“Disappointed: They've got to be better than this!”

Wingate by Wyndham Fort Lauderdale Miramar
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Miramar
Lake Mary, Florida
“Disappointed: They've got to be better than this!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Disappointed

We stayed in room 314.

WET FLOOR: The first indication of an issue was that when we got off the elevator at the third floor there were large towels on the carpet. The carpet was obviously wet and there was a musty wet smell. A large fan was blowing on the carpet. The room was fine. It was pretty cool in the room because we just came from the beach.

WATER PROBLEMS: My wife started the water in the shower and complained that there was no COLD water. Sure enough, the bathtub and the sink only ran completely hot water. We were not able to control the temperature. I called the desk and was told someone would be up to look at it. The response was pretty fast (10 min.) but the maintenance man seemed put out by the matter. It took about 20 minutes to get the water working correctly. My guess is that this was not the norm for this hotel.

AIR CONDITIONING MALFUNCTION: Next… We couldn’t control air temperature in the room. The room just got colder. It was getting late so I just unplugged the wall unit and thought I’d just plug it back in later if it got too warm. But, at about 1:30 AM it got too warm in the room to sleep and when I plugged the unit back in it wouldn’t come on. I called the front desk. There was no maintenance staff. They sent the security guard to tap on the thermostat that read “Fatal Error”. Of course, the man was not able to do anything about it. We were offered to move to another room, but at that time of the morning we chose to just stick it out. I opened the front door for a bit until the room cooled down some. I was told that a maintenance person would be in to fix it at about 7:30 AM but no one ever came. We planned to stay until the noon check out time, but we ate our breakfast and checked out early. The breakfast bar was very nice.

SERVICE: Front staff not all that friendly. Attitude. Maybe because we may have interrupted a personal phone call. Whatever. This guy couldn't care less if we were there or not. He clearly needs to be in a different line of work if friendly service is part of the Wingate business plan. I’m in the guest service business and this team falls short. It's hard to find good people. The Security guard represented the company better than the front desk guy. While having breakfast I overheard one employee complaining to another about working there. The lady that was overseeing the breakfast bar was attentive and very pleasant. The security guy was nice, but what could he do about our air conditioning problem. The maintenance guy who came to the room was clearly disengaged and not customer friendly. By the looks of things he had a rough day.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the I-75 side. Very noisy when the air conditioner is not working.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank goingcoastal1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
baton rouge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Third time staying. Room clean, staff pleasant, on site security, hotel close to all attractions.....Miami Beach, Sawgrass, Fort Lauderdale, shopping right across interstate, restaurants within walking distance. Continental breakfast has good selection, cookies and coffee at night when you return to hotel. Room was serviced every day; read flyer in bathroom regarding room being serviced. Only complaint is Wolfgang Puck coffee in room is HORRIBLE. Do not try but coffee in lobby is very good. Will stay next time and every time in area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank shergarcia
Sanford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

The rooms were very well kept. The continental breakfast was good as well, great variety. Definitely will stay again when I'm in that area!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

1 Thank Marisa D
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I enjoyed my stay...the women in housekeeping were great...rooms were clean...i dont like the loud vent in the bathroom...I didn't like the attitude of the front desk agent the night that I checked in...other than that...I would stay here agin

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

1 Thank Lakeisha B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miramar
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale SW/Miramar
Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale SW/Miramar
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale SW/Miramar
Fairfield Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Pembroke Pines
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale West / Pembroke Pines

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Fort Lauderdale Miramar? Share your experiences!