“Great last minute check in”

Howard Johnson Inn Tallahassee/Midway
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Midway
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My wife, daughter and I were traveling up from Tampa to see my parents and realized it was too late to get to their house and not keep the whole house up. We stopped at the flying J across the street and grabbed a discount magazine and saw a great deal for the HoJo midway, which worked out being right behind us. We were greeted with a friendly face by terkia. She got us into a great room with one bed, which works best so our daughter can sleep with us. We were very pleased with the cleanliness of our room. It was nice and cool when we walked into the room since the air was on. After putting out items into our room we went back to the lobby to find out some info about the area and were then greeted by Lana, who was amazing. She helped keep our two year old entertained and wore her out so we could sleep that night, while we pick up some of the multiple brochures in the lobby. Lana made sure we knew when breakfast started, when it ended, what there was for breakfast, and reassured that we knew when check out was. We really like the fact that check out isn't until noon. Giving us plenty of time to get breakfast and feed our daughter while being able to enjoy the great, big, nice hot shower. Lana did our wake up call for us and it was a pleasant wake up call. Any other hotel has been an annoying person at the other end of the wake up call, but we really enjoyed having Lana give us our wakeup call. You need more people like Terkia and Lana! They were amazing and we appreciated them. We will for sure be using this hotel on our next trip to see my parents. Hopefully Terkia and Lana are working again. We really enjoyed our stay that much more thanks to them!

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed June 25, 2014

When myself, my husband and my daughter got to the hotel we were very pleased with our front desk clerk, Terkia. She welcomed us and helped get us checked in. Then her shift change partner, Lana, came in and helped us SO much by entertaining our 2 year old while we finished checking in and grabbed a cup of coffee. Lana made sure we had everything we needed to get ready for our stay. Our room was amazing and the bed worked perfectly for the three of us to sleep in. We called down to the desk to get our wake up call. Lana called us the next morning and have us the best wake up call we could've had! We then went down to get breakfast and Lana explained what everything was, even helped us work the waffle maker since we couldn't figure it out. :) she is the reason we will use this hotel again when we return for a visit to see my in laws. We live in the Tampa area. Thank you so much Lana!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was traveling late at night on my way for work the next day and just needed somewhere to sleep before continuing. This place was available, gave me a discount, and was surprisingly quiet for being so close to the interstate.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank bjellyb
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Have stayed at this Motel previously and had a very wonderful experience. Room was very clean and comfortable as well as affordable. Lana who was at front desk was extremely helpful and so very nice. They need more employees like her. She went out of her way to help us and made things so easy. They had a great continental Breakfast. I will definetly stay here again. Lana we will see you again hopefully.. P.D.T.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patsy930
Reviewed May 14, 2014

During a long trip to Florida, we arrived in the Savannah, Georgia area, only to find no hotel rooms available for the night. We contacted Hotelsrate.com requesting a hotel within a short distance from Savannah. The agency found a hotel close, and booked it for us. Within 5 minutes of the booking, we realized that there was a mistake-the hotel was on the other side of the state. The agency called the hotel within 10 minutes and cancelled the reservation. They said that they would need to talk to the hotel manager the next day to ensure there would be no charges from the hotel’s end, but they would not be charging us because it was immediately cancelled.
The next day, the agency called back and told me that “Shannon, the office manager” at Howard Johnson’s Midway/Tallahassee was not going to waive the charges. They told me I would need to contact her.
I immediately contacted her and she told me that the charges would stand because they held the room for me all night and that nobody had cancelled the reservation. I told her that “Joanna”, a hotel employee, had been contacted the evening before to cancel. She said that Joanna never told her anything about it. I challenged her on that point because Joanna is a hotel representative, and that Hotelsrate records all conversations and recorded the fact the room had been cancelled. She then told me that it didn’t matter because when she talked to Joanna, they had decided just to charge us because it was after 4:00-Shannon clearly lied to me about Joanna not talking to her. Then she told me there was nothing she could do because the charges had already gone through! Lie #2. (Huh?! Credit card charges can’t be reversed?!)
At this point, it was clear to me that she was an unprofessional, unethical management rep and asked for the hotel manager. In a snippy tone, she told me he was not in but forwarded me to his extension. I left a message for “Gary Patel” to return my call. After not hearing from him, I continued to call back and after 6 times over the past 4 weeks I have given up. He is never there and never returns calls. I now fully understand how Shannon’s unprofessional, dishonest behavior is tolerated-her boss obviously does not have a customer service focus either.
Especially disturbing is the fact that I just want to discuss this with someone who cares about the customer. I clearly recognize that there was a mistake making the reservation, but expect to at least have a rational discussion with someone who cares instead of an office manager with a harried, out-of-control tone in her voice. So, I called Howard Johnson Corporate. They filed a complaint and told me that “Gary” had 4 days to respond to the complaint. A week later, I had not heard anything back, so I called Corporate again. They then told me that since this is a franchise, there is nothing they could do. (Really? Why even have a corporate customer service department if there is nothing they can do?)
Stay away! This Howard Johnson’s is a disgrace to the hotel industry. The people who run this hotel are unprofessional and cannot be trusted. Shannon lied to me 3 times during the discussion and is clearly unfit to handle the position she is in. The franchise owner, Gary Patel, must be a serious liability to the Howard Johnson’s brand image. Failing to return calls to a customer shows a poor management habit, no customer service perspective, and a weak, introverted owner.
Read the other blogs and you will see a pattern of deceit and a poorly run operation. I especially noted the on-going customer service problems that have been acknowledged by the manager-it goes back years! Another example of a major customer service issue at this location. I am just thankful I never made it to the hotel!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed May 2, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midway
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Midway, FL
Red Roof Inn Tallahassee - University
Best Western Plus Tallahassee North Hotel
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Tallahassee
Baymont Inn & Suites Tallahassee
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tallahassee

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Tallahassee/Midway? Share your experiences!