“Not Worth the Extra Money (and Bring Your Own Pillow!)”

Holiday Inn Express Milton
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Milton
Florida
“Not Worth the Extra Money (and Bring Your Own Pillow!)”
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We had never been to the Pensacola/Milton, Florida area before so prior to making reservations, I researched the different hotels in Milton. At the time we visited, the rates for this Holiday Inn Express were considerably more expensive per night than the competition in the immediate area, and, in addition, the rates were certainly more than we have ever paid for travel accommodations, but since it seemed to have slightly better reviews, I made reservations for the 2 nights we planned to be in Milton for a wedding.

PROS: The hotel's location was very convenient for our needs. The lobby & breakfast bar area was clean and tastefully decorated. Staff was friendly. All rooms were accessed through the lobby (versus outside entrances) so this felt safer and more secure. It was relatively quiet. Our room was equipped with a small refrigerator and microwave, a small coffee pot, iron, ironing board, and hair dryer for those who might need those conveniences.

Our biggest complaint was the bed pillows. When I sat down on the bed to watch TV, I kept getting repeated whiffs of something that smelled bad. The bed linens looked and smelled clean and when we first got to the room my husband had pulled the linens back to check the mattress so I didn't think it was the bed. With more sniffing, I discovered all 4 of the pillows smelled strongly of body odor. We asked for new pillows but the replacements were only slightly better. Normally we bring our own pillows when we travel but unfortunately, we didn't on this trip so both nights I slept with an extra tee-shirt I had in my suitcase over the pillow case to help reduce the odor.

The bathroom was a fairly good size and very clean, but compared to other comparable hotels I have stayed in, the actual room seemed rather small and crowded with too much furniture for the space. Our room was definitely smaller than website photos would lead you to believe. Interestingly, this small room had THREE phones; one on the nightstand, one on the desk 3 steps from the nightstand, and even one in the bathroom next to the toilet! :::rolling my eyes::: The room decor was average and typical of this type of hotel. Apparently, Holiday Inn is attempting to give their beds an upscale hotel look with their new line of “Simply Smart” bedding. Gone is the "hotel-type bedspread” but, in my opinion, the new linens are pretty basic in quality and looks…nothing special. The Holiday Inn website boasts their "cozy accent throw is designed to warm you from head to toe, providing a touch of home when you're on the road.” In reality, what they call a "cozy accent throw" at the foot of the bed is only a very thin, lightweight, cheap looking blanket. I will say the towels are very nice and a big improvement over the typical skimpy towels we’ve been offered in similar hotels. They are thick, fluffy and a generous size.

The breakfast bar had a pretty good variety of breakfast breads and cereals. However, the hot items left a lot to be desired. The so-called omelet looked and tasted like really bad institution food. The rubbery consistency reminded me of eggs that have been cooked in the microwave. In addition, it contained a pinky-orange substance in the center that they are calling "cheese" but it was solid and not the least bit melted, or appetizing. There were no scrambled eggs or hardboiled eggs, as advertised on the website. No sausage gravy or "flaky" biscuits, as advertised. The "crispy" bacon they also advertise was very undercooked, limp and dripping in grease. I was disappointed the only sugar substitute offered for the coffee and tea was that icky "pink" saccharine stuff...none of the slightly more expensive (but much better tasting) Equal or Splenda. The second morning we opted to skip the breakfast bar and eat out.

If you are looking for accommodations in the Milton, FL area, don't be sucked in like I was by the slick advertising on the Holiday Inn website. If you are expecting slightly nicer accommodations for the higher room rate they charge, forget it. In summary, my husband and I were not overly impressed with the Holiday Inn Express in Milton, FL and did not feel it was worthy of the room rate we paid. It wasn't terrible but overall, it was no better than hotels we have paid $30.00 a night less for. This is a perfect example that more expensive is not always better. We would NOT spend the extra money to stay here again if we needed to travel to the Milton area in the future.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OneReluctantTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Traveler
Reviewed October 6, 2008

This is a very nice property. It has an atrium interior and the rooms are very nice as well.
My room was $127.55 (including tax) and was called a 'King Leisure Suite'. It was pretty nice but a little overpriced for what you get.
The rooms are a good size and have all the extras one has come to expect from this chain. The breakfast was up to the usual Hol-Inn-Exp standards and I really can't think of anything negative about this property at all.
Having said all that be aware that the only food available anywhere near the motel is a Waffle House and Quiznos at the gas station.
I would recommend this property to all types of travelers with no reservations at all.

• Liked — I liked the atrium interior.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Ozcfied
Carmichael, California
Reviewed January 24, 2007

This was the first night of our unexpected journey from Orlando to Sacramento. We were supposed to fly but my wife developed an ear infection and could not fly home, so rented a car. The location is about 15 miles east of Pensacola and sits in an open area off of Interstate 10 and far enough away so no highway noise. The clerk recommended a nice steak house about five miles away - the Texas Road House. Being it was Saturday evening it was crowded (the roadhouse that is). Typical of Holiday Inn Express establishments it has a very nice breakfast area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank N6JM
WV
Reviewed October 14, 2006

What a nice motel. We had a spacious suite; sitting area, refrigerator, microwave, wet bar; $107 plus taxes. There were cheaper rooms. Our room, 103, has the eating area just outside the door. From check-in to check-out we never heard a sound; I can't recall a quieter stay. . "Fancy" bedding. A note: You will have to drive to Milton, about 10 minutes away, to find a restaurant or fast-food franchise. You can walk to Quiznos or the Waffle House, but that's it.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Quiet
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Rodein
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2006

We had a large group (5 couples) traveling on motorcycles Memorial Weekend. We booked the hotel a few months in advance to assure the availability of 5 rooms. We were all pleasantly surprised with the rooms. Very large king size rooms with a sitting area that included a full wet bar. Beds and decor were comfortable and more upscale than the usual HI Express. Wonderful large open 3 story lounge area to watch TV and relax. And of course the breakfast was wonderful - nice selection. Easy location off I-10. Would definitely stay again if in the area....

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank Debbie S
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Room was VERY nice. Instead of the 'regular' bedspread that you find in hotels, this one had a crisp white down-filled comforter on the bed, which gave the look of a more expensive hotel. The room had a ceiling fan which was a nice touch and kept the air from smelling like a typical hotel. The bath linens were crips white and monogramed. The bath accessories (shampoo, conditioner, etc...) were comtemporary and left a very nice look to the bathroom. THE GREATEST PART of the room was that it was CLEAN and had a lovely citrus scent to it! (I even walked on the carpet in bare feet, which is something that I usually do not do in hotels!)

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

The continental breakfast was plentiful and nicely done.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
miami
Reviewed August 21, 2005

I stayed at this property just one night on August 12th of 2005 and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel seemed very clean and well-kept, it must be relatively new. The rooms were spacious and well-equipped (microwave, refrigerator, coffee-maker, Tv with premium channels and more). The rate ($99 including tax) included a great breakfast eggs, bacon, cereals, donuts, muffins and bagels, along with a variety of juices and coffee. Overall very pleasent and much better than the other hotels in the area. The only drawback is that it's located about 10 miles from downtown Milton, but it's worth the ride.

1 Thank juanlb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milton
Red Roof Inns & Suites Pensacola East - Milton
Regency Inn & Suites
#4 of 6 in Milton
Hampton Inn & Suites Navarre
Best Western Navarre Waterfront

Been to Holiday Inn Express Milton? Share your experiences!