“Wonderful time at the Herlong Mansion B & B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Micanopy
Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Micanopy B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My friend & I stayed here for a "girlfriend weekend getaway"..... She had driven through Micanopy several months earlier, and even tried to stay there at that time, but they were full. She was so enamored with the town and this home, that we decided to return. Driving up to this Southern Antebellum home took my breath away! I was not disappointed when we walked through the doors either. I would call the interior "eclectic". It's a nice mix of lovely antiques, with some interesting objects thrown in the mix! It all made sense after learning that the owners came from The Florida Keys where they also owned & operated a B&B. I found our room to be nice and clean and I just loved the old claw foot tub. The beds were very comfortable. The "Herlong" experience is so much more interesting & fun (as is the whole town) than any generic same old "run of the mill" place to stay & explore. I just love it! And, having wine, port & sherry there for the guests to enjoy, was an extra special touch ;) I highly recommend this wonderful old Beauty!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rose room because it had two double beds.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Tappy S

Reviewed February 2, 2014

THE MANSION Is a trip back to a differentt era.The bed was super COMFORTABLE .The history an the ANTIQUE s in the Mansion were just a prelude to the QUAINT little town. Thanks for our warm welcoming to the whole staff.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank jillkissel
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I have to agree with the last reviewer that it's seen better days long ago.. It is one of those maintenance nightmares.
Micanopy is a lovely little town to visit coming or going from Gainesville or if you are visiting the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings homestead. Which is well worth a visit BTW...
However the Herlong is not worth the visit, it is creepy, unkempt and needs a good once over inside and out. It has lovely gardens that would need a full time caretaker to maintain. I had to go buy soap they provided a bar about the size of a quarter. Not what you expect from what is billed.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary K
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

I sent a message to the reviewer and I have printed her response and my response to her

Hi Mary- I am so sorry to hear you found the Herlong lacking in amenities and that it could use some TLC. Would you tell me what room you stayed in so I may tell my housekeeper ? I know the soap is small but it is provided to get a guest through one night and not have to throw away so much unused soaps left behind. We would have gladly given you more if asked and we do have shower gels that we provide as well. My husband and I are always painting rooms and refinishing floors etc. so if you could tell me an area you found that could use some sprucing please tell me-I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you Carolyn
Reviewers response
Carolyn we stayed in the last room second floor on the right I think it was the Magnolia. However first appearances mean a lot. We walked in the door and things were in some disarray. Delivery boxes in the hall and the area where you greet guests was full of miscellaneous knick knacks and just looked terribly unprofessional.The toilet had some note on it about flushing and the little coasters under the dresser hadn't been replaced or cleaned in years. The light in the bathroom needed a new shade. I couldn't get WiFi in the bedroom and had to come downstairs to the lounge which isn't a terribly big deal but and I have experienced that before but you are just outside of Gainesville.
I am sorry to have to report this and understand what a vast ordeal it must be to stay ahead with a place like this.
My response

Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts- I had just received that delivery of boxes and do apologize that they gave you a first bad impression - I have also reviewed our office space area and addressed the "overload of personal knick-knacks" you found unprofessional looking. I have gone up to check on the lampshade (with an interior tear that was indiscernible from the outside) and will replace it- I removed the coasters and will be updating the hand written note on the commode (unfortunately,some guests need to be reminded so as to prevent the eventual clogging). I have recently updated that room with a new comforter set, new chairs and reading lamps - I also removed the oriental rugs and redid the floors to give it a lighter feel.
I do have a gardener but during this time of year (January) it is difficult to see the loveliness of our work.- come spring it is gorgeous. I provide free WIFI service but unfortunately have no control over the strength of reception in this rural area.
My husband and I are continuously working to improve the Herlong and have vastly upgraded it to what it looks like today. We do appreciate your helpful comments and hope you would reconsider your "Poor" rating as it tends to invoke a careless, thoughtless attitude on the part of the owner and staff which we are certainly anything but - I devote my time and effort to the Herlong (as does my staff) in assuring a comfortable stay in rural, unspoiled Micanopy.
It was a pleasure meeting your husband and providing him with information on the Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings State Park, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your visit there.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The mansion is a beautiful old house that, unfortunately, has seen much better days. The house is very cluttered with a lot of random, dusty, uninspired "stuff". Our room wasn't very clean and smelled musty. Breakfast was the worst I've ever had at a B&B -- completely uninspired and very small. We asked the person at the front desk (owner?) for a restaurant recommendation, and she said she didn't really go out much in the area (so no recommendation). Since this is pretty much the only show in town, I'd recommend staying outside of Micanopy and visiting for the day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bubbye
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

