Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Quality Inn(Gainesville)
$72
QualityInn
$99
WoodSpring Suites Gainesville I-75(Gainesville)(Great Value!)
$65
$65
All reviewsantique shopscross creekcarriage housepump houseold floridaclaw foot tubrose roombreakfast was deliciousspanish mossfresh baked cookiesupstairs verandaflorida townboth morningslate arrivalthird floorshort drivegainesville area
Reviewed January 13, 2010

The Herlong is the worst place to have your wedding, hands down! I just returned from my best friends' wedding. I've known the bride and the groom for a long time and was looking forward to the pending wedding. The Herlong held a special significance to the couple (the groom even proposed there). Unfortunately, from day one of the wedding weekend, the staff ruined the entire event. Service was horrible. The staff is EXTREMELY rude and unhelpful. Two of the staff members blatantly criticized wedding and hotel guests in front of the wedding party. On the day of the wedding, the staff on multiple occasions made the bride cry. Upon departure, I pulled the owner/manager aside and voiced my disapproval and she attempted to explain everything away. She blamed all of the mistakes on the caterers; however, she is the person who recommended them. The "wedding consultant/planner" was barely present; the groom had to orchestrate the processional himself. The owner overcharged guests and the bride and groom, and basically made the entire event memorable, if only in the worst way imaginable. Before heading down to the mansion, I had my doubts about the place. It's sad to be proven correct in this circumstance

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
8  Thank bestly
KiKiManhattan, owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2010

Although this review is not about the Herlong Mansion Inn and her staff (This is about the Caterers) it does affect us as no one wishes anyone to have "a ruined wedding". The Bride contracted with the Caterers and selected the menu and cost per person. Everything was presented and served using china, crystal ,silver and linens even though the Bride had elected to do a low budget affair. We are sorry some of her guests were not pleased with the Brides decisions and the thought and care that went into her selections. Excessive alcohol consumption by a few of the guests led to unattractive and verbally abusive behavior yet through it all the Catering staff remained professional. The Herlong extended significant discounts on the room rates to help the Bride and Groom with their budget restrictions even though it was Christmas week and a very busy time for us. The Herlong staff was thanked by the Bride numerous times and guests personally thanked us and I quote " for putting up with us". It was a Beautiful Full Moon Night and we hope the Bride and Groom will remember only the Loveliness of their special evening.
The Caterer has a special relationship with the Bride and Groom and the following is her response-
I recently met a young couple who were madly in love. The groom chose the Herlong Mansion to propose to his future bride. I was honored to serve them a Candlelight dinner to celebrate this beautiful occasion. They were so pleased with their meal and stay at the Herlong Mansion, they chose to exchange their wedding vows there and selected our catering company to serve them and their friends and family.
Unfortunately, some invited guests did not share their sentiment and criticized many decisions the bride and groom made for their wedding.
It is my hope that guests realize they were invited to be part of the joining of two people and keep their opinions to themselves when attending a wedding.
It's about sharing together what truly matters : love between people and enjoying this celebration with others you care about. With the right mindset, your wedding will be as unique and meaningful as your relationship.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

The first time I stayed at Herlong Mansion I brought my son up to Gainesville to tour the University and I thought it would be fun to show him Micanopy and the old cemetery. We had such a great time. The porch is so relaxing with it's swings and it's beautiful view. You're transported back to another time. The history of the house is very interesting and the family tree along with some of the letters and photographs of the original owners are decorating the hallways. The rooms are cozy and comfortable and we had such a great time that we stayed again when we came up for his orientation, and again months later to get him settled in his dorm. It was less than 15 minutes from Gainesville and SO much more fun than a regular hotel room. These weekends will always be good memories for us.
Walking distance away is a truly great pizza joint and we loved strolling down the street under the giant oak trees dripping with moss past all the old buildings.. There are great antique shops in Micanopy also. It really does look like a town forgotten in time.
I almost didn't want to share our experience because we loved that our room was available each time we came up and it was so peaceful and private that it seemed like our secret little alternative to the hotel rooms available in Gainesville. I will definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank tbelinda
Reviewed August 19, 2009

What an absolute Gem- The Herlong was truly lovely. From the moment we drove up the garden driveway, with all those blooming roses, I knew we were in for something special. We were welcomed warmly and given a little tour and then shown to our beautifully appointed room, the Herlong Suite. It was very clean and smelled wonderful (there are little bottles of essential oils placed all around). Our room opened out onto the most incredible veranda - So Quiet and at night All Those Stars !. Our Bed was very comfortable, we slept peacefully and in the morning we woke to the smell of freshly brewing coffee. The owner was very friendly and served us delicious cheese omelets for breakfast. The staff was also very helpful. Micanopy and the Herlong Mansion is a must for a peaceful, regenerating experience.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pinksandgirl
Reviewed August 16, 2009

It's hard to find a town like Micanopy. It's old Florida -- a town hidden by giant live oaks and spanish moss. The Herlong allows you to park your car and see the whole town on foot and escape the outside world. The Herlong itself offers clean, comfortable accommodations without the fussy fru-fru that's a signature of many B&Bs and small inns. The owners have a good knowledge of the area and when they don't know an answer to a question they direct you to places or people who might. The staff is equally helpful and seem to put a great deal of effort into maintaining the gorgeous building. Breakfast is simply prepared and quite good.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank benkite1
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I ditto the last two bad reviews, we stayed in May for UF graduation. The Carriage Houses were terrible, very old and musty, tired and frankly dirty-looking linens, rattly AC, and certainly no flat screened tv. Breakfast was pitifully small and unappetizing, cheese omelet?, not hardly. I agree the house itself has got great bones, the grounds are nice, but this place needs a complete overhaul. Way overpriced. We are extremely well-travelled, and love B and Bs with character, but this was a disappointment. Thank God, we all had a sense of humor.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank Debra1500
KiKiManhattan, owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2009

There most certainly is a Flat Screen Tv in the Carriage House and I have posted a picture so all may see this Flat Screen TV - Please look at the photos posted. Our Prices were elevated for the Graduation Weekend but most rooms are $149.00 a night. This includes The Country Breakfast and in the Evening we offer Wine, Cheese and Crackers and Home Baked Cookies- I'm sorry we didn't fit this reviewer's budget and that he found us "way overpriced". We are a Peaceful Award Winning Inn with many returning, wonderful guests so it always hurts to read such negativity. These three couples stayed two nights and had they found their linens "dirty-looking" etc. we would have gladly changed them- No one indicated that anything was "terrible". They seemed to be enjoying their last morning with us watching the Flat Screen TV we have in the Music Room.