“Great time!”

Surfside Resort
OKC
“Great time!”
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Our stay at the Surfside resort Destin, FL was great! We rented our condo directly from the owner, however, we originally found the condo on VRBO.com.

We were hesitate to go because hurricane Gustav was suppose to hit just west of Destin the day we were to arrive. But the owners were very understanding so we wound up going. And we are so glad we did!

We had a 3 bed, 3 bath condo. We had 6 adults and 1 baby. It was furnished with most everything we needed. Could have used a few minor things but not really a big deal. Our balcony was huge! Loved that!

First of all, we were there Sept 1st (Labor Day) for the whole week. There was no crowds at all. Very good time to go. Pick your spot on the beach. The ocean was a little rough but to be expected with the hurricane and all. Perfect weather though. Windy for the first 3 days, with double red flags, but after that. great! We actually liked the wind.

The Surfside resort was good. We did have a little trouble with our air conditioner getting cold enough, but it was still cool. However, had it been in the heat of the summer, then that might have been a problem.

We didn't have to deal with the resort people at all since we booked directly with the owner. The resort restaurant and tiki bar were closed though which would have been nice had they been open. The pool felt great and there were two hot tubs as well as a kiddie pool too. The walkway over the road to the beach was nice but just as easy to cross street too. The owner of our condo provided complimentary beach service so that was a real plus.

The area around the condo was very nice. The condo's across the street and directly behind were very nice! You really had to drive to most everything though except there was a restaurant on the beach that you could walk to. It was the Whales Tail I believe it was. We only got drinks there one night though so couldn't comment on the food. But I did hear it was expensive.

We didn't have issues with the elevators like I've read on here before. But it may have been because it wasn't busy this time of year.

Would I stay here again? Probably would.

• Liked — Easy access to the beach
  • Disliked — the cleanliness (or the lack of) the condo and I wish it were directly ON the beach
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Oklatraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Atlanta, Ga.
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I agree with the blogger's review dated 08 August. We were there week 04 August. The tiki bar, restaurant and beach bar were closed. The pool area was rundown and no umbrellas. The pool surface was grungy, the bathhouse was filthy and the pool is small for a bldg this size. I would check photos carefully before you book. This is an older property, so each unit is updated whenever. Some are recent and are beautiful, and some look like early 1990s Waverly. The sliding glass doors are nasty as well as the lobby looks tired. The property appears to need a major overhaul and after that, will be nice again as Surfside had its heyday at one time. The east facing units have a great view of the shore. The parking attendant is a pain and will hand out tickets that look like real parking tickets. There are only 2 slow elevators. We had family staying at the Ariel Dunes next door and what a difference. A new property with several pools, several/fast elevators and modern amenities. The parking was very ample and the gate attendant was very nice. The Ariel Dunes folks even paid less. I hope Surfside renovates soon.

• Liked — East view of the shore
  • Disliked — Pool area, closed restaurants, parking attendant
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank GoneagainfromAtlanta
tennessee
Reviewed August 8, 2008

Beware; this hotel advertised amenities that simply did not exist. We were on the 9th floor with young children and the sliding glass door lock was broken. maintenance eventually fixed it, after some hesitation from the managing broker. no remote control for an ancient TV, VCR instead of DVD player, NO poolside tiki bar, No restaurant in hotel, NO umbrellas at pool, NO tennis courts, photos that were presented to us were not of this property.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank destinflorida
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We went to Destin and met up with some friends. We went to visit our friends at their condo - Surfside and we were so jealous! We just loved the deck, pool, view, etc. It was conviently located near enterainment, food, and shopping. We are going back to Destin in 2 weeks to stay at the Surfside Condos. We're looking forward to it!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hpet0855
alabama
Reviewed June 15, 2008

My family and I just returned from vacationing for the third year at Surfside in Destin we enjoy it more and more each year. My husband and I have decided to return in August without the family for some private time-I would recommend this resort to anyone visiting the Destin area-great location , great shopping, good food and the beautiful Emerald Coast what more could you ask for?

• Liked — location and quiet environment -no wild rowdy people experienced
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
acr22tn
Reviewed June 6, 2008

It was an AMAZING time for my family and I! The whole resort was very clean, the staff was exceptionally friendly...they always talked to us and smiled!!! The views and ameneties were endless! I know from my time there I, have already booked my vacation there and my sisters wedding for this September I love it soooo much! I highly recomend it to anyone and everyone! The beaches are very clean, and I just cannot say enough nice things about it!

Angela Redden
& Family

• Liked — anything and everything!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Tennessee
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Me and my family love surfside! This past june was the sixth year in a row we have stayed there and already have reservations for 08' as well.
Great location and excellent facilities. We won't even think of staying anywhere else.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miramar
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Wingate by Wyndham Destin
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Destin

Been to Surfside Resort? Share your experiences!