I wrote a message to this reviewer (which I have copied below) and never received a response. I don't believe this is a legitimate review as we can find no records for this person in our reservation system.
Here is what I wrote to the reviewer- "This is the owner and I'm so sorry you did not enjoy your stay. What room were you in so we can alert housekeeping to address the issues. Breakfast is usually quite bountiful so I'm not sure what you were served (could you let me know). My Staff is trained to recommend the Blue Highway Pizza and the Yearling Restaurant - Please let me know if these restaurants were not mentioned. I know everyone's taste is different but could you let me know Where you found uninspired clutter so I can give it an eye and de clutter the space. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know Thank you Carolyn "
Our Inn is routinely inspected by the Hotel (And Restaurant) Department of Health and Regulations and we have Never been cited Ever for Anything in any of our rooms and they inspect thoroughly so I can assure you that we are very clean. Our breakfasts always include eggs,meat, potato or grits with a breakfast bread and fruit so it is plentiful. We always are helpful with restaurant suggestions and we also have a binder full of restaurant menus set out in the Music room for guests to look through. So if you are ever Hell bent to stay in Micanopy we try to offer a Heavenly stay.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I recently spent a night at the Herlong Mansion to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We stayed in the Jasmine room and found it to be wonderful. It is an old house, so the room was small, but very comfortable. There was no TV, but that's part of the fun in staying in an historic bed and breakfast. There are wonderful nature areas nearby, and the town of Micanopy has a number of fun shops to explore. The Herlong was a beautiful, well maintained building, inside and out. From relaxing on the beautiful outdoor porch on the second floor, to picking citrus from the trees (we were visiting in late December), to the wonderful furnishing throughout, it was fantastic. The staff were friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed the wonderful breakfast served the next morning. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dbphillips
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay very much. Everyone was very pleasant, helpful and professional. It's a great place to get away and relax. The mansion is beautiful and the grounds lovely. The breakfast was super good and, again, service excellent. I would highly recommend the Herlong for that relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We stayed for one night and that is truly all we wanted to stay. We spent the night in the "Carriage House", worse place ever to stay!!!! Upon entering the room the first thing you see is an out of place jacuzzi in front of the bed, and of course can't forget the Rain-Ex jar sitting on the floor in the far corner. Should have told us something right there. The room was moldy and you could smell the mold in the air. Not a good place if you suffer from breathing problems. Also this is a Non-Smoking environment. They have NO POSTED signs anywhere notifying the customer that it is a smoke free establishment. They do that in order to charge you an extra $250.00 for smoking on their property!!! Again NO POSTED signs to warn you of this fact. They can even charge you if they smell smoke on your clothes, even if you didn't smoke there or not. Very Bad Business if you ask me. Read the Fine Print before you sign......

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christina Q
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Yes, we are a Smoke Free Environment and this guest Smoked cigarettes and Other non-tobacco based items causing quite a stench in the room. She was charged the $250.00 penalty and is writing her "review" as retribution. We send out our confirmations clearly stipulating the No Smoking policy- there are signs in the rooms and No Smoking policy on the guest registration form that one signs when checking in.
The Carriage House has a large Jaccuzzi tub off in the corner of the room -not directly in front of the bed. It is meant to be romantic and I'm sorry this guest did not find it so. There is a huge canopy of magnolias and oaks covering the Carriage House - we put Damp-Rid in the corner so that it can absorb any potential dampness created by the heavy shade. We totally renovated the Carriage House this summer- Re-did the floors, Fresh Paint throughout, removed old kitchenette and re-did bathroom -There is No Mold . We also put in a New King Bed and replaced older furniture.
I agree that one should read Everything not just the fine print : then they will know that this is a Smoke Free Property so everyone can enjoy a clean smelling, non-toxic environment.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Micanopy
10 mi away
DoubleTree by Hilton Gainesville
The Micanopy Inn
The Micanopy Inn
#2 of 2 in Micanopy
Sweetwater Branch Inn
Sweetwater Branch Inn
#1 of 5 in Gainesville

Been to Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!