“Advance Warning... Don't Reserve Here If You May Need to Cancel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Micanopy
Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Micanopy B&B and Inns
Amelia Island
“Advance Warning... Don't Reserve Here If You May Need to Cancel”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

No, I didn't get to stay at the Herlong. And after my experience with them so far, I will never stay there.

Back on Feb. 28, I was desperate to find a room in the Gainesville area for my son's graduation from UF on May 3. I finally found the Herlong Mansion and made a reservation for two rooms for two nights. A deposit of one night's fee for each room was charged immediately. About a week later, on March 8, I unfortunately found out that my son was not going to be graduating and I immediately asked to cancel the reservations. Because the cancellation was less than 60 days from the date of the reservation (it was ONLY 56 days out), the person in charge of the Herlong then cancelled the reservation and penalized me by charging the second night's fee to my credit card. So, in addition to the anguish of finding out my son wasn't graduating, I also got to forfeit over $1000 to the Herlong Mansion.

After some discussion, the person in charge said, well maybe if the rooms got used on the dates I reserved, they could refund one night's fee minus a cancellation fee of $25. Cancellation fee??? I'm trying to figure out how forfeiting the first night's fee couldn't have been the "cancellation fee." In the end, one of the rooms had been used for both nights and one had been used only for one night, not that my cancelled reservation had anything to do with whether or not someone else eventually reserved the rooms. So, after contacting the Herlong on the weekend of my cancelled reservations, I was told that one night's fee for one room, minus the $25 cancellation fee, would be refunded after they'd been paid for by the current guests. I waited... and waited... and waited... finally, after two weeks, I contacted the inn again and was told they'd sent the refund. I'm assuming I'll eventually see that on my credit card, but it's not there yet.

The lesson in all of this is: If you think there's any chance you'll have to cancel your reservation, do not make one here!!! And even if you DON'T think you'll need to cancel (I didn't think I would!!), think twice about reserving here.

Additionally, I'll have to agree with several of the other reviewers on this site - the woman I had to deal with on this situation was very curt and unsympathetic. Rude, actually.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Sharyl W
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
I have read this review with overwhelming disappointment. Graduation Weekend is one of our busier weekends and, therefore, we have the one night non-refundable deposit and 60 day notice policy in place. This reviewer knew this at the time of booking and joked that even if her son wasn't graduating they would still be coming. Unfortunately, they did cancel after the 60 day required notice and were subsequently charged the amount due. I spoke with this reviewer and even though I was not obligated to I promised her a refund should we re-book a room. Families plan well in advance for Graduation and that is why we have a strict cancellation policy in place- because the closer to Graduation the less likely it is to book a room. Fortunately, I was able to re-book the room and refunded the one night minus the standard fee. It is disappointing that this reviewer wasn't grateful for the refund and instead wrote this negative review
I must admit that it is difficult to be strict and adhere to the policies in place but this is business- as a compassionate human being I sometimes just want to crumple and give in and that is exactly why these policies exist -to protect the business. People don't like being told what they do not wish to hear and they perceive my being stern and steadfast as rude. All our reservation policies are clear and I do agree that one should not book a room if they are not sure they can accept the policies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Pinellas Park
Reviewed April 25, 2013

OMGosh, talk about getting away from it all and going to an unspoiled old town in Florida. We spent a very nice long week-end there to celebrate our 35th Wedding Anniversary, and stayed in the Azalea Suite. The grounds were beautiful, and the "house" was more like a warm and cozy "home" than a house. The pillow top bed mattress was very comfortable. The furnishings were beautiful and the way it was decorated was gorgeous. It was so peaceful there. We had never been to a B and B before and this sure was a good experience for us and we would love to go back again anytime. The breakfast was homemade and very delicious and was served to all by the very nice husband and wife owners. We had the chance to visit with her before we left and she was very nice to talk to and even took some pictures of us in front of the mansion. Can't wait to go back : ) Sincerely, Bev and Dan

Room Tip: The Azalea Suite was heavenly : ) Perfect for a husband and wife!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beverly M
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
It was a delight having you as quests to celebrate your Anniversary. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.
Mary Esther, Florida
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is the worst B&B we've ever visited! The room appeared to have never had a "deep" cleaning--especially the bathroom. The furniture was very cheap. The entry door to the room had a wide crack between the door and frame, such that you could see into the room from the hall. I had to put a blanket over it to keep out the hallway light and nosy neighbors from peering into the room.

Also, the ceiling fan and lights had only one switch--you couldn't have the fan on and lights off. I had to unscrew the bulbs to keep the fan going. The rooms had no TV--only a community TV room downstairs. I felt like I was back in the military.

Finally, and this is most important--the female owner was extremely rude! When my son, daughter-in-law, and grandson visited from Gainesville, she greeted us at the door by saying, "Can I help you?" I told her I was staying there and she said, "Well, we don't normally have people visiting our guests." I was astonished and told her in no uncertain terms that she had better get used to it. The nerve and unmitigated gall for her to say that is amazing to me--customer service be damned.

By the way, another business owner at an ice cream shop in Micanopy mentioned she had see her rudeness first hand, as well. So, in conclusion, I would not recommend this B&B to my worst enemy. It's only a short drive from Gainesville where they have much better accommodations.

