“nothing fabulous”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The food was average at best. Not one of those places that I would return to. Don't order the mac and cheese. Very bland. Meat was tender, but had to really put on alot of sauce.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

The BBQ here is simply off the chain good! The pork literally will melt in your mouth.Go at lunch time or they may run out of pork..It is that good.No visit to Micanopy is complete without a stop at Pearls for BBQ.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

After some disappointing BBQ at another local Gainesville location and at a highly-rated BBQ place in Tampa, we returned to Pearl Country (3rd visit) to see if it lived up to our memory. It did.

If you've never been here before be prepared: Pearl Country Store is the local mini-market attached to a gas station in the small, rural town of Micanopy, population=653. The small seating area in the store is nestled between the food aisles and the BBQ counter. Some days are cleaner than others and you may want to linger. Today, the seating area was packed but I had planned on just take-out. I left with a ½-pound each of ribs, chicken and beef brisket.

The ribs were as good as expected and put to shame any other ribs I've had. The meat falls off the bone with the lightest touch. If you order it in the store, the ribs are served between two slices of bread. It's a small matter to nudge the meat off the bone on to the bread and make a sandwich. The meat is soft, moist, flavorful and barely needs chewing. It's a revelation.

This was my first time trying the chicken...it was good, but, hey...it's chicken.

As great as the ribs are, for me the winner is the beef brisket, so delicious you will want to simply eat it out of the styrofoam tray: beefy, smokey and moist. Today, I had a specific plan: mushrooms and onions were grilled, a couple of slices of quality sliced Italian bread were prepared with a little mustard, then an open faced sandwich assembled with fresh mozzarella on top. The open sandwich was toasted and then assembled to make a barbecued beef sandwich with grilled mushrooms, onions and gooey mozzarella. Best sandwich ever.

Outstanding food does not have to be fancy, nor expensive and Pearl Country Store has the goods to prove it. It you enter the store and it's too downscale, take out!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

On first glance the menu seems pricey, but you will not feel that way once you see the huge portions. We both ordered regular sandwiches ($7.50 each) and split an order of fries ($1.75) .Mine was beef brisket, hers pulled pork and in no way would we classify them as regular size, easily weighing in at over 8 oz of meat each. The jumbo at $2.00 more must be enough for two people. My wife rated the pork as excellent, as I did with the brisket. Most times I avoid brisket. I do a lot of smoked meats on my own smoker and brisket needs to be sliced very thin against the grain most of the time and is often either too fatty or dry and relatively tough. This is the first time I had large chunks that were neither dry, nor fatty and the portion was huge. They offer many Southern style sides at $2.25 each, including mac & cheese, collards and green beans, as well as full dinner plates that included ribs. They also have several home-made pie slices. Service was quick and drink refills free. The only negative is that if you love really hot sauces, you need to doctor your sauce with hot pepper sauce or bring your own. The hottest were Southern Hot (too much brown sugar to get any heat) and Carolina Hot which is not very hot, but fill of flavor. We are coming back to try ribs next time. I am a BBQ nut and would recommend this place as a destination, not just a place for a quick bite on the way to Micanopy shops.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We kept hearing about this place that it had the best ribs in the area. Since we do not live that far we tried it out for breakfast. All I can say it was hard for all of us to get pass the dirt/grease in the restaurant. The restroom did me in and I will not be back.

3  Thank PaintedSunrise