the corner in case you forget anything. I would stay again.

Room Tip: had room 523... the AC was a bit noisy but it kept the room cold like i like it... so no complaints.
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I enjoyed my stay,bed was comfee,and the hot meals was filling...

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Pretty good hotel. Not situated right off a major road like 95 (so you don't get car noise), and not huge. In a complex with a couple other hotel/motels, seemed pretty clean and people were nice.

They had a eating area on the 1st floor which I didn't try, and a very small bar (same deal, didn't get a chance to try). Lobby itself was pretty normal, although they had a neat thing where they had fresh popped popcorn for you for free when you were coming into the hotel in the afternoon/evening, which was a really neat pick me up.

Again, nothing too crazy, but rates seemed reasonable and would consider it if I was going to be in the area again. Also pretty close to the shops at Pembroke Gardens, which a lot of people seem to like (see our other reviews for feedback on them).

Room Tip: The in room fridge is handy, but can be noisy, I unplugged mine.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The Courtyard Miramar / Ft Lauderdale is a very average Courtyard.

the only places within walking distance are fast food places and a starbucks; anything else will require transport. Hotel itself seems ok; the bar in the hotel is closed / abandoned or had its license removed - not certain but there's nothing to be had so BYOB if needed.

The standard breakfast buffet was a little under average I'd say: less choices and worse in quality than normal.

Outdoor pool and indoor gym are here.

If you have business in the area here; then fine otherwise better choices I think are across the street.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miramar
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale SW/Miramar
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale SW/Miramar
Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Pembroke Pines
Wingate by Wyndham Fort Lauderdale Miramar
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale West / Pembroke Pines

Been to Courtyard Fort Lauderdale SW/Miramar? Share your experiences!