Bob and Shirley Newburn
4 Kingston Court
Mary Esther, FL 32569

Room Tip: Don't go there--stay in Gainesville, instead. Their B&B's are much better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Bob N
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Well, after just now calling to speak with Mr. Newburn and being met with such shocking rudeness and a loud Hang Up I find it impossible to respond to this review as it is so full of incorrect statements. We deep clean our rooms religiously and we are furnished with antiques and high quality furnishings. Our doors are solid wood with no cracks. Yes, there is no TV in that particular room (a few rooms have a TV for guests that absolutely need one) The Herlong is trying to offer the experience of a Step Back In Time.
We had many guests staying with us during Mr. Newburn's visit and we like to keep the Herlong private for them without tourists walking through and disturbing them. That is why when a group of people with children came walking through my front desk girl and I asked "May we help you ?" . We ,of course, let them continue up to the room once we knew they were guests staying with us- Mr. Newburn Never Once Spoke To Me (although the suggested utterance to me of "I had better get used to it" is rather rude in itself)
The owners of the ice cream shop are friends and frequently have family members staying here at the Herlong- I also find it difficult to believe that a professional business owner of a food establishment would discuss another local business owner with a complete stranger while scooping an ice cream cone- And I just spoke with her and she's so upset and is coming over to see if I'm alright- that's the kind of small gentle town we live in.
Unfortunately, Mr. Newburn did appear to be having an unpleasant time of it throughout his stay and we would have been happy to rectify anything that he found that needed correcting but he never approached any of us.
Muskegon, MI
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed one evening at the Herlong. The good: the staff was courteous. The cookies were yummy. We appreciated the wine in the afternoon. The not so good: this b&b is way overpriced. We paid $149 for one night. Our room was musty smelling. I enjoyed the porch off our room, but needed to clean the chairs before using them. Plugs and extension cords hanging from the porch just looked unprofessional. My husband said he wished he had his tools so he could fix all the little things that needed work. Our breakfast was served by a very nice man, but the breakfast was small and nothing special. I would have entioned some of these concerns at checkout, but we left our keys on the desk as no one was there. This is a beautiful house, but it need some TLC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mhendon
KiKiManhattan, Manager at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
We are sorry you felt the $149.00 price which includes a full prepared breakfast served in our dining room plus the wine and fresh baked cookies served in the late afternoon to evening with sherry and port always out in the music room "way overpriced" - We have not raised our prices for over ten years even though gas, food, utilities have all escalated. Your room The Dogwood room is part of the original 1845 structure with the original Pine floorboards which might be that antique mustiness you smell- the french doors open out to the veranda which is an outdoor space and exposed to the elements which we thoroughly clean but occasional gusts of dust might settle between sweepings so we apologize that you had to brush off your chair. The tiny lights that lit the hanging metal globes were plugged into the only outlet available on the veranda hence the extension cord; as of this writing they have been removed so there are no longer any exposed cords on the Veranda.
We are pleased you enjoyed our courteous staff , yummy cookies and the evening wine.
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Herlong Mansion is truly a gem. The owners have preserved its grace and improved the home with meticulous attention to detail. The rooms are cared for with love and the trees and gardens are wonderful. Sit on the veranda with a glass of wine or cup of tea and feel your pulse slow. Stroll the grounds in beloved peace and quiet – just you and the birds - then relax. You’re now in the 1800s and being served a great hot breakfast by a most gracious staff. We’re going back again, but to be honest? A little of me is still there……thanks Carolyn

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen D
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Great Pictures Stephen...Thanks for posting them so everyone can see the lovely wildlife and birds we have all around here. It was really nice to have met you and I am Thankful to Carole for selecting the Herlong Mansion to celebrate your Birthday with us.
Gainesville, Florida, USA
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a place to stay for the night in Micanopy. It was our second wedding anniversary and we found the Herlong Mansion online. We called repeatedly to no answer for the better part of an afternoon. We called every number that was available and finally left a message for callback. No call took place. We decided that at that point we were close enough to the place to just stop by. We finally arrived around 7 pm and were impressed with the outside. The place was locked up and some women were inside. They saw us and gave us a number to call. The gentleman who answered the phone simply told us that we were to late. They obviously dont care about the person who is wanting to spend time in that historic place. They are more concerned with what is convenient to them. Good luck getting them to even answer their phone if you want to stay with them. There is good news for any travelers in the area. Shady Oaks. Frank made the whole evening great and made you feel comfortable. From what we experienced i'm sure that Herlong would not have been an enjoyable stay. I admit the place was beautiful but the staff available would obviously make the stay less than stellar. If the management changes it MIGHT be worth your time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Russell H
KiKiManhattan, Owner at Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
THIS REVIEW IS FROM SOMEONE THAT DID NOT STAY AT THE HERLONG.
We are so sorry you were unable to stay with us and enjoy the Herlong Mansion for your anniversary. Our front desk is open from 7:30 AM to between 4-6PM during the week and to 7-8PM on Weekends. We always answer the phone and respond to messages during office hours. The woman who called us late that evening at our home apologized for calling so late and without a reservation- she said it was a spur of the moment decision (no calls were received from them during the day as indicated in the review). My husband (professionally and politely) explained to her that the Herlong was closed for the night and no one was at the front desk at that hour- He suggested some other places and I'm happy that the Shady Oak was able to accommodate them. Reservations made in advance are mandatory in order to be able to stay at our Inn -especially if you are planning to arrive late at night. I really feel that giving the Herlong a one star for something beyond and out of our control is unjust .
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

The Inn itself was lovely and clean but the owners were not very friendly and the breakfasts were puny and we had no choices; tea and coffee were off brands, food was often lukewarm and bland. There were very few "extras" , the "free" wine was undrinkable and the cookies were gone five minutes after having been put out and no more offered.
The young girl who helped out (Rachel) was wonderful but the male counterpart was rather sullen. And you'd better get to breakfast before 9:30 because at 9:31 the leftovers, if any, we're whisked away!!!
I won't recommend it but it was the only place in town for a gathering.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank FrogzRMe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Micanopy
Comfort Inn University
#7 of 44 in Gainesville
Best Western Gateway Grand
Best Western Gateway Grand
#4 of 44 in Gainesville

Been to Herlong Mansion Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!