“Disappointing”

The Queens at Selborne
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Selborne
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed here for two nights B&B with my wife. We weren't impressed. There's nothing terribly wrong but little things just added up to a fairly unsatisfactory stay. Room (Queen Bee) was on first inspection, fairly pleasant. However it had a very obvious damp problem and slightly fusty smell greeted us whenever we entered the room. The deco in general was also a bit tired and not very well finished, so it didn't feel special (photographs look better than the reality).

Tea making facilities were provided but UHT milk and cream both way out of date and curdled instantly. Went to get some fresh milk from the bar, but this was also starting to go off!

Continental breakfast was included, but was limited to tea/coffee, orange juice, toast, croissant, ham and cheese (no cereal). Apparently a cooked breakfast is available for £6 but we were served continental breakfast without being offered an alternative. Coffee was pretty nasty as well.

Can't comment on the restaurant but I wouldn't chance it personally based in experience at breakfast.

The building is lovely and has great potential, but there are too many obvious shortcomings. Unfortunately cannot recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank C M

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Four of us visited this pub on a beautifully sunny day and had a pleasant lunch in their "secret" garden - actually not a secret at all as there's a large sign pointing to it from the main street in this charming village.

The menu was somewhat limited, but we were all able to find choices to suit us. We didn't have to wait too long for service and the food was fine.

If I was in the area again, I'd probably go back there.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I took a foreign business colleague here for dinner because it is a lovely village and the Queens Head always looked appealing when passing.

The menu is quite small but this is fine if it is all seasonal and well cooked. Some of the dishes are way overpriced, scallops for £7.95 when all you get a two very small scallops is stretching it!

We ordered the steak with black pudding which was nicely cooked, but aside from mash it isn't served with any vegetables, strange!

What really annoyed me is it is a village pub/restaurant with one young lady serving, who did an OK job, but they have the audacity to automatically add a 10% service charge! This frustrates me because when you are in company it is not nice to start asking for it being taken off, and I am sure this is what they rely on, so I for one will not be returning because there are many other better establishments in the area, The Thomas Lord, The Hurdles, The Pub With No Name, who do not adopt this distasteful practice!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank ChrisNicholson1967
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed at the Queens for a quiet weekend away from the city. The inn is situated in a wonderful little village and its surrounded by bush walks. The room we had a good size and it was tastefully appointed. The restaurant serves amazing authentic French cuisine, I had the duck and it was superb. The staff were friendly and professional. Try the wonderful beer garden on a sunny day or go for a walk to the ponds situated behind the inn. Otherwise relax in a nice setting with a cold beer.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Simon H
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We happened upon this village and decided to stay at Queens and I am so glad that we did.

The rooms are big and beautifully decorated. The bathrooms have huge roll-top baths.

But here's the main thing - THE FOOD IS INCREDIBLE. You have to visit this place and eat, even if you can't get a room.

Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Philipstorey
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from a weekend break visiting friends and the Jane Austen house etc. The Queens is absolutely brilliant. A small family run operation with huge attention to detail. The owner Erick Chobert was very gracious and made us all feel really special. The staff are brilliant. Always available but never in your face. The setting is wonderful in a beautiful English village with a sunny garden and seconds away from great walks.
The place itself is warm and welcoming with many areas to be private or be social. The bed was really comfortable (a good night's sleep is a must for me), the menu was eclectic and the food delicious.
I would recommend this place in a heartbeat.
I will definitely return but would recommend early booking as there are only about 5 rooms and I don't want to miss out.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Antilles57
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I went here to meet some family and friends for a long awaited catch up and we were certainly glad that we chose this venue as our place to meet. From the moment we stepped through the door we were made to feel special by the staff. Our food was wonderful, the service was first class and Eric the owner couldn't of done more to make us feel welcome. I will certainly be recommending this place to all my friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Teresa A

Been to The Queens at Selborne? Share your experiences!